Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Agile prices. Did they just add another 30 min to the peak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Your unit rate calculation
The unit rate charge (in pence per kilowatt-hour) for a given half-hour period is:

min(2.2 x W + P, 33.33)
where:

• 2.2 is a coefficient that includes our distribution costs
  • W is the wholesale cost of electricity for that period (in pence per kilowatt-hour)
  • P has value 12.00 between 4pm and 7pm but is zero otherwise.
  • 33.33 is chosen to ensure the price is capped at 35p/kWh once VAT is added.

So today 7-7:30 has a unit rate of 32.34, then dropping to 16.84

6:30-7 is 34.65

So either wholesale price is double for that 30 min or they added another 30 min for their +12p "peak".

In my region it's over 30p until 8pm tonight, and it's hit the ceiling at 35p until the end of the peak 4-7pm range. This would seem to match with the wholesales price just being super high.

From what I can see, it seems mostly all online?

Attachments

• 037FE5E4-BB6F-46AB-97ED-25BA4CC83123.png
    037FE5E4-BB6F-46AB-97ED-25BA4CC83123.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
We got our latest bill today, average charge of 13.43p per kWh including VAT, up from 7.74p per kWh for our first few months, so almost double the cost now, however it's still not that bad compared to standard tariffs.

We got our latest bill today, average charge of 13.43p per kWh including VAT, up from 7.74p per kWh for our first few months, so almost double the cost now, however it's still not that bad compared to standard tariffs.

Just had a look at our average, for comparison, as we're on a standard Economy 7 tariff. Over the past year the average we've been charged for our usage has been 11.61p/kWh.

We're in North East Scotland, most standard tarriff's are in the 14p-20p kWh region. I'm still happy enough but with everyone in the house either back to work or school it must be at the point where Go would work out cheaper for me, a fixed tarriff of 14.46 kWh no need to bother about times for cooking etc. We can put the washing machine and dishwasher on timer through the night.

Reactions: Beady3647
Just got my bill for September on Go tariff. Average was £0.0536 per KWh.
To be fair I was pulling next to nothing from the grid during peak times
The bill for standing charge was double the amount for electricity used :(

Just got my bill for September on Go tariff. Average was £0.0536 per KWh.
To be fair I was pulling next to nothing from the grid during peak times
The bill for standing charge was double the amount for electricity used :(

I keep a spreadsheet updated with our actual usage and the relative cost for a handful of tariffs, including Go and Agile, as I keep reviewing them to see which comes out on top for our usage pattern. Just checked, and for the year to date Go would have been only very slightly more expensive than the standard E7 tariff we're on. The difference has come down over the past few months, but a lot of that will be because our heating has been off since about the end of March. Once the heating comes on again, perhaps in a month or so's time, I suspect that the cost of being on Go will increase a bit.

The impact of the usage pattern makes a massive difference as to which tariff comes out on top, I've found. It's also a lot of hassle to try and track usage hour by hour every day, and correlate that with variable tariffs like Agile. The three comparison websites I checked a week or so ago seemed to be hopelessly inaccurate, so much so that none came close to finding the cheapest tariff for us. Trying to determine which supplier gives the best deal has, I believe, been deliberately made a great deal more difficult, perhaps because it suits the suppliers to make it as hard as possible to accurately compare prices for any individual usage pattern.

I keep a spreadsheet updated with our actual usage and the relative cost for a handful of tariffs, including Go and Agile, as I keep reviewing them to see which comes out on top for our usage pattern. Just checked, and for the year to date Go would have been only very slightly more expensive than the standard E7 tariff we're on. The difference has come down over the past few months, but a lot of that will be because our heating has been off since about the end of March. Once the heating comes on again, perhaps in a month or so's time, I suspect that the cost of being on Go will increase a bit.

The impact of the usage pattern makes a massive difference as to which tariff comes out on top, I've found. It's also a lot of hassle to try and track usage hour by hour every day, and correlate that with variable tariffs like Agile. The three comparison websites I checked a week or so ago seemed to be hopelessly inaccurate, so much so that none came close to finding the cheapest tariff for us. Trying to determine which supplier gives the best deal has, I believe, been deliberately made a great deal more difficult, perhaps because it suits the suppliers to make it as hard as possible to accurately compare prices for any individual usage pattern.
I keep a spreadsheet too. There’s a limit to how much time I’d be prepared to spend monitoring agile and to be frank I can’t be bothered for a few pence. I stick with Go while it’s night rate is cheap.

Reactions: MrBadger