Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy referral code please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all! I have a question and I’m hoping that someone on here might be able to help. I currently reside in two properties during the week. One is my own property which has an EV charger (Not used yet) and I am there Fri-Mon most weeks and during holiday periods, currently on British Gas standard rate electric and gas. The other is provided by work which I stay Mon-Thu. The bills are all inclusive - Very lucky I know!!

My question relates to the fact of, ‘would I be better off switching to Octopus Go in my own property or would the higher peak prices make it pointless’’. Im trying to understand as an EV newbie how much I’d need to charge to actually see the savings.

Evening all! I have a question and I’m hoping that someone on here might be able to help. I currently reside in two properties during the week. One is my own property which has an EV charger (Not used yet) and I am there Fri-Mon most weeks and during holiday periods, currently on British Gas standard rate electric and gas. The other is provided by work which I stay Mon-Thu. The bills are all inclusive - Very lucky I know!!

My question relates to the fact of, ‘would I be better off switching to Octopus Go in my own property or would the higher peak prices make it pointless’’. Im trying to understand as an EV newbie how much I’d need to charge to actually see the savings.
Hard to say without understanding your consumption, which you won't really know until you've had the car for a while.

Do you already have a smart meter at your home address? That way you can hopefully access your consumption during peak/non peak hours to understand what your usage patterns could be.

The Octopus Compare app (unofficial) allows you to forecast costs across multiple Octopus tariffs and their pro version allows comparison against non Octopus tariffs too - might be a place to start?

Apple store link here: ‎Octopus Compare
Android here: Octopus Compare – Apps on Google Play

Reactions: Morpheus84

In my household, even without car we are better off with Octopus Go. We pay ~0.33/kWh in comparison to the 0.35/kWh with the flex tariff. We do try to run dishwasher/washing machine/dryer during night times as much as possible.

Octopus energy gives you a nice api to pull your consumption data. Combined with some Excel magic you can calculate what’s best for you

In my household, even without car we are better off with Octopus Go. We pay ~0.33/kWh in comparison to the 0.35/kWh with the flex tariff. We do try to run dishwasher/washing machine/dryer during night times as much as possible.

Octopus energy gives you a nice api to pull your consumption data. Combined with some Excel magic you can calculate what’s best for you
You must be on an older fixed Go tariff as the daytime rate is now more than a standard variable tariff for new contracts.