Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Supercharger Navigation Suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked before - I did search.

I'm in Gloucestershire and am planning to go to North Yorkshire starting with a not full S75 (with CCS). It's an easy route, M5, whole of M42 and then M1.

For this journey when full, I would normally charge at Woodall so I set the navigation to Woodall to see if I had enough charge to get there and it recommended stopping at Hopwood Park. That surprised me so I set the navigation to Mansfield and I could make that easily.

My question is, why would it suggest I stop earlier at Hopwood Park (by 70 miles) with a fuller battery than if I stop at Mansfield?

Is it a) clever enough to know that Mansfield could be full and it is better to stop early at a possibly less crowded Hopwood Park or
b) stupid enough to not know that charging is quicker with a less full battery
or something else?

TIA

David

Sorry if this has been asked before - I did search.

I'm in Gloucestershire and am planning to go to North Yorkshire starting with a not full S75 (with CCS). It's an easy route, M5, whole of M42 and then M1.

For this journey when full, I would normally charge at Woodall so I set the navigation to Woodall to see if I had enough charge to get there and it recommended stopping at Hopwood Park. That surprised me so I set the navigation to Mansfield and I could make that easily.

My question is, why would it suggest I stop earlier at Hopwood Park (by 70 miles) with a fuller battery than if I stop at Mansfield?

Is it a) clever enough to know that Mansfield could be full and it is better to stop early at a possibly less crowded Hopwood Park or
b) stupid enough to not know that charging is quicker with a less full battery
or something else?

TIA

David
It also considers charging time vs total journey time - by telling it you wanted to end your journey at woodall its decided you won’t make it that far so it’s picked a location where it thinks you will be able to charge for less time before continuing your journey.

Mansfield is presumably further along and for whatever reason it’s decided you would need to charge longer at Mansfield. (No idea what % it reckons you would arrive at)

it’s decided you would need to charge longer at Mansfield.
Thanks! Thinking again though, it'd definitley be faster charge speed at Mansfield but the motorway to SC to motorway transit time will be longer there too - this is probably the answer.
I guess it more depends on whether I want to eat (Hopwood) or shop (Mansfield (which also has eating options, of course)) Mansfield is about 70 miles further on, I wouldn't be a low enough %age to get into the slow initial bit.

Thanks again 👍

It’s on the southbound side, but you can use the access roads to switch sides from the northbound side 👍🏼
It's never planned a route using the crossover between Woodall North and South. It used to be mentioned in the SuperCharger info, but I can't remember if that's still the case. I've used crossover a few times without issue, but there isn't signage to SuperChargers on the Northbound side.

I find in the summer it underestimates the range by quite a lot. For example, when I set off from rural Northumberland towards Cardiff, satnav says I have to stop at Woodall. I know from experience that in the summer the car can easily get to Hopwood Park, so I set this as a destination. The car then puts in Woodall as an intermediate stop, which I have to remove manually. It then says I'll only get to Hopwood if I stay below 60mph. I drive normally at 70mph and easily get to Hopwood, usually with 10-20% of battery left.

So what I'm saying basically is in the summer, you can go further than it thinks. In the winter however I would do what it says.

I have taken the route from Gloucestershire to South Yorkshire twice in the past couple of weeks and got the same suggestions from the car as you for charging. I realised that Mansfield would be a 'better' stop so just changed the destination myself. On the way back the car insisted (even though I kept telling it to recalculate en-route) that I needed to stop at Woodhall until about 30 miles away. At that point it decided I could have Mansfield as my charge stop. I have concluded from this that the Tesla charging logic is beyond my level of understanding, but once you have done the route once, you will know the best place to stop. From then on I think it is safe to just set the chargers as your destination rather than the final destination.

Reactions: adsheff
Mansfield not necessarily quicker even though they are V3s. If you catch it in the middle of the day, it can be so busy that it takes a while to get in and out of the car park. Last time we hit it on a Saturday and concluded that Woodall would have saved us time overall.