Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Demand forecast for the coming weeks:

1704555833469.png

National Grid need to select 4 days, so would they really go for 15th–18th Jan in a row?

Suspect not, so perhaps Wed 10th a Test event, Mon 15th Live, Wed 17th Test leaving one spare.

Upvote 0
While the DFS is a bit of a special case there is the usual National Grid market-like environment for generators and demand drivers - so in theory Octopus could take part in that with last minute or API-driven charge/discharge events to cover the cost. Time will tell.

Tesla recently made Powerwall available through their new FleetAPI SDK, so hoping for smarter Flux tariff too.

Reactions: ringi
Upvote 0
… and we’re actually exporting 2GW to France at the moment.
What a weird day.
We had 13gw of wind on the grid at peak time yesterday. The November DFS sessions had much less...

France has a lot of electric heating (large estate of nuclear keeping prices predictable and generally reasonable. Not sure how much of the ancillary costs (decommissioning, reprocessing, disposal) are reflected in the cost of electric vs government funded), so they tend to need to import when it gets cold.

Upvote 0
Code:
    Demand  Margin
Mo 45.0 GW 15.0 GW
Tu 43.6 GW  9.5 GW
We 44.0 GW  6.7 GW
Th 44.9 GW 10.6 GW
Fr 44.5 GW 11.3 GW

So suspect there could be Live DFS events on Tuesday and Wednesday, that I’ll be able to opt-into this time.

Still awaiting outcome from Octopus as to whether I’ll get any compensation for not being able to opt-in the first three.
6 days response wait suggesting not a No? Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: phil4 and PITA
Upvote 0
Exciting news! Heard from Octopus Energy’s Brooke M. on X/Twitter this evening that their team has approved credit for those first three Saving Sessions that I was unable to opt into due to the unexpected metering issue. Also caught sight of the radio transmitters on nearby 3/EE cell tower flashing away again just yesterday. Excellent customer service, benefiting from consistency of assigned agent - worth a 5* TrustPilot review. Referral link in my profile detail, naturally ;)

‘Customer service gesture’ for the missing 169,872 OctoPoints gratefully received - keeping the zero bills potential going for another month :)

(I’ll donate the excess to their OctoAssist fund once that becomes available, got to keep the 3× 800 Missing Readings bonus too)

Last edited:
Upvote 0