Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Offer for extended test drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an odd request. For all Model S owners in and around Atlanta, GA, I would like to see if can take your Model S for an extended test drive? I am willing to pay for your time and miles added to your car. I'm doing this for couple of reasons and the regular test drives given by Tesla really doesn't do it for me. First of all, I was a reservation holder and even got to the point where Tesla requested my final design but at the last minute cancelled it. I did this because of range anxiety and lack of service center (at that time, there wasn't one). You see, I drive about 165 actual miles per day going about 80 to 90 mph and with no place to recharge long enough. Taking my kid to school and picking her up and with my work I travel quite a bit. From all the posts and from what I read Model S should be able to do it. However, I'm skeptical. However, I am looking at another to purchase and I never lost hope with Model S. hence is the reason of this offer to put to rest my skepticism. I am willing to offer $100 for the first hour for the persons time and $100 for every hour after (meaning if it goes even one minute over I will give $100) and $2 per mile put in your car for the drive. I am not going to drive the full 165 miles I do daily but would like to do a minimum between 50 to 70 miles. I suspect this should take about a hour to hour and half. Therefore, if my calculations are correct the minimum for anyone will be $200. If anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected].

I have driven that distance many times in a single day, without recharging. Going 90 you will probably make it, but use almost all the battery. Going 80 it should be no problem. Assuming you are getting the 85kWh pack. You NEED the 85kWh pack if you want to drive like that.

Last Wednesday I drove 140 miles. About 60% was interstate at ~80mph. And I started at a 80% charge, and I had 35 miles left at the end of the day.

In the winter you will be a little bit closer, but I don't see any problems with your driving.

ElSupreme... Thanks for your input. It helps ease my skeptism. Of course, I still would like to take someone's Model S for an extended drive. Im saying this because I'm not the most economical driver in the world. In other words, someone that can do a distance in 30 mpg I will probably do it in 18 mpg. The only reason why I'm comtiplating a Model S it is first non-compromising electric vehicle, but I need to make sure for myself.

I have an off site work location that is 115 miles away one way and I have made that drive a number of times with my 85. I have had no issues but with that being said the speed limit in MD and VA is 65 mph and I am a 10 over kind of guy. 80-90 mph in VA or MD will get you a wreckless ticket.

Also, I made the trip with no range anxiety and I got home with no less that 30 miles of range left every time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Goosh, if you google 'Rent a Model S' you'll find a number available. Unfortunately, none are in your neighborhood. Most are in California, but there is one in Detroit.

(I can't speak for others, but I'd be uncomfortable renting/loaning my personal car for someone to use for an extended period of time.)

Good luck!

Bonnie1194... By no means am I asking anyone to hand over their keys and I go on my own. I wouldn't do that and I don't expect anyone in their right mind to do the same. Hence is the reason of why I gave my offer. Plus, if anything were to happen while the test drive my insurance company will take care of it or I will if they don't.

- - - Updated - - -

So true. Actually, I think even going at 80 nowadays is slow in and around Atlanta. I drive a Porsche and go between 80 and 90 and I still a ton of cars flying passed me if I was standing still.