Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nvidia created a "Tesla P100" chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Computers built with it cost $130k though..
I didn't have time to look at the details on that, but I suspect that $130,000 is for computers that train the neural network.

Basically, they have teach the system how to drive much the way a person learns. It processes lots of real-world video taken from cameras mounted on cars and learns how to recognize what a motorcycle, or a dog, or truck looks like and where the lanes are on a road. I think it also gets inputs from the steering wheel, accelerator and brakes from actual drivers in order to learn how real people drive.

That learning requires lots of processing power and time. The result is a big file full of neural net "memories" storing what it learned. This is then installed in the car's "lunchbox"-size AI computer which then makes decisions based on that learning. This requires much less computer power than the learning process but it still takes a lot so they use specialized chips to make it go fast enough.

I vaguely recall that the goal was to get the lunchbox computer in the car down to around $2,000 or less.