Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Office Manager for Ford store and an independent dealership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My uncle was a "car guy" growing up. He sold Jags, Rovers, MGs, BMW, VW, Mercedes and others over the years. I got to drive a lot of really cool cars as a kid. As an adult, I spent several years handling the paperwork -- payments, titles, loan documentation, Dealership paperwork with Ford and others -- and a lot of the comments, complaints, gripes, etc., are the same as the ones I heard then.

You are buying a car. It may have special features (most buyers of new cars think there is something special about their choice. Most of the rest don't give a damn about it. It's just a vehicle for a purpose for them.). It may remind you of...; it may mean something else...; and on.

A lot of new cars have something that needs to be "fixed" when they arrive. A loose connection may be really, really inconvenient when the motor(s) stop on the middle of a bridge, say, but it's one lose connection. Nails in the tire? not the car's fault.

We ordered our Model 3 on 4/2/2016, RN108863306. I was contacted June 27th of this year and told that I could place my order, which I did, for AWD (large battery, since that's the only choice), LR and self drive, in blue, standard rims. We are buying three things: a nice car -- which it is. Maybe expensive, but a nice car -- with (2) electric drive because it's so much easier to maintain over time. Lots fewer moving parts, much easier to keep on the road, at least in theory. Third, we bought what we believe are the most advanced electronic countermeasures and electornic co-pilot features, from a firm that seems by all accounts to understand that these electronic features are not just "add-ons" like crome exhaust extensions, but integral and important features for safer and more useful vehicles. We are both looking forward to driving it. I'm going to be 76 this year, my wife is 70. We are looking for all the help we can get.

Tesla sent me a notice originally that the vehicle would be available about 30 miles from us in NJ, sometime between the end of September and the end of November. The update, after I sent them my $2,500, was for delivery the week of September 4th. Financing yet to be decided, but Tesla wanted 3.59%, I believe it was, for 6 years with 10% down. Local credit union is not crisp about their reply.

Vin is 5YJ3E1EB7JF054798. Looking forward to picking it up in less than three weeks.

OOps. Not clear, I guess. We placed our Reservation in 2016; when they first asked us to spec vehicles, I had spec'd an AWD -- daughters live in Vermont and NH, and even thought we had lived there for years and consider ourselves decent drivers in snow and on ice, we wanted AWD as we aged. We knew the AWD would come later, but we have not been in a hurry. The June 27th date is the date I sent in our non-refundable deposit. I figure until then, we don't really have "an order" but that may not be the correct and approved Tesla term. Been wrong before.

You are correct. Only when you choose your options - AWD, color etc - and pay your non-refundable deposit your order then goes into the scheduling queue for manufacturing. That is more than 3 months from order to delivery for AWD even with the increased rate of 5 to 6k M3 production per week.

Which means their combined order queue for RWD and AWD is quite high.

I'm getting the feeling that RWD orders are being fulfilled quickly, within 1-2 weeks of order, from anectodal posts here and from friends of friends who are getting the car.

I have yet to see many (any?) posts from AWD non-P orders being delivered. I think P orders are the priority now. I reserved 4/2016, ordered 7/23. I also have the same delivery estimate: 9-11/2018. Obviously, I'm a MX owner. Not sure if that affects my position for M3 delivery...