Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing directly Tesla related but so gobsmacked at how appauling the Peugeot app is that I have to share.

I have MY and have always loved the app. My Kia e-niro app is poor but does the basics. Just took delivery of a 23 plate e-208 and WOW (in a bad way)

I've been told that through the app climate control can be activated but it will only ever be at 21 degrees - it cannot be adjusted. Also, the charge limit cannot be adjusted either in the app or car itself. It will always be 100%, which apparently is actually around 90% to protect SOH. The odd times it may actually need the full 100% is not possible.
To top it off, to activate these so called connected services, i have to drive the car on a number of journies of a certain length for the servers to recognise the car.

I'm taken back at how mad this seems compared to the Tesla app. Is it any wonder OEMs are struggling when they're this far behind?? I will never complain about the Tesla app taking time to find the car ever again.

Interested to hear from anyone with an e208 or e2008

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
The VW app is also incredibly poor, but so is the software in the cars. While it is supposed to have preheating & charge scheduling etc, it almost never worked for the whole year I owned my ID3. If the general car software had been better, I likely would have kept it longer but it was unbearably bad.

The Tesla software is not without its problems but from the reviews and info I've seen from all the other comparable cars, it's going to be challenging to expect anything remotely close to the functionality from any other marque.

Nothing directly Tesla related but so gobsmacked at how appauling the Peugeot app is that I have to share.

I have MY and have always loved the app. My Kia e-niro app is poor but does the basics. Just took delivery of a 23 plate e-208 and WOW (in a bad way)

I've been told that through the app climate control can be activated but it will only ever be at 21 degrees - it cannot be adjusted. Also, the charge limit cannot be adjusted either in the app or car itself. It will always be 100%, which apparently is actually around 90% to protect SOH. The odd times it may actually need the full 100% is not possible.
To top it off, to activate these so called connected services, i have to drive the car on a number of journies of a certain length for the servers to recognise the car.

I'm taken back at how mad this seems compared to the Tesla app. Is it any wonder OEMs are struggling when they're this far behind?? I will never complain about the Tesla app taking time to find the car ever again.

We have an eRifter and the app is dire, as is updating car satnav & software.
If you send a destination to the car, thereafter it just stays in the app. The app occasionally connects to the car if you’re lucky. It’s a waste of space.

Reactions: Craigm86

This sounds virtually the same as the Fiat app (both are Stellantis). It allows schedules to be set, without an adjustable charge limit (as above) and climate to be activated but with no option to turn off. Every action taken also requires the pin to be input which is tedious in the extreme.

The 500e is a great little EV but the app is pretty useless and only 'free' for the first few years. We will not renew a subscription when due.

This sounds virtually the same as the Fiat app (both are Stellantis). It allows schedules to be set, without an adjustable charge limit (as above) and climate to be activated but with no option to turn off. Every action taken also requires the pin to be input which is tedious in the extreme.

The 500e is a great little EV but the app is pretty useless and only 'free' for the first few years. We will not renew a subscription when due.
Oh really? I didn't realise it was chargeable. Thats nuts. How much?

We came from a Vauxhall Mokka-E which uses the same app with a different skin and I agree it is absolutely woeful.. very rarely connected and was often out of action for hours if not days on end. Preconditioning never worked and the location showed where the device accessing the app was rather than the car. Ended up using it purely for checking when charging had finished (when it actually refreshed SOC that is).

Hard to believe we're in 2023 with all the available tech on every device imaginable, yet the biggest car manufacturers are failing to deliver simple connectivity to their newest vehicles. Even the app for my washing machine & tumble dryer is 100% reliable to configure & monitor wash cycles at scheduled times.

We have a Peugeot e-2008 and yes, the app is truly an abomination. It’s ugly, unintuitive, buggy, slow and only works about 20% of the time.

While we’re at it, firmware updates are also really primitive. There are three kinds - infotainment, navigation and car. The former two involve download via a computer on to a USB stick and then plugging it in to the car - a two hour process. Car needs to be “on” while the update is happening. The latter has to be done at a dealer, who aren’t keen. We’re booked in for a critical recall software update - a three month wait! Day job, courtesy car is chargeable.

