Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing, retreating to tires sizes to account for speed discrepancies? even if that was the case, he should run his numbers, 0.0708 in tire size diameter differences between the 19" and 21" wheel/tire setups does't make up a 6 MPH speed difference... It's actually .2 MPH @ 60 MPH....

I agree with dnanian that Tesla's response was overboard. They shouldn't accuse reporters of bad faith. I think they look whiny when they characterize driving around a parking lot looking for a charger as intentional malfeasance. The data with the comments are damning enough without trying to fabricate an agenda.

Broder's reply is an effective rebuttal to most of Tesla's complaints. However, he invents some seriously out there excuses to justify some of the numeric discrepancies. He argues that he set the cruise control at 60 mph, but the car went over 80 mph because "Most drivers are aware that cars can speed up, even sometimes when cruise control is engaged, on downhill stretches." (This is I-95 in Connecticut, not a drive down Mt. Washington). or that the difference between his article that said 45 mph and Tesla's log that says 60 mph "may be the result of the car being delivered with 19-inch wheels and all-season tires, not the specified 21-inch wheels and summer tires." The 245/35R21 tires are less than 0.2% bigger than the 245/45R19 tires, so how can that explain a 30% difference in speed?
I know it's bad for a reporter to say "I must have misreported the speed by a few mph", but the data clearly demonstrates he misreported his cruise control set speed. Trying to pass it off as anything but a bad memory or bad note-taking seems to just further damage his credibility to me. Broder should have simply not responded to this.

To Tesla I say: don't assume bad faith, even if bad faith seems readily apparent to you. Just report the facts, and let readers form their own conclusions.

To Broder I say: don't fudge the numbers by 10%. You're a reporter; get the data correct. If you had said you set the cruise control at 60 mph instead of at 45 mph, and that you charged for 47 minutes instead of 58 minutes, Tesla wouldn't have many charges that could stick, and you'd still have a story. (Namely that you can't drive a supercar like a supercar if you want to get 200 miles out of it, Tesla's reported range numbers can be deceivingly optimistic, and the car loses a ridiculous amount of rated range overnight.) There was no reason to fudge the numbers.

Well, except that the range indicator said he had enough "fuel" (in miles, actually) to make the run, in much bigger numbers, above...and it defaults to standard.

Again - and I really don't want to over-push the point, since who the heck knows, really - I think this is ignorance, not malice. If he doesn't have to put it in "range" mode to get the "miles" he thinks he needs (same with the lack of full charge later), he can save some time by not charging in full.

Again, I don't want to claim he was smart, or -at some level, due to stupidity, imho - fair. Just that he made some mistakes that I can understand, given some ignorance.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Really. It's a pleasure being here.

Dam you for being so reasonble!

It's worse than that. A Telsa digitally controlled car does not vary more than a mile over the set CC point even on the steepest downslope. He's lying by misdirection.
What's really odd is that he didn't make up something much more plausible, like he had to zoom around a cluster of cars going slightly slower than him. That happens quite regularly and no one would bat an eye at it, but saying that the cruise control overshot by 15 mph? That's just crazy.

What's really odd is that he didn't make up something much more plausible, like he had to zoom around a cluster of cars going slightly slower than him. That happens quite regularly and no one would bat an eye at it, but saying that the cruise control overshot by 15 mph? That's just crazy.

Broder never expected anyone to call him out on his terrible review. So, he is caught trying to make up stories that sound true. He is no better at lying than writing a review.

Though truth was clearly not his objective in this report, the truthful explanation for accelerating up to 81mph would have been something like "This car is so smooth and quiet and has such killer torque and acceleration, I just couldn't resist punching it because it's so dang FUN!"

I'd like to narrowly address the simple question of whether the article contained provably false statements. This is the claim that, if shown to be accurate, should force action on NYTs part with respect to a retraction or admission of fault. I initially felt comfortable granting the reporter the benefit of the doubt, but as I reflected on the following, I am less and less sure there's a case to be made explaining these discrepancies away. I make no claim that these discrepancies are evidence of any specific kind of motive, merely that they are demonstrably false and highly unlikely to be the result of simple error in note-taking.

