Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odds that entire Model S dash is about to change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theory (partially lifted from Elektrek):

• Model 3 has the new unified ventilation system in order to provide more room for the optics of a huge HUD projector
  • Model 3 reveal part III was stated by Elon to be 2-4 months away - 2 months ago.
  • Model 3 reveal PT III will show the "spaceship controls" that Elon tweeted months ago will be the steering and control system - unless there's a reveal PT IV - but we're awfully close to the start of production.
  • Continuing Tesla's promise to put new tech in Model S first and also to avoid Osborning - HUD / spaceship controls come to Model S at the same time.
  • Model 3 production still slated to be launched in second half 2017 and Musk still claiming 100K+ cars produced in 2017 - so I'd think the final dash design is locked or close to locked at this point - they could have been building/designing a similar dash for the S/X in parallel all this time.

If the control system of the Model 3 is a radical departure from the prototype (Elon's own words "wait til you see the real steering and control system - it's like a spaceship") is it possible the Model S has an entirely new dash and interior waiting in the wings to be sprung on us any minute now?

Counter argument would be that the Model X's interior is identical almost to the S and it was just introduced 12 months ago.

If the HUD *does* show up with the existing dash - are we now going to have three separate displays on the S? Steering wheel display, center screen AND a huge HUD on the windshield?

Last edited:
Reactions: CHG-ON
I think we're gonna see some major interior upgrades in Model S before and after Model 3 debut. They have to justify the $33,000 price differential between a base 3 and a base S. Space-ship like steering wheel and HUD make sense. Model X 5-seater style 2nd row seats seems like a no-brainer. Model X-style auto-presenting doors? 360 degree parking cameras? Ventilated seats that blow?

Reactions: CHG-ON
I agree. They will need to do a major refresh to the MS. It'll be five years since release and they need to differentiate it to keep MS sales going. The margin is so much higher and they need it. I would think that there was not a whole lot of cost in using the MS dash in the MX. Though I am not familiar on the underpinning changes between the two. I simply can't imagine that they would release a HUD on the M3 and not on at least the MS. I think that would kill lower end MS sales overnight.