Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

O-Oh. It's happened. Frunk won't open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was Christmas Eve.....no its not a story, it really was, presents for brother and sister in law in the trunk! Namely a boxed bottle of whisky and bouquet of flowers. We stopped for lunch, opened the trunk no problem an hour later got to my brothers house, went to open the trunk and it only opened 1/2 inch. After much pull, push down , lock , unlock routines, nothing. We could only book it in to Leeds Tesla on the 27th January, via the app because they are closed for Christmas.... Yes we will drive to Leeds straight after Christmas. Meanwhile the bouquet of flowers will start to decay. Could be a lot worse but it was embarrassing too, especially as my brother had never seen the car until today. Has it made us nervous of using the trunk, most definitely. Luckily we had put our charging cable in the rear boot the day before! We await the solution/repair and retrieval of what will be dead flowers and a bottle of whisky.

The ranger used a couple of flat plastic tools to release the frunk latch. Like most skills, it looked easy with the right tools and practice!. It's not an uncommon problem apparently however the Model 3 is harder to get into than either the S or X. Once in, it was a case of removing the plastic frunk completely - about 6 screws. He then replaced the release solenoid and actuator. This was the spare that we were waiting 5 weeks for.

I did see some uninspiring youtube videos of guys releasing the frunk - so it can be done but it comes with the risk of scratches and further damage.

I watched the video for the installation of a frunk modification a few weeks ago, and that showed an emergency release being run down to behind the blanking plate for the place where the towing eye screws in. I wonder if there's a way to just fit an emergency release pull like this to the standard latch?

Might be worthwhile mod, if it can be done fairly easily and allows emergency access to get stuff out of the frunk.

Reactions: Adopado and Maz0
.... I suppose you follow the instructions above... open the frunk.. then refill the washer fluid.
have you tried that? I have.
if you open the frunk then close it but not quite hard enough it is easy to get it hooked on the secondary latch the same way it is when it jams.
I have small hands and in that state I cannot get my hand under the frunk lid let alone get it under then push down while unhooking.
I can imagine it is quite possible to fabricate a tool to do it but I don't think the manual approach will work unless you have very thin wrist and long fingers. I don't think it will work for most people.

have you tried that? I have.
if you open the frunk then close it but not quite hard enough it is easy to get it hooked on the secondary latch the same way it is when it jams.
I have small hands and in that state I cannot get my hand under the frunk lid let alone get it under then push down while unhooking.
I can imagine it is quite possible to fabricate a tool to do it but I don't think the manual approach will work unless you have very thin wrist and long fingers. I don't think it will work for most people.

I've seen a youtube vid of someone using a tool to achieve the same result. All methods look like a struggle! I like Jeremy's suggestion of looking for a way to attach a release cable ....

Has anyone managed to see the technique used to open it yet? Appreciate it still needs fixed by service centre but if theres a trick with a coat hanger to get the goods out then it’s worth knowing about!
I was able to get in with a large allen wrench. You pop it up the 1" and then you need to push the other latch out of the way with the allen wrench. It was a pain at first but then I got pretty good at it. Fortunately the Range came within 10 days to fix with new release latches.