Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Guilderland, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5He8nVE.jpg

I saw this today and did some googling. Figured you guys would appreciate a picture of whats to come. Sorry for the poor quality, my girlfriend decided to nail the throttle as soon as I took the pic.

I saw this today and did some googling. Figured you guys would appreciate a picture of whats to come. Sorry for the poor quality, my girlfriend decided to nail the throttle as soon as I took the pic.

Yes welcome and thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke with the Operations Manager at the Mall a few days ago who says Supercharger is scheduled to go live on May 01, 2014.

Seeing that the equipment is still in the box a few days ago, I don't think they'll hit their timeline.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there usually grand opening events for superchargers ? I'd like to attend.

Yes. Typically they are quite a while after the Supercharger is operational (unlike we're seeing with the Hamilton, NJ location). However not all locations have had a ribbon cutting. Maybe if enough people show interest to Tesla they will have an event. Really not sure how the decide which locations have them and which ones do not. You can express your interest through their email address - [email protected]

@ Kalud:

(1) Thanks for the update on Albany! These SuperChargers are key to me - I can't wait til they are up and running!
(2) I just drove from upstate NY (near Syracuse) to Naples FL and back - used Superchargers for the first time - they are fantastic! Enjoy your trip!
(3) Most importantly, please make sure the Montreal Canadiens beat the Boston Bruins in their coming matchup...

Merci bien,

Eric

Eric,

My wife and I winter in Florida and would like to drive my 60Kw from Albany , NY to Fort Myers next Jan. Would you be kind a enough to relate your experience and where you stopped. I feel the big challenge will be getting out of NY.

Thanks,
AL Smith

@ AL Smith: I drive an 85Kw, and my trip to Naples and back was in April.

As you have noted, the biggest issue for me was getting out of upstate NY...plus I needed to go to Akron Ohio at the front end of my trip, meaning I had to drive from Syracuse area, across to Buffalo, and then to Akron. I spent time on PlugShare, and found an MS owner in Buffalo with an HPWC, and so I "topped off" there, which gave me enough to "get out" of upstate. I also had a "back up plan" for stop in Erie, if needed. From there, I simply took the Supercharger path (Macedonia OH, Cranberry PA, Somerset PA, Hagarstown MD, Richmond, Rockymount, Lumberton....basically all the way down 95). I took 95 down to Port St Lucia, and then across on 75 to Naples. For most of the way, I would drive 2.5-3 hours (160 miles, +/-), then stop at a Supercharger. The mapping system in the car is perfect - I would basically program the next stop as I charged, which worked great. I NEVER was ICE'd. Indeed, I only saw 2 other Tesla's at the Superchargers as I drove the 3,500 mile trip...so NO WORRIES on that front at all. All of the stops had convenient shops and restaurants within walking distance. My traveling companion (a 35 pound cockapoo, who drove "shotgun") and I would get out and stretch our legs while Supercharging. Typically we would only need 160 miles of range, so this meant we normally stopped for only 35-40 minutes...plenty of time to get a cup of Starbucks, stretch the legs, pee (both me and the dog, of course).

I can't say enough good things about the Superchargers. I have had my Model S for 13 months, and before this trip I had never used one (12,000 miles driven with no Supercharger before April). Absolutely no range anxiety, and they worked as good as (maybe even better than!) advertised.

As many others have mentioned on this site, one's mileage is primarily a function of speed....and although I had zero range anxiety between Superchargers, I still did my own experimenting with driving @ 65mph vs 75mph vs 80 mph. And it really is a substantial difference. The other variable that we all learned this past winter was temperature.

I imagine that with a 60Kw and a January trip, it might be slightly more difficult than my trip...hence the importance of speed. But still, I imagine you would have no difficulties at all. For me, it was a wonderful trip, and I will definitely do it again next year.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me directly