Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY purchase for MD resident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t find an inventory M3 equipped the way I wanted it within 200 miles of my Maryland zip code, so I entered a New York zip code to search inventory farther afield. In Long Island I found the exact car I was looking for and paid the $250 order fee. Will I be able to go pick up the car at the Long Island Tesla store, drive it back to Maryland, and register it here in Maryland? If so, is there anything I need to take to the Long Island Tesla store when I pick up the car? I’m an newbie and appreciate the help.

Um. In 2021 sold my old, NJ-registered Prius to my daughter and her SO who was a resident of Massachusetts at the time. That's a couple of years ago, so the following is slightly fuzzy memory:
  1. Once you have a VIN and a contract, call your insurance company and get the car insured.
  2. Run down to the DMV in Maryland and throw yourself upon their mercy. Possibly through a phone call. A VIN, insurance card, and a visit to the local DMV will result with you (a) being out some money and (b) having a pair of real, no-kidding metal plates in your hands. And a registration card, albeit likely temporary.
  3. You may have to fill out the application for a title while you're there. A bill of sale and any liens have to be presented. Again. throw yourself on the mercy of the DMV to find out what's required; they're usually pretty good with explanation.
  4. With the registration, insurance card, and metal plates in hand, make your trip to NY. If you like your car, put the plates on it (bring a screwdriver/set of nutdrivers) and drive away.
  5. If you're doing all of the above, make sure you let Tesla know what you're up to so they can coordinate.
Generally, and people don't usually know this, it isn't actually required that a new car purchaser get the plates, registration, and title from the car dealer. One can make a trip to the DMV and do all that oneself. The traditional dealerships resist this process to the death since, generally, they make a significant bunch of $$ on doing the work for you.

Thanks a lot Tronguy. How would I get the bill of sale?
Um. When I sold the old Prius, after checking on the internet, literally wrote one up with a pen and some lined paper. One second.

So, when you put money down on the car, you likely created a Tesla Account, complete with a log in. On the dashboard for that account, there should be an icon for the car you're buying, with a VIN number under the picture of the car, and a link that says, "manage". Click on the "manage" link and there should be web page with a picture of the car and a link for "Documents". Click on the Documents link. On my account (and, yeah, I've already bought the car, so I'm not sure about this) there should be an "Order Agreement". I believe that counts as the bill of sale.

On my page, there's also a scan of the Proof of Insurance for the car, which I'm positive got emailed to me by my insurance agent, and subsequently sent to Tesla so they could do the title and such. But, if you're going to get the registration, plates, and title in MD, not sure you need to do that with Tesla. Again, suggest calling the MD DMV, or checking their web site.

I vaguely remember urging the two little chicks buying my car to visit the MA DMV and having checked it myself; there were instructions on Exactly What To Do for buyers when buying a car that was from out of state. (At least one of the two chicks was of the opinion that he would simply drive it off with my plates on the car; I disabused him of the notion. He did show up with the correct plates and we swapped plates in my driveway.)

Um. When I sold the old Prius, after checking on the internet, literally wrote one up with a pen and some lined paper. One second.

So, when you put money down on the car, you likely created a Tesla Account, complete with a log in. On the dashboard for that account, there should be an icon for the car you're buying, with a VIN number under the picture of the car, and a link that says, "manage". Click on the "manage" link and there should be web page with a picture of the car and a link for "Documents". Click on the Documents link. On my account (and, yeah, I've already bought the car, so I'm not sure about this) there should be an "Order Agreement". I believe that counts as the bill of sale.

On my page, there's also a scan of the Proof of Insurance for the car, which I'm positive got emailed to me by my insurance agent, and subsequently sent to Tesla so they could do the title and such. But, if you're going to get the registration, plates, and title in MD, not sure you need to do that with Tesla. Again, suggest calling the MD DMV, or checking their web site.

I vaguely remember urging the two little chicks buying my car to visit the MA DMV and having checked it myself; there were instructions on Exactly What To Do for buyers when buying a car that was from out of state. (At least one of the two chicks was of the opinion that he would simply drive it off with my plates on the car; I disabused him of the notion. He did show up with the correct plates and we swapped plates in my driveway.)
🐣🐥?

If tesla refuse to sell out of state then you most likely stuck.
they will not sell unless you have Driving License having the address on those listed states.

Even if they allow, it will be hassle for you to pay taxes from the state you picking the vehicle up and then re-registering in your home state, and then filing a refund from the originating state. It will be a lot of work.

To prevent this Tesla make impossible for you buying the car if you are out of state.