Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd m3 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning Everyone,

I bought a used Model 3 yesterday, bit of a strange one, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

When the wiper blades are activated I can feel it in the brake pedal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Been on this forum aa long time and this is definitely a first for me. never seen anything like that reported
Goes without saying there is no physical connectivity between the brakes and wipers so it sounds like an electrical issue.
Thank you, crisis averted, I noticed a clacking just below the drivers side pillar, opened the frunk and theres a plastic guard that covers the inner part of the frunk hinge and holds the 'washer top up cover' in place. It was loose and the wiper arm was knocking it and sending the vibration into the brake pedal. Clicked it all back into place. Mystery solved, hope this helps someone.

Some more questions if thats okay.

Will Tesla sort these issues under warranty?

1) Condensation in rear lights
2) Boot panel gap
3) Condensation in head light
What year is your car (is it within the standard warranty period)? If so I would think all those will be covered. We had our rear light clusters replaced under warranty for condensation issues. Boot gap shouldn’t be a big issue for them to adjust. Not heard people routinely complaining about condensation in headlights but should be a warranty item.

Reactions: carnutt

2) Boot panel gap
“If it’s bad enough”
Obviously it’s Tesla’s judgement which may not match your own! Some condensation that comes and goes depending on weather seems to be regarded as acceptable these days but if it builds up over time and you end up with a permanent pool at the bottom of the light fitting that should be replaced.

What year is your car (is it within the standard warranty period)? If so I would think all those will be covered. We had our rear light clusters replaced under warranty for condensation issues. Boot gap shouldn’t be a big issue for them to adjust. Not heard people routinely complaining about condensation in headlights but should be a warranty item.
Its in standard warranty until December. Thank you

“If it’s bad enough”
Obviously it’s Tesla’s judgement which may not match your own! Some condensation that comes and goes depending on weather seems to be regarded as acceptable these days but if it builds up over time and you end up with a permanent pool at the bottom of the light fitting that should be replaced.
Thanks, its pretty bad, my newer beijing build is showing no condensation in either headlights or tail lights in the same conditions.

Thank you, crisis averted, I noticed a clacking just below the drivers side pillar, opened the frunk and theres a plastic guard that covers the inner part of the frunk hinge and holds the 'washer top up cover' in place. It was loose and the wiper arm was knocking it and sending the vibration into the brake pedal. Clicked it all back into place. Mystery solved, hope this helps someone.
So turns out there WAS physical connectivity between the wipers and brakes then. who knew 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado and carnutt
Hey, just remember ... you're driving a "classic"! Built by actual Americans (probably some of the same Americans that love to bash Chinese made goods in Youtube comments!)
To be fair (and to try to ruin your joke) I always assumed the condensation problem was a design issue which they fixed before the MiC cars arrived rather than a build issue but I have no evidence to back that up.

More to add to the todo list - so far theres...
• Condensation in rear lights
• Boot panel gap
• Condensation in head light

Latest-
• Squeaky suspension when turning and low speed, Im guessing this is definitely the infamous upper and lower control arms (sounds like rubbing polystyrene)
• Front passenger window has condensation in lower corner between the "double glazing"
• Both B pillars have haze at bottom and condensation in front of the cameras (seems an easy fix with the covers being replaced)

Glad the users here recommended I go for something used with remaining Tesla warranty! Thanks everyone

On a brighter note, these should all be fixed by Tesla and the car drives well, the extra power is very noticeable over the new LR RWD but the economy under similar driving is pretty much the same... until I make haste then it obviously uses more. The niggles havent made me want to return the car yet but if I was buying a Fremont M3 without warranty Id be a little concerned about the common issues and costs to repair.

Last edited:

2) Boot panel gap
Take photos of the headlight condensation. If it's like mine in the cold weather it was bad enough to run down the plastic cover making it look like zebra stripes on the snow. I originally complained 3 years ago but I didn't take photos. They said it was normal. A couple of months before my warranty ran out I took photos and asked for a service. They replaced them without any comment. Same process for the rear. Good luck

Reactions: carnutt
Time to update, Ill add as much detail as possible as to how these niggles are sorted, or any workarounds I stumble across.

1) Condensation in rear lights, if pooling, drill pilot then reseal, if minor, reseal with adhesive around joint between lens and case. If under warranty get replaced.
2) Boot panel gap - Can be fixed by loosening the 2 bolts on the boot hinge then moving hinge forward or backward, make small adjustments, check alignment before shutting boot. If youre in warranty get Tesla to do it but otherwise seems a simple fix.

Latest-
4) Squeaky suspension when turning and low speed, Im guessing this is definitely the infamous upper and lower control arms (sounds like rubbing polystyrene)
5) Front passenger window has condensation in lower corner between the "double glazing"
6) Both B pillars have haze at bottom and condensation in front of the cameras (seems an easy fix with the covers being replaced)

5 & 6 are resolved, they were just stubborn wax the dealer had not removed. I scratched them with my fingernail and noticed a streak so used some decent cleaner and they disappeared.

Last edited:
Had no4 replaced twice. The sound is exactly as you describe.
Thanks, it seems a very common issue, even on low mileage vehicles, it supposedly happens when the grease in the ball joint dries up / leaks, but its a 1 piece component so they replace the entire arm. From what I have researched Tesla made a revised part but not much better. Temp fix is to inject more grease into the ball joint and rotate the pin.