Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also installed a set of RW Ohlins DFW Performance Sport Coilovers with their Tophats, Endlinks, Swaybars, Rear Camber and Toe arms about two weeks and 500 miles ago and I’m also getting noises.

I have the front dampers set 20 clicks from stiff and I get that dreaded spring noise entering and leaving driveways as well as when slowly accelerating when the steering wheel is full lock in either direction. I spoke to Heath from RW/Sakebomb who has been very responsive and he informed me that the coil springs need time to settle into the spring perchs.

I also just removed the rear dampers yesterday and sent them back to be checked due to how noisy they were. I was getting a rattling/jarring noise in the interior over any road imperfections. I threw the stock dampers back in and the car is silent in the rear.

With that said, this is more of fact finding post to see if anyone else has encountered anything similar and not a bash of the product or product support from RW that I’ve received. So far they’ve been great with helping me out even though we are on opposite coasts.
It was squeeky for a few weeks then it went away. I think you just need to give it some time to break in.

Reactions: Kwame
@Kwame i just installed Redwood Ohlins GT and there's clunking in front right going over bumps. We couldn't figure out at the installer what was going on and it was isolated to front. Did you figure out what happened and were you able to resolve the issue over time?

@Kwame i just installed Redwood Ohlins GT and there's clunking in front right going over bumps. We couldn't figure out at the installer what was going on and it was isolated to front. Did you figure out what happened and were you able to resolve the issue over time?

Probably your top shock nut not torqued correctly
In my case I spoke to Redwood and they informed me that the spring sound I heard slowly entering driveways and going over speed bumps was normal as the mating surfaces between the front spring and lower spring perch needed time to break-in. It did go away but oddly enough it just came back after about 5K miles. I’m going to pull off the wheels this weekend and inspect everything.

This thread is very helpful. Just picked up a 2023 MY LR, planning to get a set of Ohlins, These have always been my goto suspension components on all my cars. Running a setup on my EVO X. really looking forward to these on MY.

EOS R5_0119 CROP 2.png

I recently received my order from Redwood Motorsports for the Redwood Ohlins GT kit for my '21MY LR. A buddy and I installed them in his garage. Took about 5.5 hours including adjusting ride height on the rears. I kept it stock ride height. Currently at 24 clicks from hard on the front and 26 clicks in the rear.
The difference ride quality is absolutely incredible. I've had a couple of BMW's (3 series) in the past and I feel this set-up has a more planted feel and at the same time the compliance at street and highway speeds is as good if not better.
Of course, not the cheapest option available. I still would do it again, and wish I would have done it when I originally got the MY. Soon I will get a new set of tires and alignment and it'll be a completely different car.

I recently received my order from Redwood Motorsports for the Redwood Ohlins GT kit for my '21MY LR. A buddy and I installed them in his garage. Took about 5.5 hours including adjusting ride height on the rears. I kept it stock ride height. Currently at 24 clicks from hard on the front and 26 clicks in the rear.
The difference ride quality is absolutely incredible. I've had a couple of BMW's (3 series) in the past and I feel this set-up has a more planted feel and at the same time the compliance at street and highway speeds is as good if not better.
Of course, not the cheapest option available. I still would do it again, and wish I would have done it when I originally got the MY. Soon I will get a new set of tires and alignment and it'll be a completely different car.
I'm excited for my set. I went a little more aggressive, may end up going on a softer adjustment compared to my Evo X. I'm looking forward to my wifes reaction, managed to show value of mitigating roll and a predictable suspension. All this in a MY 7 seater :D

I had my Ohlins installed last year and within a month or two I started hearing what sounded like bird chirps from the rear whenever going over uneven surfaces. (For a while , I legit thought it was birds) If I have the radio on, I don't hear it, but I can't unhear it with the radio off. Happens at both low speed and higher speeds, road noise tends to cancel it out somewhat at higher speeds.

At one point, I took it back to the shop that installed them and after about 2 hours of investigation, they couldn't find the source.

Anyone else have a similar experience or know what might be causing it?

I know an old thread I was getting tites if the springs making noises in my Redwood Motorsports Ohlins. I added OEM strut thrust washers to the front and rear of my MY this past weekend.

Car is quieter and better riding than ever before. I am now asking myself if I am going to keep my 20s with 255/45s or swap over to the 18 inch wheels I bought for it