Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd charging behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have noticed a few times now that my X keeps taking on power even past the set SOC. Car was set to 90% and I get in after a night plugged in and it’s at 93%. Today, I get in the garage and see the HPWC is working. Get in the car and it’s at 82% on a setting of 80%. Again, the car showed power being drawn. Car was locked both times and no preconditioning taking place. Anyone else? What’s up?

Hi Steilkurve,

There was some peculiar charging behavior around December (2019).
It was thought to be software related.
If you are current 2020.8.1 your charge behavior could be / should be better...

Also there may have been peculiar charging behavior related to "scheduled" charging.

Please check your software - if you are current try a reboot.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hello,

I have a 2016 MX and 2018 M3 both on 2020.4.1.

I have noticed this +1 or 2% behavior on home charging, a few times. When I display Miles instead of percent it seems to jump around a bit. I have noticed 3 or 4 miles of range to suddenly disappear when the car goes to sleep and then reawakens. Weird - hope it goes back to normal after next update.

Have noticed a few times now that my X keeps taking on power even past the set SOC. Car was set to 90% and I get in after a night plugged in and it’s at 93%. Today, I get in the garage and see the HPWC is working. Get in the car and it’s at 82% on a setting of 80%. Again, the car showed power being drawn. Car was locked both times and no preconditioning taking place. Anyone else? What’s up?
I had an odd issue linked to the use of the somewhat recently added scheduled departure feature. (Charge port red after successful HPWC charge completion). While my symptom was a charging fault after successful completion of the overnight scheduled charge, Tesla ultimately confirmed there was a bug that would sometimes manifest itself in charging beyond the setpoint which sounds like what you are seeing. See post #14 in that thread for the message Tesla ultimately sent confirming the bug. As with most bugs, there was no suggestion of when it would be fixed.

Hi Steilkurve,

There was some peculiar charging behavior around December (2019).
It was thought to be software related.
If you are current 2020.8.1 your charge behavior could be / should be better...

Also there may have been peculiar charging behavior related to "scheduled" charging.

Please check your software - if you are current try a reboot.

Good luck,

Shawn

I’m on 2020.8.1 and the ‘incidents’ have happened before and after this update.

Hi Steilkurve,

Sorry to hear that the current software has not helped.
In December I had the opposite problem - The charge would
consistently stop as "complete" before the set limit...
For me it was resolved with the 2020.x.x software.

Good luck,

Shawn

This started happening to me sometimes after I started using scheduled departure. It seemed to happen most often when I left a few hours after my set departure time. I switched to start charging at a set time and have not had any more occurrences. Hopefully that will work for you also.

This started happening to me sometimes after I started using scheduled departure. It seemed to happen most often when I left a few hours after my set departure time. I switched to start charging at a set time and have not had any more occurrences. Hopefully that will work for you also.

Interesting you say that. This is one of the things I tried after noticing the second occurence of overcharging and have not seen it since.

What's also interesting is that I have a 3 as well and Depart At doesn't seem to create problems on that car. Maybe it's the older gear in my X? At any rate. I'll see if that fix holds. Thanks.

Reactions: Hebert