Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Foundation Series Dual Motor Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I:

1. Pay off my current car and wait 2-3 weeks to receive my title in the mail?

Or

2. Trade in with a remaining balance?

Stressing I may run into an issue where I get a delivery date this month but won’t have my title in hand to complete the trade in, but also it’s just a hope I get a delivery date this month lol.

Ordered 12/9, delivery window was Dec-Mar

Anyone else having second thoughts due to the range and charging curve? Our long term plan was Cybetruck and Roadster. The Cybertruck would be our road trip cruiser. I had figured that the Cybertruck would be a step change in range and charge curve but, here we are. Obviously like you all I really really want it now but I can't help wondering if in a year or whatever will they have next gen batteries in it. Or perhaps they'll simply update the charge curve with software and actual V4s will start rolling out. I put a deposit on the range extender. We're just going to have bikes, skis, and stuff like that in the rear so I'm alright losing a little space. Also, the solar stuff was seen in the software backend and yet there's been zero talk of it. I want solar on it. I want a lightbar on it. But, if I say no to this we could be looking at another year...or two! If I got the VIN today I'd still rush to make the final payment and setup insurance but I got to say I am definitely not feeling 100% in as I was a few weeks ago. :/

Should I:

Or

Stressing I may run into an issue where I get a delivery date this month but won’t have my title in hand to complete the trade in, but also it’s just a hope I get a delivery date this month lol.

I’d pay off. Having title is so much simpler. But I guess Tesla deals with the back office stuff so maybe for you it’s not a huge deal. But nicer to fully own and just hand over title.

Reactions: ZKOE247
Anyone else having second thoughts due to the range and charging curve? Our long term plan was Cybetruck and Roadster. The Cybertruck would be our road trip cruiser. I had figured that the Cybertruck would be a step change in range and charge curve but, here we are. Obviously like you all I really really want it now but I can't help wondering if in a year or whatever will they have next gen batteries in it. Or perhaps they'll simply update the charge curve with software and actual V4s will start rolling out. I put a deposit on the range extender. We're just going to have bikes, skis, and stuff like that in the rear so I'm alright losing a little space. Also, the solar stuff was seen in the software backend and yet there's been zero talk of it. I want solar on it. I want a lightbar on it. But, if I say no to this we could be looking at another year...or two! If I got the VIN today I'd still rush to make the final payment and setup insurance but I got to say I am definitely not feeling 100% in as I was a few weeks ago. :/
Did you pay $250 or $1k? I paid 1k so I’m less likely to bail. I’m an idiot.

Should I:

Or

Honestly, it may be better to just sell to one of the resellers like CarMax and get cash in hand. You may even get a better offer.

But in section 2.3.5 of Murphy's law, whatever you do for something will always be the thing that you shouldn't have done afterwards.

Reactions: ZKOE247
Not at all. The BS that initially appeared is being updated and the current number of around 250 in colder weather pretty well start to represent reality.
If you are road tripping , you'll have no problem with Superchargers on major routes.

The will be working to make the range better, but that will be in software. They will be working to make the charging better, and tat's in software as well. V4 at 800V (not all are) should also make a difference.

I just finished tracelling over 2500 miles in December. The ONLY problem that I had (aside from the new routing software has become buggy about charging) is choosing the most desirable Supercharger to eat at. During large portions of the trip, I would only use every third or fourth Supercharger along the route.

Reactions: capster
The will be working to make the range better, but that will be in software. They will be working to make the charging better, and tat's in software as well.
how do you know they will make the range better? The cars drag coefficient isn't great, and the battery is relatively small...i think within confines of physics, it's natural that the CT won't be matching up to a Rivian in range anytime soon.

Not at all. The BS that initially appeared is being updated and the current number of around 250 in colder weather pretty well start to represent reality.
If you are road tripping , you'll have no problem with Superchargers on major routes.
That 250 number was going from 100% all the way to driving many miles at 0%. While it is useful information it's in line with other poor numbers. I don't expect my wife to drive many miles at 0.

FWIW I've owned Teslas for a long while and road trip a lot. The Model 3 is a phenomenal road trip car. My concern is that I was expecting the Cybertruck to be an even better one. Yes, there are superchargers everywhere but they are not V4 and the time to charge to a reasonable amount appears to be ~double what it would take with my 3.

how do you know they will make the range better? The cars drag coefficient isn't great, and the battery is relatively small...i think within confines of physics, it's natural that the CT won't be matching up to a Rivian in range anytime soon.

Sure the battery is small, it's only just about twice as big as the ones in my cars today!

The hardware people have had the truck up to now. Yes, at Tesla, hardware and software work very close, as well as manufacturing now.
But now it's in software's hands. They'll run it on the dynamos at the labs, they'll be capturing customer data. They'll look and analyze the data and they'll tweak more out of it. They already indicting that they are expecting to delivery EPA combined 500 with the extended range batter. So that's maybe 60 more miles, 40 off the main battery. That's a lot.

Who know how well they've tweaked it for the current numbers. Did they just get it "good enough" for now.

I will tell you that in most of the other models, they've found 30 miles here or 40 horsepower there. Once they get a few million miles under their belt, they can do miracles.

Take a look at these https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sandy+munro+cybertruck+
Sandy was initially a Tesla doubter. He'd been in the business too long to believe that Tesla could do what they were promising. You may notice a different inflection in his voice about Tesla today.
I believe that it's the deep dive where the Tesla team talks about still striving for the 500 miles.

That 250 number was going from 100% all the way to driving many miles at 0%. While it is useful information it's in line with other poor numbers. I don't expect my wife to drive many miles at 0.

FWIW I've owned Teslas for a long while and road trip a lot. The Model 3 is a phenomenal road trip car. My concern is that I was expecting the Cybertruck to be an even better one. Yes, there are superchargers everywhere but they are not V4 and the time to charge to a reasonable amount appears to be ~double what it would take with my 3.
I think that the range is going to end up being extremely similar to the Model 3 or Model Y. I'm guessing that it may show about 100 watts per mile more. EPA numbers on a Model Y use 240 watts per mile, I believe.
So that will be a little over 30% more charge needed.

Now, seasoned Tesla road trippers know that coming into a Supercharger with a VERY low state of battery is the best way to do it. It will be even more important to do it on the Cybertruck. That gives the most time charging at the fastest numbers.

For other on the thread. Once the current Teslas hit about 35%, they are dropped to about 150 kWh and 100 kWh at 50%. (and please never charge to 100% at a Supercharger) The Cybertruck numbers don't seem so far away from that.

That will be yet another tuning item that the software team will work on, and I dare say that there will be great gains there. I also have a feeling that there may be a bug or a purposely set limit on the current software to keep it at Model Y levels, until they can get some more data.
The other is the 800V chargers that don't exist yet.

And remember, these are ALL employee (or influencer loans) vehicles so far. Tesla screws with employees cars all the time. Someone said that their truck had V12 software in it, which indeed is in testing in employee vehicles now.

So I expect as-is will be = Model Y.
Range extender will be the differentiator.

The road trip limiting factor is the spacing of the superchargers, not necessarily the maximum range at 70-80 mph. Realistically, you are stopping to charge every 2-3 hours. Even if an F150 Lightning or some other vehicle had more road trip range on paper, non Tesla charging network is patchy at best and unreliable garbage at worst, so their actual road trip capability is far worse as of now. The charging port is in the wrong location to work with older chargers well, even when they get An adapter later.

IMG_4984.jpeg

Reactions: phantasms