Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Foundation Series Reservation Holder Reveals Cost Of $120,000: Only 1,000 Will Ever Be Made

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all due respect, the numerous anecdotal experiences are not a confirmation. It is unfortunate for those who were leaning towards purchasing not to have had enough time to make the decision, but so long as there is a non-zero number of contrary anecdotes, i.e., people still being able to order, I would say that the Foundation Series had not yet sold out.
I agree with this statement!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
1) Many years from now a low production number car will be more valuable....but for me, when buying new, 2) I would prefer it when the production process has got into its stride and all the kinks ironed out

Except for a VERY few, the "limited edition" and "founder's editions" vehicles have seldom panned out on holding up values. So to this extend, I disagree with you on 1).

I do agree with you on item 2), As evident my 2 teslas are 4 years apart. While the 2019 M3 looks similar to the 2023 MY, the Build, Feel, and Touch of the hardware/software is similar to that of a Laptop or Smartphone in the same 4 yrs difference.

As such, my solution to item 2) is the same as my Smart Phone and Laptop. Replace it after 18 months...

The days of keeping that "Honda Civic/Toyota Camary" for 18 years "'till the wheels fell off.." are GONE!! Its the reality...

Reactions: T3SLAROD and jebinc
Except for a VERY few, the "limited edition" and "founder's editions" vehicles have seldom panned out on holding up values. So to this extend, I disagree with you on 1).

I do agree with you on item 2), As evident my 2 teslas are 4 years apart. While the 2019 M3 looks similar to the 2023 MY, the Build, Feel, and Touch of the hardware/software is similar to that of a Laptop or Smartphone in the same 4 yrs difference.

As such, my solution to item 2) is the same as my Smart Phone and Laptop. Replace it after 18 months...

The days of keeping that "Honda Civic/Toyota Camary" for 18 years "'till the wheels fell off.." are GONE!! Its the reality...
Yeah, my many Hondas and Subarus were bullet proof, reliability/dependability wise.

I have a different therory... Please try to poke holes in my theory..

- Tesla sends out an invite weekly at Friday 7:30 PM PST (please adj to your local time).
- A follow-up residual weekly invite is sent on Sunday evening (again at or around 7:30 PM PST).
- People who received the email invite can configure the Foundation order that week.
- A system glitch occurred (this week) that allowed for EVERYONE (within certain range criteria) to place an order, but was not supposed to. This is why you read some people who did not get the email but checked their accounts and were able to proceed to order.
- The glitch was reported and rectified, which is why you can no longer order (it went away).

Your thoughts..

beewang

Yes, your hypothesis that "The Foundation series isn't "Sold-out" per se, in fact, Tesla intends to continue with the weekly release of limited order spots for the entire 2024." is entirely consistent with the overall thrust of what I see Tesla is doing here: use the market for price discovery, while explicitly charging the high WTP buyers more. (I'm agnostic on the question of the total number of Foundation series vehicles, or how long Tesla will maintain the program to capture higher profit on the early sales.)

Moreover, as you suggested, they are endeavoring to capture what would otherwise be "consumer surplus." The consumers naturally will try, as Adam Smith pointed out, to "truck, barter and exchange" to collect that surplus. Tesla is actively undertaking means to limit that (resale limits, price discrimination in early sales, buyback contracts, etc.)

This is pretty normal behavior for a company; but Tesla is executing it very well.

After all, one of Musk's two undergrad degrees was economics. :cool:

Reactions: beewang
But aren’t things for him getting worse with X, and not better, financially speaking?
I dunno... Are they?? X is a privately held company, so unless we are an insider or a stakeholder of the company, it is none of our business.

To be clear, I am not part of the Elon Musk cult. I am many things.. and especially a racer and a car guy. I happen to really like the performance of the tesla cars and have had a vested interest in the Financial Performance of TSLA since 2014.

I don't own an equity interest in Musk the guy, SpaceX, or anything else related to Musk (other than TSLA).
I think he is autistic and like everyone in this world, has his own attitudes, opinions, and pet peeves.
I DO think he is a proven winner like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers. Having the qualities and intangible of a winner, despite losing 28-3 at Halftime in Superbowl LI

or

I will say that based on Musk's track record, betting against him and his endeavors is probably a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents worth,

beewang

To be a little bit fair, though, :)

It does include "premium accessories, charging equipment with PowerHome backup, All Terrain tires, FSD capability and more"...

They're basically starting with the Beast mode truck price and then adding in all the extra stuff...Like I've always been saying, fully loaded trim will be sold first...
What is FSD capability mean? That FSD software is included? All new teslas come FSD capable…

Reactions: jebinc
Just got my 2nd invite to configure. Was hoping this was for the non-founder edition but no luck. So they sent it to me, I didn't act, it went away, and now back a week or so later.

If they are really only making 1000 founder's editions then there must not be many takers. I figured there were enough orders in CA and TX to eat up that first 1K.

Just got my 2nd invite to configure. Was hoping this was for the non-founder edition but no luck. So they sent it to me, I didn't act, it went away, and now back a week or so later.

If they are really only making 1000 founder's editions then there must not be many takers. I figured there were enough orders in CA and TX to eat up that first 1K.
Hopefully you stick with your resolve and not fold under their playing on the FoMo affect by issuing that “last chance, once in a lifetime” Founder’s configuration.