The portion of the article that most clearly proved false is his statements regarding his trip from Delaware to Manhattan. That segment can be accurately bounded in the article and in the logs based on his statement:
After a short break in Manhattan, the range readout said 79 miles; the Milford charging station was 73 miles away

Tesla's logs show Milford charge taking place at mile 323 (ref: the blown-up portion indicating his puttering around the rest stop). 73 miles less indicates his drive leaving Manhattan began at mile 250. He had a 0-2 mile 'joyride' with his brother before than, so the drive to Manhattan ended somewhere around mile 248-250. I have shaded the appropriate area in the chart below, which overlays Broder's speed chart and his HVAC chart. You can see by the speed changes that this end point sits squarely within a passage of miles with lots of stop and go driving, indicative of driving through Manhattan.

Broder.png

What follows is the NYTimes article text, followed by a reference [in brackets] to the data collected over the same period, and my comments.

After 49 minutes, the display read “charge complete,” and the estimated available driving distance was 242 miles.

Fat city; no attendant and no cost.

As I crossed into New Jersey some 15 miles later, I noticed that the estimated range was falling faster than miles were accumulating.
[Speed leaving DE varies 50-62, then cruise control set at 62, 61, and 60 mph. HVAC at 71-72 degrees]

This is Broder's normal driving procedure, well before he gives any indication that he is limiting himself in comfort or speed in any way.

At 68 miles since recharging, the range had dropped by 85 miles, and a little mental math told me that reaching Milford would be a stretch. I began following Tesla’s range-maximization guidelines, which meant dispensing with such battery-draining amenities as warming the cabin and keeping up with traffic. I turned the climate control to low — the temperature was still in the 30s — and planted myself in the far right lane with the cruise control set at 54 miles per hour (the speed limit is 65). Buicks and 18-wheelers flew past, their drivers staring at the nail-polish-red wondercar with California dealer plates

[speed maintained at 59-60 mph through this long stretch, HVAC varies between 71 and 73 degrees]

Leading up to this point, Broder feels comfortable driving at 60 mph. Somewhere in here he dispenses with his 60 mph cruise control, and we see a stretch of driving with cruise control adjusting to between a 1mph reduction, 2 brief 2mph reduction, and a large stretch back at 60 mph, no reduction at all versus his preferred speed during the entire segment. His comfort setting also vary between 71 and 74 degrees, indicating he is not in the midst of any "range-maximizing guidelines" with regard to cabin climate.

Nearing New York, I made the first of several calls to Tesla officials about my creeping range anxiety. The woman who had delivered the car told me to turn off the cruise control; company executives later told me that advice was wrong. All the while, my feet were freezing and my knuckles were turning white.

[speed varies from a minimum of 58 mph to a maximum of 70 mph, HVAC adjusted to 70 until end of segment and arrival in Manhattan]

We can see a clear change of habit coinciding with this call to Tesla. Cruise control is disengaged, speed is variable, and climate is adjusted at the same time, down to 70 degrees.

The climate does not change again until after he completes his trip to Manhattan, dropping to 64-65 only after he has driven through stop and go traffic (in Manhattan obviously) for a number of miles, during which time he picked up his brother, took him for a drive, dropped him off, and then started his next segment from Manhattan to Milford.

From this matching up of events with logs, it seems very clear to me that Mr Broder was untruthful about his experience driving from Wilmington to Manhattan.
1) He said he was forced to compromise his speed, driving for stretches at well below prevailing traffic speeds. But he did not; in fact he reduced his speed a maximum of 2mph, and an average of 0-1 mph, compared to the prevailing speed he was driving leading up to his claimed concern-induced adjustment in driving speeds.

2) He claimed to employ range-maximizing techniques by dropping climate control to uncomfortable levels both before and after calling into tesla for advice. But he did not; in fact his climate control was set between 71 and 74 degrees the entire segment leading up to his calling into Tesla, and dropped only 1-2 degrees from his heretofore desired climate level, to 70, during the period after he spoke to tesla and for the rest of his drive into Manhattan.

