Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Powerwall integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IO Flux was announced as having integration support for Powerwall (suspect shortly, as I didn't see any option to sign-up either).

Uncertain if this is just for PW3 API or for an upcoming upgrade to Tesla’s fleet API/SDK.

When I last looked into this I couldn't see how Octopus could automate PW3 to discharge on demand as there was no access to tariff offered.

IO Flux was announced as having integration support for Powerwall (suspect shortly, as I didn't see any option to sign-up either).

Uncertain if this is just for PW3 API or for an upcoming upgrade to Tesla’s fleet API/SDK.

When I last looked into this I couldn't see how Octopus could automate PW3 to discharge on demand as there was no access to tariff offered.
Are the PW2 and PW3 so very different that they would merit completely separate APIs? Can it not just be "one big PW fleet"?
(He says, clearly not a tech guy)

The PW3 still needs a Gateway at the moment (apparently software in the future may remove that need), so I expect it can be done for PW2 and PW3.

On the flipside there's a mass of installed PW2, and almost no PW3 at the moment, plus cost of living crisis, lack of grants etc.. may not be a good market to aim for. Flip side, is Octopus saying they're do PW3 installs.

Could be anything really.

However, doesn't work for everyone. I do too much EV charging and have too little solar to make Flux work even if I could, so I'm better using IOG off peak to run the house and charge the cars.

The PW3 still needs a Gateway at the moment (apparently software in the future may remove that need), so I expect it can be done for PW2 and PW3.

On the flipside there's a mass of installed PW2, and almost no PW3 at the moment, plus cost of living crisis, lack of grants etc.. may not be a good market to aim for. Flip side, is Octopus saying they're do PW3 installs.

Could be anything really.

However, doesn't work for everyone. I do too much EV charging and have too little solar to make Flux work even if I could, so I'm better using IOG off peak to run the house and charge the cars.
On the flip, flip side there is now no VAT on the batteries. 21% reduction is not trivial!
I, like you, would not change to flux. IOG is just too damn good for my usage pattern.
What would be perfect, though, is for Octopus to charge the car and the batteries simultaneously so that you don't have to worry about car charging slots during peak times draining the Powerwalls if you're not managing them manually.
(That was an appallingly constructed sentence, I hope you understand what I mean)

Reactions: phil4
Think you misunderstood my earlier post. Am a tech guy! The PW3 local interface may offer more than PW2 but obviously both could be firmware updated remotely. Octopus only announced IO Flux support on the same day that PW3 started to arrive in the UK, coincidental or related? Like I said, I checked Tesla’s OAuth2 API not that long ago and couldn’t see a way that Octopus could automate the PW time-of-use prices and times, and Octopus also admitted they had no plans to support PW then. So some discussions must have been had with Tesla or Tesla have revealed to their clients an intended future update to make much requested capabilities possible. Indeed they have!

However, like you the IOG tariff still wins out if charging an EV. Thought VAT was 20%?

Last edited:
Have either of you looked at the NetZero app for iphone. Somehow, the developer had managed to program the PW tariff screens with the days Agile prices, so there's clearly someway of feeding that to the PW API.