Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a difficulty with built in storage would be that it couldn't necessarily be removed to connect to your laptop, where you'd want to get the files to email/keep/upload to youtube, etc. If you left it built in and used the internal internet, that's theoretically a lot of extra data to be used. Or, alternatively, you'd have to wait until you had WIFI to get the files.

I like the current model of having a removable USB, but I dislike the fact that everyone knows where that USB is.
The car has built in wifi. That allows for wifi direct connections if the software permits it.

I'm thinking of having your phone connect directly to the in car wifi.

Eh... I'm not certain that'd be a good idea at all. Remember when built in wifi was the rage for the hottest new cars, 2015-ish? But then a Jeep Cheroke got hacked into, and someone else took control over the vehicle. Then, suddenly, built in wifi lost it's appeal.

It's safest to have a physical connection point, it's easiest for that if it's just a removable USB.

I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

This is why when I get my Tesla, I'll either wire in a hidden USP port to the existing ones, or I'll get a false backed USB to fit over the existing ones. Likely with a false USB stick to deter searching. I mean, criminals are dumb, but at least some of them watch the news and see the "Tesla Sentry mode captures criminal in action!" articles.

Found a useful youtube about this. Now if there's some tutorial about removing the trim...

Found a useful youtube about this. Now if there's some tutorial about removing the trim...

That's one way of doing it. I was thinking more towards actually wiring in the relocation USB cord for mine. That way I'd still have the two pugs for other things, and it'd not look like I had any USB there.

Is the glove box not able to be opened unless the car is on, or something?

That's one way of doing it. I was thinking more towards actually wiring in the relocation USB cord for mine. That way I'd still have the two pugs for other things, and it'd not look like I had any USB there.

Is the glove box not able to be opened unless the car is on, or something?

A crowbar can still open it.

But I think the thieves are catching on to the fact that there's usually a usb key there worth 10~20 bucks and will just smash the windows for it without looking.

Apparently. +$6 on no news? Perhaps the Walmart thing is already proved to be nonsense?

Of course the WM thing is nonsense. They're cheapskates trying to get out of an unprofitable contract.

But it's probably rumor that's causing the drive, the rumor that VW may be looking to offer to buy Tesla. It'll never happen, but still kind of squishes the bear FUD around about how Tesla is failing of the conglomorate company that is VW wants them.

Privacy screen is being used as an analogous surface type to illustrate how it works in terms of gathering enough solar energy without appearing completely black from the sidewalk. Understanding how the product works is absolutely on topic(even if it’s already well known to some of us).

If it is well known, may I ask about the efficiency?

Even the darker conventional roofs have at least 20% reflectivity. A good (smooth) glass on the solar panel has 2-5%. Specially treated glasses (perfectly flat surface) reach 99% efficiency.

I just checked back and the "scientists" were wrong when they said Elon's plans are impossible. Because they thought it will deliver the efficiency of current products on the market. However Elon never mentions EFFICIENCY in that SolarCity presentation.

The privacy screen analogy is flawed in many points.
- panels don't face the sun all the time (maybe in the future with some rotating minicells)
- reduced efficiency in cloudy weather compared to conventional solar panels
- privacy screen supposed to transfer the light that enters near the right angle. however a conventional looking thing will scatter some portion of this incident beam, so not all of the light will enter but bounce at a different angle and hits the observer's eye

This latter is what @KarenRei misses greatly in that analogy. The appearance of a roof is determined by how it scatters the main (sun) light beam. The reflection that comes from the background light is negligible compared to the main light source.

The only way conventional looking solar tiles are possible if the cell efficiency is increased greatly. Right now it's about 22%.

On conventional solar panels ~5% of the incoming light (at right angle) will get reflected or lost, remaining 95% will be utilized at 22% efficiency.
If the cell efficiency would be increased to above 30% (which already exists in labs but not in production for low price) then there is at least a theoretical possibility of having a conventional looking dark solar roof that brings the current 22% efficiency.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
That seems really high because medium grey only has 18% reflectivity. A darker roof should have less than that.

standard black surface has 5% reflectivity. That is the minimum.

Chart of SRI Values | Berridge Manufacturing Co.

found some darker ones:

Table%2B-%2BSolar%2BPerformance%2Bof%2BRoofing%2BMaterials%2B%2528850%2529.jpg

Tesla-solar-roof-patent-illustration-889x658.jpg
If it is well known, may I ask about the efficiency?

Even the darker conventional roofs have at least 20% reflectivity. A good (smooth) glass on the solar panel has 2-5%. Specially treated glasses (perfectly flat surface) reach 99% efficiency.

I just checked back and the "scientists" were wrong when they said Elon's plans are impossible. Because they thought it will deliver the efficiency of current products on the market. However Elon never mentions EFFICIENCY in that SolarCity presentation.

The privacy screen analogy is flawed in many points.
- panels don't face the sun all the time (maybe in the future with some rotating minicells)
- reduced efficiency in cloudy weather compared to conventional solar panels
- privacy screen supposed to transfer the light that enters near the right angle. however a conventional looking thing will scatter some portion of this incident beam, so not all of the light will enter but bounce at a different angle and hits the observer's eye

This latter is what @KarenRei misses greatly in that analogy. The appearance of a roof is determined by how it scatters the main (sun) light beam. The reflection that comes from the background light is negligible compared to the main light source.

The only way conventional looking solar tiles are possible if the cell efficiency is increased greatly. Right now it's about 22%.

On conventional solar panels ~5% of the incoming light (at right angle) will get reflected or lost, remaining 95% will be utilized at 22% efficiency.
If the cell efficiency would be increased to above 30% (which already exists in labs but not in production for low price) then there is at least a theoretical possibility of having a conventional looking dark solar roof that brings the current 22% efficiency.

See here for the efficiency of the earlier models and the expected efficiency of the final product.Tesla Ramping Up Production Of V3 Solar Roof Tiles To 1,000 Systems/Week By End Of 2019 | CleanTechnica It is a louver style filter so most of the light from the sun during peak hours is not being reflected. Your argument about 100% transmittance implying 0% reflectivity might be true if it was a uniform filter like window tint but that is not the case with this film. What you might see from the street, can be reflected light from other sources besides the sun as a point source. There are light sources from all angles mostly reflecting off other surfaces in our environment.

View attachment 446689

See here for the efficiency of the earlier models and the expected efficiency of the final product.Tesla Ramping Up Production Of V3 Solar Roof Tiles To 1,000 Systems/Week By End Of 2019 | CleanTechnica It is a louver style filter so most of the light from the sun during peak hours is not being reflected. Your argument about 100% transmittance implying 0% reflectivity might be true if it was a uniform filter like window tint but that is not the case with this film. What you might see from the street, can be reflected light from other sources besides the sun as a point source. There are light sources from all angles mostly reflecting off other surfaces in our environment.

Welll, this went off topic.

"There are light sources from all angles mostly reflecting off other surfaces in our environment."
Yes, I called it background light, but it's not the most descriptive name for sure.

In theory if we have a solar tile like that (absorbs any beam that has an angle of 90 degree or similar but from any other angle the roof looks like normal) that would look exactly like the shady parts of a normal roof on a sunny day. Quite dark. May look better on a cloudy day.