Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh boy, there is going to be some learning curve for model 3 owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PreviewInstanceData

My S acts the way you are discussing here - even if the key isn't anywhere in sight, I can unlock the charge port door with the button on the charger handle. My X does not act the same way. My X needs to be unlocked or the charge port door will not open. I often have to use my phone in the garage so that I can plug the X in, and never have to do so for the S.

Maybe it's a specific issue for my car, but I know @K-MTG also has an X so that could be the source of his claim as well.
I have to unlock my late 2015 S before I can open the charge port, either by walking close enough to the driver door to activate auto-present or press the back door handle to get it to present.

That looks like the sort of person who can't be helped, unfortunately.

I am guessing this supercharger is prime parking?

I don't advocate this, but you could have plugged him in, gotten him some idle fees. :p
My first reaction was I wouldn't do it, but then thinking about it, why not? If someone parks at a supercharger spot without charging, they should pay the idle fee. It's not like you're towing them away (that only the property owner could do). It would probably only take paying idle fees once and the owner would stop doing it, not because they would get any more considerate, but simply because they would become away that supercharger spots can be quite expensive to park in. Even if the car does end up charging until the owner comes back, they will still lose some of their free credits (something they were probably trying to avoid by not plugging in).

I believe that if you press the charging handle button the charge indicator light will flash if the car is still charging.
I think it is probably a bad idea to touch someone's $150,000 car.

This has been discussed extensively in other threads. Do some testing for yourself. What I believe it does is interrupt the charge, then start it again. This sends a notification to the owner who will probably think someone is trying to steal their car. So they will come running, definitely upset and possibly armed, to rescue their violated prized possession.

Meanwhile, the green light will probably start blinking again because you just restarted the charge. So nothing accomplished.

I think it is probably a bad idea to touch someone's $150,000 car.

This has been discussed extensively in other threads. Do some testing for yourself. What I believe it does is interrupt the charge, then start it again. This sends a notification to the owner who will probably think someone is trying to steal their car. So they will come running, definitely upset and possibly armed, to rescue their violated prized possession.

Meanwhile, the green light will probably start blinking again because you just restarted the charge. So nothing accomplished.

I was somewhat wrong about this. Briefly pressing the charge handle button does cause the light to come on showing state of charge and does not (I think) send a notification to the owner. Pressing and holding the charge handle button as if wanting to remove the handle brings about the notification and restarting the charge that I had experienced.

I still wouldn't touch someone else's car. Golden Rule thing, I guess.
tumblr_lzwm2hkmgx1qhkwbs-1.gif

Pressing and holding the charge handle button as if wanting to remove the handle brings about the notification and restarting the charge that I had experienced.

But what that also does if there is someone charging on the paired stall, it will give the other car charging priority if the first car was sucking the majority of the juice.

Reactions: BerTX and ohmman
If you've ever charged at Syosset, NY all the cars in the vicinity of the four charge stalls all have their ports open, I think the RF from the charging handle is super strong in those older model (original) stalls. And those cars are all locked.

I had noticed this on S's parked next to chargers in Syosset. Had not thought of why but now that you mention it................
4! stalls in such a populated area is way too few. But Tesla has some slated for 2017. Looks more like Tesla time and expected in 2018, hopefully :)

I had noticed this on S's parked next to chargers in Syosset. Had not thought of why but now that you mention it................
4! stalls in such a populated area is way too few. But Tesla has some slated for 2017. Looks more like Tesla time and expected in 2018, hopefully :)

Not only that, but every time I've been there, I see local people dropping their car off to charge and getting a ride "home".

Only on MS. Not on MX. No idea about M3.
Can't confirm what the documentation says, that the charge port will only open on model 3 when the car is unlocked. That's because I can't get the charge port to EVER open from the cable plug on my model 3. Locked or unlocked. I know it isn't a problem with the cable because it opens the model S every time. Have to open the charge door from the screen inside the model 3. Something for my next service visit...