Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JB.jpg

"The Scientific Alliance" jumps on the bandwagon: The all-electric car: still an idea ahead of its time - Cambridge Network
Seems to be an anti science propaganda group Scientific Alliance - SourceWatch

Founded by Robert Durward - Durward says he is "a businessman who is totally fed up with all this environmental stuff... much of which is unjustified, such as the climate change. Durward has spoken out on many issues, including the 'witch-hunt' against drunk drivers, the 'media-fueled circus of Kyoto', and the 'bluster emanating from the collective witch-hunt referred to kindly as the green movement'

Their expert advisory group includes:

Professor Sallie Balunas - Global Warming skeptic
Martin Livermore - agribusiness funded anti-organic faming advocate
Professor Anthony Trewavas - agribusiness funded anti-organic faming advocate

Helps explain the slant of the article

Quebec City isn't 'super cold' Canada. I've actually lived in places in Canada that ARE super cold and you plug your car in if you want to go anywhere the next morning.

Yes, that's just pure physics. I've been to plenty of places where the hotels have posts to plug into and the rental car company gives you a flyer warning you to plug in at night if it gets cold.

Not anywhere in New York that i remember though.. Or Vermont for that matter. And I've only ever driven through the other states in the area so can't comment.

Semi-interestingly, there is an existing word in Norwegian that means "unnecessarily embellished", often used to describe a story with too many gratuitous made-up details. That word is "utbrodert".

But, yes, it can get pretty cold up here. After all, Oslo is at the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska, and the northern tip is about the same as the North Shore of Alaska. In the interior and northern parts of the country, diesel cars simply will not start in the winter unless you plug them in the day before. At the same time, Norway is the largest per capita market for electric cars in the world. Half the Nissan Leaves in Europe are sold in Norway. Purely electric cars (not hybrids) are now about 3 % of new car sales.

We were not all that worried about that NYT article. :smile:

Quebec City isn't 'super cold' Canada. I've actually lived in places in Canada that ARE super cold and you plug your car in if you want to go anywhere the next morning.

-33c (-27f) in January for 3 days.

---

Plug-in Electric Car Sales in Canada For January 2013
"With that in mind, a review of some factors for Quebec's electric vehicle successes is warranted, especially given the province's harsh winters -- by some measures, it's home to three of the seven coldest cities in Canada -- which would normally be expected to decrease plug-in popularity.

---

Coldest Canadian Cities in Winter - Coldest Canadian Cities in Winter - Current Results
City Daily Average °C
Winnipeg -15.3
Saskatoon -14.8
Saguenay -13.9
Regina -13.8
Sudbury -11.5
Quebec -11.0
Sherbrooke -10.1

Last edited:
about 20-30 of us were there for the sendoff of the TeslaRoadTrip from Rockville, Md, many to wish good wishes and some ridealongs. there was a young couple who decided almost it semed as a lark to do the recreation, a computer geek, an EE, a couple of folk who came 140 miles from eastern marylnd area and other folk. they did not broder the parking lot before leaving (drive in circles etc).
1. "to broder"; a verb, as in "to purposely or with willful ignorance run down the battery pack of an electric vehicle to the point that it no longer moves the vehicle."

1. Semi-interestingly, there is an existing word in Norwegian that means "unnecessarily embellished", often used to describe a story with too many gratuitous made-up details. That word is "utbrodert".

-33c (-27f) in January for 3 days. I was comparing to New York area btw.

If I lived in New York State, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming etc.., I would still plug in most winter days for the simply fact it saves wear and tear on the engine and I tend to keep my vehicles until the body has rusted off. (And it would be on a timer as well.) But to each their own. I think my point was understood.

Not sure if the NYT Public Editor has made any declarations yet. And if/when she does, I doubt anything will be done to Broder. At most it'll say there were oddities, but all were explainable and within a level of plausible, if not likely, outcome.

But IMO, if you look at the post here that clearly showed his "notes" as to when he said he changed the climate control, speed, and plugged in were off by more than a reasonable level. And the fact that CNN and a bunch of Model S owners were able to do the drive so drama-free, it should raise lots of questions about why he had so much difficulty.

But like I said, I expect they'll side with him ultimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.