Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you want a 4K gift because they won’t do a white interior? You can’t compare the P3D situation, that was a blatantly quick price drop that wasn’t fair.

The Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement is a Contract. This is an exchange of promises. Telsa promised to sell me (and others) a LR RWD with white interior, I promised to pay ~ $55k and provided a $3,500 deposit (which forms the "consideration" aspect of the Contract).

Telsa can honor their side of the Contract by ... a) providing the vehicle specified ... b) selling me another long range model with a white interior that is acceptable to me or meets the MVPA specification including the CONTRACT sales price .... or c) wait for a future date and issue a credit for the lost tax deduction caused by their broken promise.

Not sure why you take offense to this? Like the P3D issue, Tesla banks on lots of under-educated people just bending over. It is exactly the same as buying a new house, signing a contract, paying a deposit and then being told you need to pay more for your new house. In this case almost 10% more ... for a vehicle that is going to have 10% less range than what I want.

Even at a full price match where Tesla is selling me AWD for the price of RWD, this represents an inferior vehicle for me. It is a car that weighs more and has less range. How is that a "gift" ??

Every person with a MVPA for a LR RWD with a White interior should ask for whatever remedy they want for the broken Contract. It is utter ignorance to believe that Telsa can put a White interior in a crippled midrange battery pack but not the LR battery pack. Both are RWD only.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
The Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement is a Contract. This is an exchange of promises. Telsa promised to sell me (and others) a LR RWD with white interior, I promised to pay ~ $55k and provided a $3,500 deposit (which forms the "consideration" aspect of the Contract).

Telsa can honor their side of the Contract by ... a) providing the vehicle specified ... b) selling me another long range model with a white interior that is acceptable to me or meets the MVPA specification including the CONTRACT sales price .... or c) wait for a future date and issue a credit for the lost tax deduction caused by their broken promise.

Not sure why you take offense to this? Like the P3D issue, Tesla banks on lots of under-educated people just bending over. It is exactly the same as buying a new house, signing a contract, paying a deposit and then being told you need to pay more for your new house. In this case almost 10% more ... for a vehicle that is going to have 10% less range than what I want.

Even at a full price match where Tesla is selling me AWD for the price of RWD, this represents an inferior vehicle for me. It is a car that weighs more and has less range. How is that a "gift" ??

Every person with a MVPA for a LR RWD with a White interior should ask for whatever remedy they want for the broken Contract. It is utter ignorance to believe that Telsa can put a White interior in a crippled midrange battery pack but not the LR battery pack. Both are RWD only.

I’m not offended I just think your expectations are a little unrealistic. I understand your frustrations because I have had many with my order and I’ve called many times and received no help or attitude. I’ve wasted hours on the phone like many here but I don’t expect to be compensated.

No doubt Tesla’s communication and custserv are lacking. But If we are being even about it, I don’t think I would characterize it as being misled. I would say it was a loophole that we tried to capitalize on that took a month to correct. The only reason we were able to order the white configuration was because we were able to order the MR config and “offline” change to LR keeping the MR specs. The fluidity at which Tesla allows for changes / updates also allowed us to create a non existent spec.

I think you should raise hell and I hope they do something to accommodate your pain and suffering. But the MVPA clearly allows tesla to cancel your order at any time so long as they refund you. I’d aim for something less draconian like free autopilot which costs them nothing.

• Love
Ordered a LR RWD M3 today. I called the local sales center and they found one nearby. Delivery scheduled for 12/6/2018 to my home. The delivery center is in Tampa.

Ordered: LR RWD M3
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black
Wheels: Aero
Options: EAP
Reservation holder: No
Current Owner: Yes

It is utter ignorance to believe that Telsa can put a White interior in a crippled midrange battery pack but not the LR battery pack. Both are RWD only.
I used to have the same POV until I had kids. Growing up I always wondered why my mom made the same dinner for all of us, even if one of us didn't like the dish. Now that I occasionally cook for my family, they know damn well there won't be any short order cooking. Yes, not impossible, but it's too damn hard.

Reactions: jjrandorin

While I don't disagree with you, they never signed said purchase agreement, thus you aren't in any contract with them, nor they with you.

No doubt Tesla’s communication and custserv are lacking. But If we are being even about it, I don’t think I would characterize it as being misled. I would say it was a loophole that we tried to capitalize on that took a month to correct. The only reason we were able to order the white configuration was because we were able to order the MR config and “offline” change to LR keeping the MR specs. The fluidity at which Tesla allows for changes / updates also allowed us to create a non existent spec.

I think you should raise hell and I hope they do something to accommodate your pain and suffering. But the MVPA clearly allows tesla to cancel your order at any time so long as they refund you. I’d aim for something less draconian like free autopilot which costs them nothing.

I still will. I did when I first called, and the IDA even tried to get them to gift me the Autopilot, since the car they matched me with had it, but he was denied. Believe me, I'm going to get something out of it. Their lack of communication, and yes, misleading, because I was told multiple times that I would receive the car, even that it was being built at one point, constitutes a lie. That, coupled with the amount of hours I invested calling, checking, calling back, visiting sales centers, cost me time. And my time isn't free.

I finally got a reply from [email protected]:

Long Range Rear Wheel Drive with a White interior was never offered as an option through our design studio. It was never manufactured.

At this current time we are working on fixing as many of these orders as we could to ensure you receive a vehicle, quick enough in time for the incentive. As it would be impossible for us to make that configuration seeing as we had never offered it as an option.

By default, if a decision is not reached your order will be changed to a premium black interior.

I strongly feel that you will be happy with your car, when you receive it, and you will absolutely love every second of it. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. However we are fixing orders that never should have been made possible, which is why you have not yet been matched to a vehicle.

