Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obtaining v10 - creative solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many owners, I'm very dissatisfied with the current state of the software in my vehicle and would like to get back the good thing I once had.

When it first happened and the complaints started rolling in, I held onto a glimmer of hope because "certainly Tesla will see all the complaints and roll this back". This no longer seems likely to happen.

I've also requested a v10 upgrade from my local service centers, but got polite "no" answers as expected.

I want to keep the car, as there aren't any comparable alternatives (EV, SuperCharger Network, range), but not with this software.

So... are there any *realistic* options for getting back an old version?

Some thoughts...
  • Legal battle with Tesla
  • Hacking the firmware
  • Pleading with Elon
  • Massive petition from owners
  • Protesting at Fremont
  • NHTSA safety report
  • Persistent and loud complaints directed at the service center
  • Hostage situation
What's my best option?

No, I dont think there are any "realistic" options for getting the old version back, on that car. The only thing I see is finding a car where someone has not updated, buying it, and then hoping it never ever has any issues you have to take it into tesla for, because if the car goes in for service they would likely update it.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 2.17.36 PM.png

Of course, the next argument is normally "tesla cant do that" and I am not arguing whether they can or not, just pointing out that this is what their documentation currently has in it for new vehicle warranty, so legal action might be needed to get warranty service on a vehicle where refusal to install updates was done.

All that to say, "no I dont think there is any realistic way to get V10 back, so plan accordingly to either deal with it, or make other arrangements for transportation."

Last edited:
Reactions: K5TRX
I am in the same boat and have been looking around for alternatives since the update was forcibly installed. No viable alternatives. Legal battles are costly and very, very uncertain. Hacking the firmware is illegal. However, going the CAN bus route may be interesting. Essentially, create your own interface, duct tape a tablet on top of the screen and use BT with CAN adapter to command individual modules. However, that is a ton of work.
Selling the car is the most logical option. As you mentioned, there are no alternatives ATM, so I would wait a few years and hope that they don’t do another bone-headed thing that will further depreciate its value.
One potential option for a (relatively) short term relief is the regulator. They are not in a good standing with NHTSA as is, so the more complains they receive the more likely is that something will happen. Also, they have a much stronger legal muscle than any of us.

Reactions: K5TRX
Like many owners, I'm very dissatisfied with the current state of the software in my vehicle and would like to get back the good thing I once had.

When it first happened and the complaints started rolling in, I held onto a glimmer of hope because "certainly Tesla will see all the complaints and roll this back". This no longer seems likely to happen.

I've also requested a v10 upgrade from my local service centers, but got polite "no" answers as expected.

I want to keep the car, as there aren't any comparable alternatives (EV, SuperCharger Network, range), but not with this software.

Some thoughts...
  • Hacking the firmware
  • Pleading with Elon
  • Protesting at Fremont
  • NHTSA safety report
  • Hostage situation
What's my best option?
You forgot
  • Time machine

• Hacking the firmware
  • Pleading with Elon
  • Protesting at Fremont
  • NHTSA safety report
  • Hostage situation
What's my best option?
1. Purchase agreement (in the US at least) has you agree to forced arbitration. You can opt-out right after purchase by mail, but I suspect most do not.
2. Not likely, they put a lot of effort into the Model 3 to prevent this.
3. Worth a try, but he will probably just say something dumb about automation.
4. Sure, I will sign.
5. No longer the headquarters, but sure.
6. Absolutely, I already filed mine. Everybody should.
7. Even thought they can't do anything, might help keep the pressure on. Just be polite to the employees there, none of this is their fault and they can't actually directly fix it for you.
8. Careful what you joke about.

Reactions: rxlawdude and K5TRX
Speaking of time machines, I feel like I’m in one. 😁 I feel like we see a barrage of these threads every time there’s a UI update. I remember in particular people losing their minds when v9 came out and threatening legal action and all sorts of hilariousness. Of course now when you go back and look at v8 its like something that came out of ancient Egypt.

I wish there was some way I could interact with all the various versions as a basis of comparison. This *seems* different to me, since I had v9 for one day and v10 for one year - neither of them seemed to hide many important functions. v11 is bad on top of bad. I'd take my chances with any other version.

I have been an owner since V6.something. Every generation jump causes a big stir but you do eventually acclimate (and tweaks and fixes get put in place) and then the next version seems intolerable. I remember when the map went from color to grayscale and everyone went crazy. Now when I look back at pictures of the color map UI it looks like something from MS DOS. I’d hold judgement on V11 for a few months, giving time for getting acclimated and Tesla tweaking the things that didn’t work.

Reactions: moa999
I second that. In my opinion, *every* *single* *thing* about v11 is worse... so there's no tweaking. It's gotta go.

I want the monochrome icons, with one-touch access to defrosters and seat heaters. I want the trip card back below the car, the larger font for nav results and text messages, the map controls and battery SoC. I want WiFi and driver profile icons up top. I want my backup cams smooth again. I want the layout of each screen back the way it made sense. Everything... all of it. G'bye 11. Leave with the interns that made you.