3) He claimed these series of compromises made him physically uncomfortable, cold and anxious with freezing feet and white knuckles. But his actions show he made only the most minor of adjustments to his driving habits and climate control, driving variably between 58 and 70 mph, and leaving the cabin HVAC at 70 degrees. Is driving 58-70 mph on I-95 approaching Manhattan out of practice with prevailing driving habits? No. Do one's feet tend to freeze at 70 degrees? No.

The claims Broder makes in this article are not reflective of his actual driving experience between Wilmington and Manhattan. His story, as written, reflects a highly negative experience that simply did not take place. If a journalist interviewed a source who relayed this story, and then later discovered these logs detailing the actual drive, I cannot see how he would conclude the story is anything but a fabrication created to relate a fictional experience.

So anyway, after rereading the article online today I noticed that there is not longer a mention of white knuckles or cold feet.

I still see it:

Nearing New York, I made the first of several calls to Tesla officials about my creeping range anxiety. The woman who had delivered the car told me to turn off the cruise control; company executives later told me that advice was wrong. All the while, my feet were freezing and my knuckles were turning white.

Model S 8794, great write-up. You should send this to the Public Editor at the NY Times. She is allegedly "investigating" what both sides have said. My concern is that because she is not particularly knowledgeable about technical issues (as far as we know), she will lose some of these specifics among Broder's obfuscations. In fact, my sense from re-reading Broder's responses is that he's counting on people not understanding enough to simple elide some of his more ridiculous claims. For example, he simply cannot explain why he was consistently driving so much faster than he wrote in his piece, and he blames it (possibly) on two things -- the cruise control not adjusting quickly enough on downhills and the tires being 19" and not 21". As noted by many here, the Model S (and apparently all EVs, including Roadster) strictly adhere to the mph set on the cruise control when it is on, and there aren't any downhills on the portion of the road he was driving when this allegedly happened. And, if the tires were to blame (WTF?), if anything a smaller tire would record greater distance, not less.

In any event, these are the types of minute details that I sense Broder is counting on the public and the NY Times Public Editor missing, and your detailed analysis would be quite helpful for her. Hers will likely be the final word, and could make the difference between the Times doubling down in its defense of Broder versus cutting bait and admitting that "mistakes were made".

BTW, I "like" the Times on Facebook and saw that they posted Broder's original write-up today. They are LOVING the page views and clearly fomenting this controversy. How pathetic for such an esteemed paper to be reduced to this. I'm embarrassed for them.

I noticed a few other things about his most recent rebuttal.

1.) Despite the main defense of his article being that he was merely following the instructions Tesla provided him along the route, he also says he took the liberty of only charging to 72% in Milford because he felt he had more than enough energy for the next leg he needed to make. Seems he likely conveniently ignored Tesla's instructions to charge to a higher % when at the Milford Supercharger.

Significant point.

Some other take aways:
1.) The temperature argument was a weak one made by Tesla and Elon. The graphs show a definite correlation between available range and cabin temps. Looks like Broder turned down the temps as range became increasingly less, so its hard to find much fault in what he did here.

He turned it down (still 64F) much later than he claimed. Just one of many ways he used more energy than you would think based on his account. Also shows that the seemingly scientific precision of the article does not exist at all... when it comes to details, especially those that are (usually) difficult to detect.

2.) The fact remains that the Model S's range did in fact drop from 90 miles to 20 miles or so when parked overnight in the cold. Their own graphs confirm this. Perhaps Tesla truly did believe the range would "restore" or recalibrate itself once charged for a little bit and driven, and assured Broder that it was OK to attempt that 61 mile on 32 miles of estimated range. It appears the range estimate was not too far off from accurate, as the car did in fact reach 0 (if not died completely) after 51 miles. Losing 70 miles of range overnight is a pretty disconcerting thing if true and should be addressed by Tesla.

Actually take a look at the state-of-charge chart (not just the rated-range chart). The rated-range (display value) goes down a lot, but the SOC (closer to actual value) does only about 5 - 8%. It may be mostly a display effect. (Of course there are also real losses, some due to cold and some not.)