Last edited:
We have a Peugeot e-2008 and yes, the app is truly an abomination. It’s ugly, unintuitive, buggy, slow and only works about 20% of the time.

While we’re at it, firmware updates are also really primitive. There are three kinds - infotainment, navigation and car. The former two involve download via a computer on to a USB stick and then plugging it in to the car - a two hour process. Car needs to be “on” while the update is happening. The latter has to be done at a dealer, who aren’t keen. We’re booked in for a critical recall software update - a three month wait! Day job, courtesy car is chargeable.
Thanks to a recent Pug post, I just connect the seatbelt get out and let the in-car updates get on with it. No need to be in the car for an hour 😁

While we’re at it, firmware updates are also really primitive. There are three kinds - infotainment, navigation and car. The former two involve download via a computer on to a USB stick and then plugging it in to the car - a two hour process. Car needs to be “on” while the update is happening. The latter has to be done at a dealer, who aren’t keen.
Same with Fiat but the car has been fault free since new 12/01/22 so I've avoided software or any other updates (dealer visit, up to 2 days apparently).
Apple CarPlay works well for Nav/music etc & everything else is pretty good in-car already.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it".

My father in law has the ioniq6 and also has had big issues with the app. Being to told to delete it and reinstall several times to get it to work. I've tried to stay out of it but I had to raise my eyebrows when he sent me a link to download navigation updates (could only be done via PC and he doesn't have one), load onto USB stick and take to car. It all felt a little "old school" to me.

The app is now only free for 6months! And i cannot even find out how much it costs after that.

However you can turn off the climate contrary to what you said. Though it only turns on at 22degrees
You can use a finger print which is a bit quicker than a pin

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57

I’ve had my e208 for 3 years and it took Peugeot dealer 2 years (and 8 warranty visits) of that to get my car to speak with outside world and hence my App to work.

I set it to start charging at 00:30 for cheap rate and mine charges to 100% each time.

I love the car to drive (locally) and so it was a frustration rather than deal breaker to me.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
A friend is getting a Nissan Ariya - anyone have good / and things to say about the software on those? (Does it have an APP? Sorry IDK the answer) I wonder if Nissan have been able to put their many years of EV experience to good use with the new model?

A friend is getting a Nissan Ariya - anyone have good / and things to say about the software on those? (Does it have an APP? Sorry IDK the answer) I wonder if Nissan have been able to put their many years of EV experience to good use with the new model?
Their years of experience creating the absolutely woeful app for the Leaf? I would suggest you would be better hoping their was absolutely no crossover from the Leaf app team to the new car.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Yeah leaf software was a mess.. the only thing that actually worked was preheating and that always failed on cold days because the servers would fall over.

What surprises me is newer cars aren't better than this.. in 2016 it was kind of acceptable as apps for cars were new. It's 2023 now, no excuses.

The Tesla app is IMHO really very good, as is the software in the car. Neither are perfect, but software never is.

My wife used to have an ID3 and we both found the VW ID app to be terrible, as was the software in the car. Buggy, slow, lacking features, almost no updates of any value, and terrible UI. VW’s servers are really unreliable too so that made it all even worse.

We swapped the ID3 for an Audi A3 PHEV hybrid recently and its app is half decent, but it’s still quite limited compared to the Tesla app.

The Tesla app is IMHO really very good, as is the software in the car. Neither are perfect, but software never is.

My wife used to have an ID3 and we both found the VW ID app to be terrible, as was the software in the car. Buggy, slow, lacking features, almost no updates of any value, and terrible UI. VW’s servers are really unreliable too so that made it all even worse.

We swapped the ID3 for an Audi A3 PHEV hybrid recently and its app is half decent, but it’s still quite limited compared to the Tesla app.
The app for the Fiat I just bought is a bit clunky but so far functionally it has worked perfectly for the limited things it does. The software in the car is also pretty good. UI is OK and not slow. BT connectivity for Android auto and music etc has been flawless. I know this should be the bare minimum in 2023 but since it apparently is not then credit to Fiat on this one ( so far).
Most annoying thing is that access to the app is now only free for 6 months apparently.