Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 15th Deadline for Guaranteed Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla already made over 7000 Model 3s on last weeks production despite some stress relief at end of Q3.

Making inventory cars is not a problem. I believe many people have not decided to jump in and won’t decide until thanksgiving and beyond to take the plunge.

Q3 push was Tesla driven. Q4 push will be consumer driven.

I will bet any amount of money someone is going to be flying from out of state on Dec 31st to grab a Model 3 at Fremont and driving it home.

Where is there a big patch of land near Reno, Nevada people could head to to receive their car that's been transported from Fremont so they don't have to pay CA sales tax?

Once new Grohmann and Panasonic lines start we should see over 5k/week (on average) cars produced by end of November.

Also Tesla will likely introduce short range M3 in December and may itroduce P3D models to outside of North America for first quarter deliveries (depending how popular SR model is).

I am not worried that much about deliveries since Jerome is at the helm and he is a known troublesooter.

There surely will be other deadlines set but on Tesla terms, for particular trims and colors. So October 15 is probably the last time you can order what you like.

Last edited:
One where people have common sense and know what I meant?

Not sure why you gotta jump the gun and point out bull *sugar* when its clear the topic is deadline for full federal tax credit for custom orders from Tesla.

View attachment 343396

Nobody is this universe (other than you) will claim Oct 15 is 75 days out.

C'mon man ... we all make mistakes, it's ok. Stop digging when you are in a hole :rolleyes:

I will bet any amount of money someone is going to be flying from out of state on Dec 31st to grab a Model 3 at Fremont and driving it home.

Anyone who does that is probably bad at math. With the over 9% sales tax rate here and travel costs, I would think you probably aren’t getting much of that $3750 back you save by not taking delivery in January at home.

Reactions: MXWing
Tesla has updated their order pages (wait estimates) for new Model 3 orders:

1. Removed the message about ordering by October 15, 2018.
2. Model 3 - RWD Long Range = Delivery within 4 weeks
3. Model 3 - AWD Long Range and Performance = Delivery within 8 weeks (I recall it said 2-4 months)
4. Model S and X seem unchanged. Delivery estimates (next month)

I think they probably did this to address confusion about the tax credit expiration. It was getting widely reported that the deadline for the credit is October 15, 2018 - which is false.

But the fact remains that if you want to be eligible for the full credit, and want to be safe and order in time to ensure delivery before the end of the year, then you should place your order now or very shortly (so that you stay within this 4 to 8 week timeframe for delivery).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Anyone who does that is probably bad at math. With the over 9% sales tax rate here and travel costs, I would think you probably aren’t getting much of that $3750 back you save by not taking delivery in January at home.

Plenty of people making six figure purchases they normally wouldn't have with free supercharging bait. :D

Finally ordered on Friday , I knew the order deadline for end of year delivery was close, then the website notice popped up and that was it.
LR AWD 19”s white with black and EAP.
$64k at pickup that’s with taxes and fees added and my $3500 deducted
Day one I figured I was in for $50k for a SR car. Hopefully it’s crazy but not to crazy at the end of the year push.

Reactions: systemBuilder
I am super bummed, I was one of those people for whom a Tesla was only justifiable if I could get the base model plus the $7500 tax credit. Waited in line early in the morning, put down my $1k, the whole business. But I can't spend more than $30k on the thing, it's just not responsible! I presume there is no chance, at all, of any base models going out before the end of the year, right? Sorry if I am way behind here, but I have been sort of avoiding recognizing this because I will have to get my deposit back and that's just gonna be depressing.

If you live in California anywhere near Fremont you can probably order in December and still take delivery, if it's like last quarter they will divert deliveries to close by the factory to maximize revenue. If you live in the Midwest or East Coast you should probably put your order in now if you want the full $7500 federal tax credit.
Can I order my car from California? I wouldn't mind driving back all the way to Minooka Illinois (Chicago SW Suburb)

Tesla has updated their order pages (wait estimates) for new Model 3 orders:

1. Removed the message about ordering by October 15, 2018.
2. Model 3 - RWD Long Range = Delivery within 4 weeks
3. Model 3 - AWD Long Range and Performance = Delivery within 8 weeks (I recall it said 2-4 months)
4. Model S and X seem unchanged. Delivery estimates (next month)
There are two Bill's in the Senate one in favor to remove the deadline for the tax incentive and one that wants to do the opposite (Senator from Wyoming). Let's start getting active and contact our Senators
I think they probably did this to address confusion about the tax credit expiration. It was getting widely reported that the deadline for the credit is October 15, 2018 - which is false.

But the fact remains that if you want to be eligible for the full credit, and want to be safe and order in time to ensure delivery before the end of the year, then you should place your order now or very shortly (so that you stay within this 4 to 8 week timeframe for delivery).

I am super bummed, I was one of those people for whom a Tesla was only justifiable if I could get the base model plus the $7500 tax credit. Waited in line early in the morning, put down my $1k, the whole business. But I can't spend more than $30k on the thing, it's just not responsible! I presume there is no chance, at all, of any base models going out before the end of the year, right? Sorry if I am way behind here, but I have been sort of avoiding recognizing this because I will have to get my deposit back and that's just gonna be depressing.
None. Honestly... there never was much chance. We all knew they'd release the higher-specced trims first and that that would trigger the phaseout.

Unless your income was high enough (64547 single, or 89676 married, assuming no tax-preferred income and no deductions other than the standard) you wouldn't have been able to use the full $7500 tax credit anyway, if that helps you think of it as sour grapes.

Are you sure you can't afford the $35000 car with the $3750 tax credit early next year?