Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY EZpass - Internal Green pass tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in 2018/2019 I faced a lot of bureaucracy and wasn't able to receive an internal green pass tag.

What is the consensus these days. Are TM3 owners able to successfully receive an internal GreenPass Tag from the MTA now?

It was a breeze when I did this for Toyota Prius, and I have since swapped that car out for a 2019 Clarity (for the wife), but still no deal for my Model3. Last time they still sent an external plate mount tag.

What's the case these days?

Thanks,
J

This is also on my to do list and I've been dragging my feet. I had a MS for three years and never did it. Now that I have my 3 I really really really need to get on it.

I have NY State Thruway normal pass. Such a manual process to get executed.

This thread provides a good overview: GREEN EZ Pass

Seems like no need for new physical pass -- they just apply code to your account.

Report back if you kick this off -- curious what happens given current environment.

Its been a few years so I dont remember too well but in essence yes, you have to either request a new tag and make sure you get the NYSTA one or convert your existing account to one.

From there , you fill out some forms, then hound them to issue you the green tag or add the 2-3 green codes to your account (which can only be done if the base account is a NYSTA one, else at best you can hope for one green plan on the account).

NJ PA CT etc EZPass green plans cannot be added to a NYS issues EZPass and vice versa. Really dumb. This means that even if armed with a NYSTA tag with all the possible green plan codes addes for NYS, the tag is read as a vanilla ICE car tag out of state.

I recently had to get a new tag (NYS Thruway) and the rep said I had to get an external plate because of Tesla's glass and the internal tags being unable to be read effectively. Anyone had any issues with an internal tag in an M3?

Fortunately, my snap plate holds the external tag well but I would really prefer to stick with internal for security reasons.

I recently had to get a new tag (NYS Thruway) and the rep said I had to get an external plate because of Tesla's glass and the internal tags being unable to be read effectively. Anyone had any issues with an internal tag in an M3?

Fortunately, my snap plate holds the external tag well but I would really prefer to stick with internal for security reasons.

Internal tag as in the EZPass tag? I have a internal ezpass tag that works just fine.

Reactions: ToothlessM3
We schooled the DMV and EZPass reps years ago about how the small interior tags work just fine on Model 3/Ys... how quickly they forget (or how little info they share rep to rep, agent to agent).

To work around their bs, ask for a second (interior tag) as well... and when you get the exterior abomination and the interior one... just ship the exterior back or deliver to your local hopeless DMV office.

Reactions: ToothlessM3
I'm a little confused here. Since I just got my M3 last week, I called the EZPass CS office near me and said I wanted a new internal one. I had the old (2009) one that still works, but want the smaller one for my new car. The rep is sending it in the mail. There was no mention about possible problems with the RF being read by the scanners. I'll know in a few days. In NY, is there a different EZPass for EVs?

Yes and no.

The mini will work fine inside (where the manual says to install it), often even in the center dash, behind the screen or on the roof glass (behind or in front of the rear row lights).

The generic tag, especially if not NYSTA issued, will not allow EZPass to add the special 'green' rates to your account and so when you cross any EZPass payment locations, you will be charged a vanilla ICE rate, even if you could get an extra EV discount rate with the plans enabled on your account.

All are local only so a NY tag with NY green codes added to the account will only work as expected in NY... anywhere else it will still work as a vanilla ICE standard sedan tag. And vice versa, a PA, NJ, CT, MA pass with their green codes will only honor them in the respective home state... not in NY.

A wonderful system, 2020/2021 level tech and a complete political BS smoke and mirrors attempt at supporting hybrids and evs by supposedly offering supposed discounts. Plans offered? Check. Impractical and borked? Check. Great job EZPass.

Back in 2018/2019 I faced a lot of bureaucracy and wasn't able to receive an internal green pass tag.

What is the consensus these days. Are TM3 owners able to successfully receive an internal GreenPass Tag from the MTA now?

It was a breeze when I did this for Toyota Prius, and I have since swapped that car out for a 2019 Clarity (for the wife), but still no deal for my Model3. Last time they still sent an external plate mount tag.

What's the case these days?

Thanks,
J

Nope. I tried. They sent me the external tag. I appealed, they replied and told me I had to use the external only.
I cancelled my ezpass over their stupidity.

Reopened in NJ; no problem getting the green plan assigned to my internal tag at all.

Its been a few years so I dont remember too well but in essence yes, you have to either request a new tag and make sure you get the NYSTA one or convert your existing account to one.

From there , you fill out some forms, then hound them to issue you the green tag or add the 2-3 green codes to your account (which can only be done if the base account is a NYSTA one, else at best you can hope for one green plan on the account).

NJ PA CT etc EZPass green plans cannot be added to a NYS issues EZPass and vice versa. Really dumb. This means that even if armed with a NYSTA tag with all the possible green plan codes addes for NYS, the tag is read as a vanilla ICE car tag out of state.

Did you purchase a tag at a retailer? Or did you go to the DMV in NYC and just sign up? Thanks in advance!!

I signed into my ez pass account and summited an inquiry asking to have the GREEN plan codes added to my account with the registration of my Model Y attached. A week later they added the NYGREEN & PAGREEN plan codes to my account

The car license plate is registered as a Model 3 because Y is not an option

I signed into my ez pass account and summited an inquiry asking to have the GREEN plan codes added to my account with the registration of my Model Y attached. A week later they added the NYGREEN & PAGREEN plan codes to my account

The car license plate is registered as a Model 3 because Y is not an option
Did you send a physical letter to Port Authority or email?