Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd noise around 35-40mph that's fairly random

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I just took delivery of a 70D, but on the way home I encountered a bothersome momentary noise that I don't know what it is. The noise sounds like a tire going over grooved pavement, and the first time it happened I assumed that was it.

Then it started happening under really light right turns so I thought that had something to do with it, but then I noticed it a couple times on straight aways. It does sound like some kind of rubbing noise.

I turned off the AC to rule that out.
The lane departure is off.

It doesn't really happen under moderate/heavy acceleration. When it happens it's mostly close to zero energy usage, or slightly in regen. I'm going to try changing the regen to low to see if that is at all a contributing factor.

It only happens for a few seconds and is seemingly random.

I'm going to try to record the noise to help in identification.

Outside of this noise everything seems fine aside from a dash rattle. The dash rattle happens over certain road types, but thankfully its fine most of the time. The dash rattle I'm not too worried about, but with this other noise I'm concerned about the root cause.

After further testing I'm going to have to conclude user error. That I somehow I had lane departure on when I thought I had turned it off.

I couldn't replicate the sound again with it off, and when it's on it sound just like the noise kept hearing. It sometimes falsely activates because of poor road lines.