So I just reread the original NYT article and it seems like it has been changed since the first time I read it last week. After looking at the data from the Tesla logs I was thinking it was kind of funny how the NYT author complained about white knuckles and cold feet, alluding that the inside of the car was nearing the outside temperatures, so I reread the article to make sure I hadn't gotten it confused with something else. Looking at that climate control chart, it never dipped below 64. I'm a runner and sometimes my body fat gets in the single digit range and even then 64 is a pretty comfortable temperature for me without wearing a coat. So anyway, after rereading the article online today I noticed that there is not longer a mention of white knuckles or cold feet. Did I misread it or did they change the article? Is that normal journalistic practice? Don't they have to print a retraction or something? I know journalists like to dramatize things with eye catching headlines but this article just seemed to bend things way beyond the the typical gray areas.

I just checked, and the knuckles at least were still white -

Stalled on the E.V. Highway - NYTimes.com

All the while, my feet were freezing and my knuckles were turning white.

I still see it:

Few, I think my eyes must be playing tricks after reading about this so much. Sort of glad to still see it up there, to me it most simply and loudly shows how off-base the article was, although 8794 sure paints a clear picture too. Just hope nobody reading it for the first time thinks that is legitimate.

Distrust of the media is very fashionable in some quarters, but this seems to be driven more by politics than facts. Tesla is a great company and it will survive this, but how they handled this is terrible.
I don't think it's a matter of fashion - Broder lied about the car running out of energy and needing to be flat bedded. The data is there. Maybe in France you can call it fashionable. I call it lies no matter how you put it. With the data that has come out I don't see how NYT can survive without pulling the article, apologizing, and firing Brody - unless they don't care about their reputation. I don't see how you can continue to defend this guy and the NYT when it's clear that the writer lied and his attitude was not to report but rather damage. Brody's intentions were clear when he blasted EV's a year ago - I have not idea what your intentions are.

Yes, @ModelS8794, please send your writeup in to the NY Times. Try and make sure it gets to the editorial staff.

Having a bit of a background in journalism from my college days, what strikes me is the different stories that could have been written from the same events and what Broder actually chose to emphasize in his story.

He could have written a fine story about pushing an EV's range to the edge and how that's a bad idea on a roadtrip in cold weather.

He probably could have written a fine story on how on EV drivers have to be more careful, especially since the car and Tesla phone people may give you different answers and sometimes neither may be 100% right.

With permission beforehand and recordings of all the phone conversations, he could written a great "challenge" story: Tesla says I can do X. I decided to trust Tesla's directions and this is what happened.

Instead he chose to focus on how the car ran out of energy. Yet he pushed the car to the edge way in a high risk fashion: 5 miles of range left is way too late to be looking for charging stations. Do that with an ICE and you could run out of gas too. If you run out of power (or gas) at that point, I think most people would call it operator error.

Then there's what seems to me to be the contradiction between the what he said (or at heavily implied) and how the logs show he actually drove.

This frankly is not the level of journalism I'd expect out of a New York Times reporter. Or for that matter, any reporter even though I know that most journalists aren't what I'd like them to be.

If I were a NY Times editor and I was convinced that the logs were correct, I'd fire Broder. If you want to write a story and are willing to pick the facts/events that line up with your story, ignore the rest and not tell your readers up front what story you wanted to write, there are plenty of crappy newspapers in the country where you'll fit right in. You shouldn't be at the NY Times. And if you're willing to just make stuff up, go work at the National Enquirer.

While there is a lot of debate about whether Broder "faked" the report, I think Elon went too far as well. But as I've read a lot about how fast/slow he drove, and how most people drive at 70+ on the highway, we all know that if you drive an ICE car at 70+ your mileage will drop... duh. And how many people have we all seen on highways or in town walking with a gas can because they ran out.

I love my S, and realize that I am an early-adopter of incredible technology, and it will a) have bugs, and b) have a learning curve for me. Anyone remember having to set dip switches for "interrupts" before plug-and-play. I am willing to PLAN my longer trips, including have a "plan B", in order not to spend $90 to go 270 miles in my old FX45.

And "range anxiety" I thnik is called a Leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.