I finally got a reply from [email protected]:

Long Range Rear Wheel Drive with a White interior was never offered as an option through our design studio. It was never manufactured.

At this current time we are working on fixing as many of these orders as we could to ensure you receive a vehicle, quick enough in time for the incentive. As it would be impossible for us to make that configuration seeing as we had never offered it as an option.

By default, if a decision is not reached your order will be changed to a premium black interior.

I strongly feel that you will be happy with your car, when you receive it, and you will absolutely love every second of it. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. However we are fixing orders that never should have been made possible, which is why you have not yet been matched to a vehicle.

For whatever it might be worth, the "Long Range Rear Wheel Drive with a White interior was never offered as an option" is the same story we were given in late October. Not sure why some (like us) were notified quickly and others were not.

While it was frustrating at the time, and a bummer that we couldn't get Blue/White, we're still super happy with our Midnight Silver/Black. It's an awesome car. Don't let the frustration from this experience talk you out of getting one. The LR RWD is the best variant of the Model 3 period.

• Informative
I just got off the phone with a wonderful lady in the sales dept. at Tesla. She immediately knew about the LR RWD with white interior problem and she also knew one of the people who actually worked on the email that we all got. She connected with him and he was able to switch me right away to an AWD LR with white interior and he kept all the other options my original order had. There was no charge for making the change to AWD even though it was not one of the two options the email offered. Not only that but she also got him to add Full Self Driving at the $3K price that I originally added from off-the-menu but which I never saw added on my order screen. And she said the car will be delivered before the end of the year (I live in Houston). She said I can expect to see the changes on my order screen on Monday.

After all the difficulties I had dealing with 3 other people there at Tesla these past 2 days, this lady was on a whole other level of competence and efficiency!

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and robski
Has anyone else gotten a delivery date but didn’t get a DA assigned? I’m one of the people who successfully (allegedly) changed from a MR to LR off menu. I almost immediately got an email/text which scheduled a delivery date after my OA changed my order to LR and everything on my order page reflected it, minus VIN and MVPA. A week later (today), I still have not heard from a DA so I talked to my OA and he said a DA never got assigned to me! My delivery date is scheduled for a week from now, 12/7, and I need to get my loan finalized ASAP but can’t without a DA to give me the MVPA. It doesn’t sound like my OA can do much more as I don’t believe he’s responsible for assigning me a DA. Is there anyone I can talk to? Any suggestions?

While I don't disagree with you, they never signed said purchase agreement, thus you aren't in any contract with them, nor they with you.
You are sadly wrong. All parties have agreed to digital consent. There is a meeting of the minds and consideration was given on both sides. Once they take your $2,500 the Contract is enforceable. This is why the liquidated damages clause of the Contract can be used to keep your $2,500 if you don't complete your purchase.

• Informative
After sleeping on what to do about the Tesla email giving me only two options, I decided I don't want either option.....

I would remind anyone else that has this unique problem that you do not have to accept either "option" given in that canned email. Let Tesla default on their own.

Tesla is unilaterally agreeing to break their promise. You have ordered prior to 11/30/2018 and Tesla has promised to deliver your car and they have also promised to make sure you receive your car before year end so you receive the full $7,500 tax credit.

Per today's leaked email from Elon Musk, Tesla can now make ~1,000 Model 3s per day so they could easily make your car if they wanted to. They are simply choosing not to honor their promise. If you elected not to honor your promise and decided not to purchase your car, they would point to your Contract (MVPA) and the liquidated damages clause and say you own them $2,500.

• Disagree
Reactions: mrwuffles
I just got off the phone with a wonderful lady in the sales dept. at Tesla. She immediately knew about the LR RWD with white interior problem and she also knew one of the people who actually worked on the email that we all got. She connected with him and he was able to switch me right away to an AWD LR with white interior and he kept all the other options my original order had. There was no charge for making the change to AWD even though it was not one of the two options the email offered. Not only that but she also got him to add Full Self Driving at the $3K price that I originally added from off-the-menu but which I never saw added on my order screen. And she said the car will be delivered before the end of the year (I live in Houston). She said I can expect to see the changes on my order screen on Monday.

After all the difficulties I had dealing with 3 other people there at Tesla these past 2 days, this lady was on a whole other level of competence and efficiency!

Will check here Monday for your update that this didn't materialize.

Are you able to share your MVPA or screenshot with this adjustment?

I also agree, my wife and I really wanted the longer range of the LR RWD, but she was also really insistent on the white interior. If they're able to offer this, then I can probably get her to proceed...
For some of the other posts, I actually ordered a LR RWD and after white interiors were opened up to all configs, I asked if it could be added before seeking to add it. This whole ridiculous notion of 'off the menu' options is just dumb if they don't really want to support it.

• Informative
Well it appears it may finally be happening....
After some back and forth asking them to locate car matching my specs, I just got a VIN. Was concerned with Tesla making me switch from white interior to black my delivery would be delayed. Asked them to look for a car for me and they found one in the mid west. Not the highest VIN (109xxx) but car has 30 miles on it and id rather try for it now in case I have issues.

Model 3 LR RWD
Blue Metallic
Premium Black Interior
19” Sport
EAP

Order Date: 10/22/2018
Revised to LR: 10/22/2018
VIN Received: 12/01/2018
Delivery Date: December 15th (although yet to be confirmed w delivery center)
VIN: 109XXX

Fingers crossed.

Just so I understand... you were able to get a LR AWD for the same price as a LR RWD?

Reactions: neroden and Heecct
No, I paid the normal price to upgrade from RWD to AWD. I didn't really want AWD (heavier car, another motor to worry about breaking down, less range than RWD (310 vs. 334), higher price, don't need AWD here in Houston) but it was the only way I could get white interior with LR battery :(