Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM lugs with aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone confirm if OEM lugs are safe to use with aftermarket wheels?

My understanding is that they indeed have a 60 degree tapered seat which is what most aftermarket wheels require.

Asking as local tire shop is trying to upsell me on a winter tire package, and while I know they have a point for many cars, the info I can find on a Tesla suggests that we already have proper lugs.

Can someone confirm if OEM lugs are safe to use with aftermarket wheels?

My understanding is that they indeed have a 60 degree tapered seat which is what most aftermarket wheels require.

Asking as local tire shop is trying to upsell me on a winter tire package, and while I know they have a point for many cars, the info I can find on a Tesla suggests that we already have proper lugs.
Lugs are fine. But if new wheel is thicker - studs might end up being too short to have full engagement.

The problem with the OEM lugs on aftermarket wheels, is that the tapered edge is very deep. A lot of the aftermarket lug nuts the tapered edge is much shorter. And I don't know if that's specifically designed just because these cars put out so much torque and it needs more surface area, or if it's maybe something to do with the OEM wheels. Have no clue.