Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not so sure Tesla can make something that’s significantly more efficient than what’s already on the market. I replaced my natural gas heating with a geothermic heat pump 8 years ago (even before I bought my first Tesla). This kind of heat pump have a COP of 5, meaning for every kWh of electricity they deliver 5 kWh of heat. That’s probably already very close to what’s thermodynamically possible. You can even cool the house (not in my case because I didn’t want to replace my radiators) semi-passively (basically just needing energy for circulating water and glycol).

My understanding is Tesla's business case with home heating/air conditioning/refrigeration/water heating is largely based on increasing overall home efficiency by integrating the systems and also increasing the speed of adoption by driving down costs and making system design and availability easier. Kind of a one-stop solution for design, purchase and installation.

For example, currently the refrigerator/freezer pumps the heat from inside the appliance into the room. That's fine during the heating season as that waste heat goes to good use but during the cooling season, the air conditioner must now get rid of that heat at whatever functional efficiency level it operates at. So you are essentially paying to cool your food twice. Once to make the food cold and once to get that heat out of the house. If the condenser coils on the fridge/freezers could be mounted remotely, large gains in efficiency are possible. During the heating season, that heat could be used to increase the COP of the heat pump and allow the heat to be distributed anywhere desired in the home. Another example is in the winter the heat pump is blowing cold air outside and warm air inside. Some of the heat used to heat rooms could be pulled from inside the refrigerator. Sometimes efficiency isn't absolute, it's whether the energy (heat/cold) is distributed where and when it is wanted or unwanted.

Similar examples exist for heat pump water heaters. I think all of these appliances could have common refrigerant lines with computer-controlled valves being used to intelligently manage hot/cold through the house most efficiently. The efficiency of heat pumps is heavily dependent upon the temperature differentials that exist and that need to exist. By integrating the systems, they can operate at peak efficiency as a system much better than they can as individual stand-alone units. This matters when you need to be able to run the system off batteries and you don't want to have to buy more batteries than necessary. Expensive, inefficient ductwork will be eliminated in favor of heat exchangers/air cleaners in every area of the home. It may even make sense to have a solar heated exchanger on the roof to increase system efficiency. The system will be modular making design for different, structures, climates and sites easy. The volume of sales will drive down costs and disrupt billions of dollars of sales of conventional water heaters, refrigerators, freezers, and home HVAC systems. Appliance dealers and home HVAC are ripe for massive disruption.

Elon has a habit on focusing his sights on those parts of the economy in which people spend most of their money. And a large component of the cost of those segments is represented by energy. Even a large portion of the cost of food is energy, whether it's the energy to transport the food, make the fertilizer, till the fields, harvest the wheat, pump the water, keep it refrigerated, even the labor to harvest it has a large energy component as the workers need to get to where the crops need harvesting. That's why energy is so important to the economy. And Elon is focusing on being the master of energy, not only production and consumption, but also storage. This is why Tesla is so under-valued even at prices that seem somewhat rich to many. You cannot estimate the ultimate eventual value, the maximum future value of TSLA, by looking at the size of the automotive market. Not the current size and not the future size.

And of course, there were 10 Apollo launches before the ONE. But ya, I saw the landing with it's hair-raising last minute save by Armstrong, at home, in glorious black and white.

Indeed, after the Apollo 1 capsule fire disaster, Missions 2 + 3 were cancelled pending the accident investigation. Apollo 4, 5, and 6 were unmanned missions, then Apollo 7-10 demonstrated a progressive series of capabilities on the path to the first lunar landing.

Personally, I only have distinct memories of Apollo 8 (Earthrise!) and Apollo 11 in that sequence (the lesser known manned missions weren't widely celebrated in the media, although certainly would have made the news on the day). I did skip school in Nov 1969 to watch the Apollo 12 landing, only to find out our Principal called an assembly in the gym where all the kids watched the landing on one little B&W TV. Apollo 13 was high drama, and impressed me most of all.

Overall a remarkable, inspirational time in a boy's life, and the reason I switched from wanting to be a 'fireman' to wanting to be an 'astronaut' when I grew up.

Still waiting (to grow up, that is). ;)

Cheers!

Starting in 2020, the life expectancy in the US, at least, has dropped by 1.8 years. 2021 is likely to be even a worse drop.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Hmmm I never said it affects my peace of mind and like any sane person, investing should never affect your quality of life (unless you're actually betting your life savings on gambling.....cough I mean options)

But I'm sure as hell not going to be "ok" with it blatantly happening. Let me have my right to be a grumpy old man if I want to be (I'm just 37) ;)

Grumpy old man time - TSLA down 3X the QQQ's yesterday and barely above it today. Yay :rolleyes:

Haha, appreciate you POV on this topic. Lol, trying to remember at what point did they stopped calling me "angry young man" and started calling me "grumpy old man"? Ha, it was DEFINATELY during my army years. :p

Here's my point: If self-respect, self-determination, and self-reliance have any value to an individual, that person MUST act with the courage of their convictions.

To do less is hypocrisy of the highest order, sleeping soundly in your bed while rough men stand watch through the night.

And, of course, Germany has the social/economic/political weight of the reunified former East to contend with. Several Germans I know believe it will take generation(s) to educate and move beyond the combination.

OTG Direct:

Yeah, no kidding right? One time while I was travelling back in the mid-90s (about 5 yrs after reunification), I met a German (also traveling) who grew up in the East. He said he only believed in maybe 4 of the 10 Commandments, but I couldn't get him to commit to which ones!

Generations at least if he passes these values on to his offspring...

Personally I'm more like Phil Conners (you know, 75-80%) :p

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: UltradoomY
OTG Direct:

Yeah, no kidding right? One time while I was travelling back in the mid-90s (about 5 yrs after reunification), I met a German (also traveling) who grew up in the East. He said he only believed in maybe 4 of the 10 Commandments, but I couldn't get him to commit to which ones!

Generations at least if he passes these values on to his offspring...

Personally I'm more like Phil Conners (you know, 75-80%) :p

Cheers!
I had a feeling I would see one your posts in here for today;). Keep up the good work.

Since some on the main thread asked, and the topic is OT, I'll repost it here for what it's worth.

The facts of the Ukrainian conflict. There is an ongoing war in Ukraine between Russia and Ukraine that started in 2014 after Russia annexed and occupied parts of Ukraine, the war has amounted to almost daily casualties totalling some 14 000. At the moment the question is if Russia will escalate this war to an all out invasion of Ukraine by Russia. The international community is trying to help Ukraine scare Russia off of this plan with threats of severe diplomatic and economic sanctions and defensive arms shipments to Ukraine.

It is regrettable to see some people fall for Russian talking points that it's the West that is doing the war mongering when the facts are plainly the opposite. Unfortunately it is also the media in the West that tends to over inflate and misrepresent the situation and thus people come to conclusions that the US/NATO/the West is somehow war mongering and itching for a fight with their own troops. This is plainly false. It's the Ukrainians that have been fighting the war defending their country and will do so in the event of escalation by Russia.

A well presented and comprehensive video on the subject -

An earthlike planet with H2O orbiting Proxima Centauri using EXPRESSO. " ESPRESSO can measure the wavelength of spectral lines with a precision of 10−5 ångströms, or one-ten-thousandth of the diameter of a hydrogen atom,"
This is in the theme of Science Fiction to travel there. Maybe Elon's offspring can work on this. Might need a wormhole or Spice to get there.

This is so gratifying. Generous individuals like Jared Isaacman and Elon Musk, (those billionaires that some jealous people love to hate) continue to do positive actions for humanity. These are not politicians. Thank you gentlemen for the love you spread.