Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Boost Subwoofer upgrade - installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just added the HepaKing Alpine sub to replace the oem one and now I have to turn down my LOC because the bass is too much 😵‍💫. The whole car is really rocking now.
IMG_8188.jpeg

IMG_8195.jpeg

Reactions: C-Bus Y
That cracking is odd. Did the noise go away without the speaker grill?

Given your continual push for more bass, I would suggest at least a 1K amp vs 500watts. Makes a big difference.

If you try the DB subs and they fit, please let us know. I would likely pick up a pair as well and then upgrade to a 1.5-2K amp. Could be fun to mount them inverted to give them a bit more box volume.

Fair warning, would seriously suggest a manual override switch for the amp turn on lead at this power level to assure it is ‘OFF’ when you get out of the car. This is getting to the upper limit of the factory DC/DC converter. It can also quickly drain the 12V battery. Anything more and additional lithium batteries for just the sub amp would be recommended.

Grabbed power wire from the factory amp and using signal sense from the factory sub wires. If I had to do it again I may have used the toggle switch to turn ALL of it on. This seems to work very well.

You can see the tap here.
Curious as to how to wire the toggle switch to turn all of it on? What wire would you intercept?

Last edited:
My switch intercepts the 12V out after the LOC and controls the remote-in for the Amplifier.

Suppose you could also do it before the LOC as the remote-in and control both pieces of equipment.

I was worried about a turn on ‘thump’ and the LOC does not take much power to run. It also turns off when the car goes to sleep as it is powered by the same wire that powers the factory amplifier.

I feel very safe about this setup and it is nice to be able to completely turn off the sub for podcasts and such. Or when the wife is in the car, she hates the subwoofers haha. Just remember to turn off before getting out of the car.

Yes the VADM1 amp works great. I tapped the penthouse with no issues. Been running since October and not one error code and has never failed.
Another question - did you disconnect the penthouse gray plug before installing? I know this was procedure on the model 3 but I did this on my MYP and it is now dead after about 2 hours of being disconnected. I think unplugging the penthouse drains the low-volt lithium ion battery in the frunk. Got roadside assistance coming out now. smh

Another question - did you disconnect the penthouse gray plug before installing? I know this was procedure on the model 3 but I did this on my MYP and it is now dead after about 2 hours of being disconnected. I think unplugging the penthouse drains the low-volt lithium ion battery in the frunk. Got roadside assistance coming out now. smh
I hate to hear that situation but yes you want to unplug the HV battery if you don’t I got a hell of a kickback when connecting. I did on both my 3 and Y. Never had an issue with the low voltage battery draining though. I have the older 12v system so maybe that’s a factor.

Reactions: St3phen
Yes I unplugged the penthouse HV battery. Never had an issue with the LI battery draining.

I hate to hear that situation but yes you want to unplug the HV battery if you don’t I got a hell of a kickback when connecting. I did on both my 3 and Y. Never had an issue with the low voltage battery draining though. I have the older 12v system so maybe that’s a factor.
Yeah, I did this on my 3 and never had issues. I’m wondering if maybe I disconnected the wrong thing. (I only saw one grey plug under the rear passenger side - assuming that was it). Will need to research this some more before attempting again.

Been going over all I did and I can’t figure out what would have caused the low voltage lithium battery to die since I disconnected the penthouse. I was getting alerts from the car about doors being opened though, so that makes me wonder if there is something else that has to be done to make sure this doesn’t happen. Maybe the “12v” (really 15.5) connector on the penthouse has to be disconnected as well to ensure the low volt lithium battery can’t discharge. Still waiting for the tow. Hoping they can jump it and it doesn’t have to be towed. we will see.

For those who did this, did you disconnect the 12/15v as well (which leads to the front)?

Yeah, that is what I didn’t do - totally should have done that. Thanks again!
Yea I didn’t disconnect the battery up front but I though the bug moles style plug was on the drivers side not the passenger if I remember correctly. When I get some time I’ll go out there and take a picture. I also didn’t run power to the penthouse I ran up to my 12 volt battery. Been going strong for 2 years I think with no issues on a VAD10001(1000rms) and it’s been rock solid. As far as waiting on tow are you at home? I would just watch a YouTube vid on how to open the frunk and run a battery charger to the 12v. At worse you can change the 12v battery yourself it’s really simple to do.

Update: just needed a jump. 🙌🏽 The state of charge dropped on the 15v battery and that’s why nothing worked. Next time, I’ll disconnect the negative terminal on the 15v battery, as well as disconnect the penthouse. I’m also going to invest in a portable battery jumper. Will tackle again next weekend. Fun times!

Reactions: Redman122905
Yea I didn’t disconnect the battery up front but I thought the bug moles style plug was on the drivers side not the passenger if I remember correctly. When I get some time I’ll go out there and take a picture. I also didn’t run power to the penthouse I ran up to my 12 volt battery. Been going strong for 2 years I think with no issues on a VAD10001(1000rms) and it’s been rock solid. As far as waiting on tow are you at home? I would just watch a YouTube vid on how to open the frunk and run a battery charger to the 12v. At worse you can change the 12v battery yourself it’s really simple to do.
thanks again! Fortunately I was home. To your point, i need to get a portable jumper. If I had one, I wouldn’t have needed Tesla roadside. Not doing that again