Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
• Easter Egg - Click the Tesla logo T at the top and press and hold the "E" and it will change the picture to a silhouette of the car.

Quick clarification on this - when I click on the T, I get the screen that shows the car config and the VIN and miles, etc and then it pops down for the eater eggs. Where is the "E" that you are refereeing to?

Thanks.

Seriously. Little tricks are one thing (like swiping the navigation button right to navigate to home/work), but the lack of awareness of integral functions (especially autopilot controls) is somewhat concerning.
Surely you're not suggesting that a car owner should read the manual. That's crazy talk!
The forums would be empty if that happened

Surely you're not suggesting that a car owner should read the manual. That's crazy talk!
The forums would be empty if that happened

What gets me is that for most things you don't even need to read the manual--simply exploring the menus and tapping through everything reveals what's possible. Yet many people are content to post a question and wait for someone to spoon-feed them an answer instead of figuring it out on their own. Just two recent examples:

Auto Car Locking
Keep side mirrors folded?

As time goes on, though, I realize that I'm probably the outlier as the first thing I do with every new device, app, OS, etc is go through every single option to see what they all do.

Just discovered this one today- I'm not crazy about how hard you have to move the steering wheel to let autopilot know you're in control. If you roll the cruise speed up or down 1 mph, it acknowledges you without having to jerk the wheel.

Actually, pressing, pushing or scrolling either button will reset the nag. This was a change in one of the recent updates (possibly 36.2).

My favorite questions/complaint is the “why does my steering wheel wobble” posts because of the lane departure warning

Two favorite real features
1-location based Homelink auto triggering garage doors
2-location based charge timer. So you can charge at 1am at home but immediately anywhere else.
... and I’m hoping someday that the cameras will confirm the door actually NEEDS opening/closing! i love this feature BUT its a spring-loaded mousetrap that has bitten me multiple times when the door is not as the car assumes it to be.

... and I’m hoping someday that the cameras will confirm the door actually NEEDS opening/closing! i love this feature BUT its a spring-loaded mousetrap that has bitten me multiple times when the door is not as the car assumes it to be.
I just press skip when the box pops up to says its going to trigger the door. With my family patterns the door is in the expected place about 70% of the time, so it works for me but YMMV
Sadly Homelink is an extremely basic protocol that has no way to include door status.
On that subject though, I was extremely impressed by the simplicity of changing the location for the trigger. Once you start it, the car walks you through the steps, most impressive.

I just press skip when the box pops up to says its going to trigger the door. With my family patterns the door is in the expected place about 70% of the time, so it works for me but YMMV
Sadly Homelink is an extremely basic protocol that has no way to include door status.
On that subject though, I was extremely impressed by the simplicity of changing the location for the trigger. Once you start it, the car walks you through the steps, most impressive.
Indeed, press "Skip" is EXACTLY what I do when the car commands inapproriate door open/close. But that relies on ME to notice when it "auto opened" my already open door.... which then closes it as I am backing out and looking in the side/rearview mirrors for crossing traffic as I back into my street. And yes I am grateful for the "boink" noise when a homelink command is sent, that is my final warning to pay attention if I don't expect to hear it.

Hence my wish for homelink logic to "verify" by using camera to verify door open/close status. Kind of like "blind spot" warning.....

Indeed, press "Skip" is EXACTLY what I do when the car commands inapproriate door open/close. But that relies on ME to notice when it "auto opened" my already open door.... which then closes it as I am backing out and looking in the side/rearview mirrors for crossing traffic as I back into my street. And yes I am grateful for the "boink" noise when a homelink command is sent, that is my final warning to pay attention if I don't expect to hear it.

Hence my wish for homelink logic to "verify" by using camera to verify door open/close status. Kind of like "blind spot" warning.....
Had a close call on this on day 1. Pulled up to my house and Homelink went to open my garage. Problem was, it was open and my wife and daughter were in the garage unloading groceries. I scrambled to push the Skip button, but between looking at the screen and watching the garage door come down toward my daughter, I panicked and missed it. Luckily, they were pulled in far enough so the garage door didn't hit my wife's tailgate (or more importantly either of them). But now I'm much more cautious and prepared.

This is kinda dumb but for the first week of ownership, I thought the Model 3 would only blink 3 times with turn signals. That is until I accidentally pressed the stalk all the way down, then realized you could have continuous turn signal as well.

Also when autopilot is engaged, I used to jerk the wheel to take control. Then found out a much safer way to take control is to flip the right stalk up once, which will disengage autopilot and allow you to smoothly take control.

This is kinda dumb but for the first week of ownership, I thought the Model 3 would only blink 3 times with turn signals. That is until I accidentally pressed the stalk all the way down, then realized you could have continuous turn signal as well.

Also when autopilot is engaged, I used to jerk the wheel to take control. Then found out a much safer way to take control is to flip the right stalk up once, which will disengage autopilot and allow you to smoothly take control.
Part way down is lane change (3 blinks). Full down is continuous turn and canceled when turn is completed.

Stalk up to cancel AP is definitely useful.

• Love
Reactions: Brianhc23
LOL, maybe I am spoiled, but have you not been watching YouTube videos on the Model 3 before you got it?

I don't even own a Tesla yet, but I knew about the button and that it opens the charge port door!

I have, but not her. She can’t be made to watch anything even if it’s about her new car. Been trying to get her ready for v9...

I'm unable to operate certain functions:
-If im walking out into the store to pickup something real quick, how can the passenger keep the AC on?

Software Wishlist:
-Remotely turn on AC when there is no LTE
-AI based AC turn on notification (suggest that i should turn it on), eventually auto turn on and just notify
-"Knock knock" to open frunk, basically some way to open frunk w/o fumbling with the phone. Maybe pushing down on the frunk, or gesture control via the front camera.

Reactions: israndy
Just discovered this one today- I'm not crazy about how hard you have to move the steering wheel to let autopilot know you're in control. If you roll the cruise speed up or down 1 mph, it acknowledges you without having to jerk the wheel.

If you rest the weight of your hand on the wheel, it's enough to satisfy the nag. No need to jerk it... just apply a light rotational force.