Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd window behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've observed this behavior on all four windows on my model 3. Occasionally, after rolling the window up, attempting to roll the window back down immediately has no effect (tried both driver button and the button on the door with the behavior). Every time, after waiting 20-30 seconds, the window becomes fully operational.

Initially it seemed to obviously be an issue. But I realized I can repro the behavior reliably by rolling any of the windows down fully, then back up fully, in repetition 5-10 times. This has made me wonder if it's some sort of built-in behavior to prevent over-taxing the window motor, and perhaps I just happen to hit the case randomly on the first try.

Even stranger, I've verified that even when the window is in this "won't go down" state, opening the door does still lower the window as expected to clear the trim. Would anyone mind trying this full-down, full-up sequence a bunch of times to see if it happens for you too? I'd hate for mobile service to rip into all four doors and replace a part just because of a behavior that's actually intentional.

edit: I should also mention that, yes, I've tried the standard recalibration steps with no change.

Last edited:
I've observed this behavior on all four windows on my model 3. Occasionally, after rolling the window up, attempting to roll the window back down immediately has no effect (tried both driver button and the button on the door with the behavior). Every time, after waiting 20-30 seconds, the window becomes fully operational.

Initially it seemed to obviously be an issue. But I realized I can repro the behavior reliably by rolling any of the windows down fully, then back up fully, in repetition 5-10 times. This has made me wonder if it's some sort of built-in behavior to prevent over-taxing the window motor, and perhaps I just happen to hit the case randomly on the first try.

Even stranger, I've verified that even when the window is in this "won't go down" state, opening the door does still lower the window as expected to clear the trim. Would anyone mind trying this full-down, full-up sequence a bunch of times to see if it happens for you too? I'd hate for mobile service to rip into all four doors and replace a part just because of a behavior that's actually intentional.

edit: I should also mention that, yes, I've tried the standard recalibration steps with no change.
I haven't noticed the behavior you described. However, I have noticed a different odd but consistent behavior. When the driver's window is fully down, and I hit the button to raise it, the window will start moving up (about 3 inches) , then stop, reverse, and fully lower again. If I hold the button until the window has raised more than the 3 inches, it doesn't reverse down again. Every other car I've owned has fully raised the window if if held the up button long enough to start the window rolling up.

I haven't noticed the behavior you described. However, I have noticed a different odd but consistent behavior. When the driver's window is fully down, and I hit the button to raise it, the window will start moving up (about 3 inches) , then stop, reverse, and fully lower again. If I hold the button until the window has raised more than the 3 inches, it doesn't reverse down again. Every other car I've owned has fully raised the window if if held the up button long enough to start the window rolling up.
I see this sometimes as well. I’m not convinced it would go away if they replace something in the door.

Mine doesn't do this and it behaves as expected. Have you tried recalibrating the window?

Aren't the window controls two position, one for up until let go and the other for up all the way? Which are you using? Or is this different in a model 3 than an X? Do you operate the windows through a button on the door or through the console?

I’m glad to hear that actually, and it kind of makes sense. Mind sharing the email if you still have it?
I just looked and the e-mail doesn't state it. I had to take my car in because the drivers side window was making a "thud" when I rolled the window down. They ended up replacing the regulator and said that the button disabling was normal. Of course I originally emailed Tesla in Sep and they didn't respond until Oct..

"We apologize that there has been a large delay in responding to your email. We do see that you have been in contact with us since your original email, and we are hopeful that your problem has been completely resolved."

• Helpful
Reactions: silenteski
I have the same issue consistently on all windows with an extra twist that you may also have. Upon raising windows as you say about three inches or so, it immediately goes back down. When I raise it 2/3 of the way up, it does the same thing. It's either all or nothing, Does anyone have a 3 or Y that doesn't exhibit this behavoir?