Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 32 or 34 clicks. I actually went to 16 clicks in the front and 20 in the rear and it improved the ride quality (subjectively of course) I’d try out the middle of the range, you might be surprised
still playing around with mine. I had it at 16 front and back for a while, then finally went softest and slowly clicked it back every few days... I'm 9 back from the softest. if i hit the accelerator hard, how much should the nose come up? i was also looking if there was any rebound off of big speedbumps (not really). LA streets are terrible, so trying to find the comfiest ride but also dont' want something that wobbles (I didn't really get that at even the softest), but did like the tight feel of 16, hence playing around with it . But it' absolutely night and day and i'm so happy I spent the money on this. I also lowered 1/2"

I softened it up again, adjusted to 26 front and 26 rear... cant' decide if i like the "stiffer 16" setting or the 26 softer, but on some roads the softer setting gets a little oscillating bumpy if that makes sense. hard to drive the same route over and over to find the right setting. but on speed bumps even at 26 there's no rebound bounce. it goes over bumps, & settles immediately with no secondary.
How the does your GT coilovers handle when you have three or four people in the car? You mentioned bottoming when approaching steep driveways, was your car loaded with people or just you? Trying to balance out softer springs (GT version) for comfort vs firmer springs (Perf version) for improved loading capacity. I will have a hitch with two e-bikes in the back on occasion or passengers when going on hikes. Thanks.

How the does your GT coilovers handle when you have three or four people in the car? You mentioned bottoming when approaching steep driveways, was your car loaded with people or just you? Trying to balance out softer springs (GT version) for comfort vs firmer springs (Perf version) for improved loading capacity. I will have a hitch with two e-bikes in the back on occasion or passengers when going on hikes. Thanks.
I would go for firmer especialy if you will hauling heavy ebikes.. And counter to typical thinking stiffer springs doesn't always equate to poor handling/comfort. It really depends on the valving and whether it is matched to the spring rate well. And the Ohlins have a massive range and with its compression and rebound setup in a ratio and tied together, its really hard to get it wrong. With separate compression and rebound, users can get diverge the the two setting getting further from ideal.

Reactions: 06z_
Mine is lowered 1/2 inch and only if I'm going a but too fast on a driveway have I notice that hitting the bump stop. However, I've stiffened it up a little bit and I've not had the same problem. I called redwood and I think after talking to them I'm going to raise the car back up and not sacrifice the ride quality. Apparently The rear of the Tesla is designed differently than the front in terms of suspension. And I think lowering it doesn't give enough room for it to compress. I've loaded up five passengers in the back. I have the seven seater and haven't had an issue. I decided to start again and have adjusted the shocks to about 19 in the front and 24 in the rear. They said stiffer in the front by about 2 to 4 depending on the ride. Looking for makes the most sense and I definitely noticed a difference of about four makes a difference. I was going for pure ride quality and I'm happy with the GT. Trying to find balance between a ride that isn't to Rocking back and forth going slow (soft) and one that doesn't jolt the car when going over the LA streets (too hard).
I have a stock 19 inch rims and I'm going to get 20-in rims and again raise the car back up to stock height. I have ridden these really stiff and they ride on rails without anybody clean. So not sure how much more the performance is going to get you

Mine is lowered 1/2 inch and only if I'm going a but too fast on a driveway have I notice that hitting the bump stop. However, I've stiffened it up a little bit and I've not had the same problem. I called redwood and I think after talking to them I'm going to raise the car back up and not sacrifice the ride quality. Apparently The rear of the Tesla is designed differently than the front in terms of suspension. And I think lowering it doesn't give enough room for it to compress. I've loaded up five passengers in the back. I have the seven seater and haven't had an issue. I decided to start again and have adjusted the shocks to about 19 in the front and 24 in the rear. They said stiffer in the front by about 2 to 4 depending on the ride. Looking for makes the most sense and I definitely noticed a difference of about four makes a difference. I was going for pure ride quality and I'm happy with the GT. Trying to find balance between a ride that isn't to Rocking back and forth going slow (soft) and one that doesn't jolt the car when going over the LA streets (too hard).
I have a stock 19 inch rims and I'm going to get 20-in rims and again raise the car back up to stock height. I have ridden these really stiff and they ride on rails without anybody clean. So not sure how much more the performance is going to get you
Thanks for the detailed response. Until I actually ride these coilovers I'll never be sure which route to go (GT vs Sports) and after driving these past two days on my brother's Model X (air suspension - set to low) from the Los Angeles freeway 405 heading south to Long Beach freeway 405 I can see going with comfort coils and dialing-in dampening to reduce excessive shock strokes and possibly hitting the bump stops often while providing supple compression and rebound. The sharp bumps and undulations felt very rough and at times felt violent on his Model X and is something I would like to avoid. In the end I'm not prioritizing performance over comfort but a balance of the two. I am told by Rewood Motorsports that customer may request a hybrid coilover set-up >> sports springs with GT dampeners. I have yet to explore this option.

Thanks for the detailed response. Until I actually ride these coilovers I'll never be sure which route to go (GT vs Sports) and after driving these past two days on my brother's Model X (air suspension - set to low) from the Los Angeles freeway 405 heading south to Long Beach freeway 405 I can see going with comfort coils and dialing-in dampening to reduce excessive shock strokes and possibly hitting the bump stops often while providing supple compression and rebound. The sharp bumps and undulations felt very rough and at times felt violent on his Model X and is something I would like to avoid. In the end I'm not prioritizing performance over comfort but a balance of the two. I am told by Rewood Motorsports that customer may request a hybrid coilover set-up >> sports springs with GT dampeners. I have yet to explore this option.
I'm in Manhattan Beach if you want to come and drive my Y. I still have stock 19 in and lowered it 1/2” but plan to raise it back up to stock height and get 20" rims.i am going for plush. I no longer have those violent bumps as we get in LA roads often.

Reactions: tm1v2
I'm in Manhattan Beach if you want to come and drive my Y. I still have stock 19 in and lowered it 1/2” but plan to raise it back up to stock height and get 20" rims.i am going for plush. I no longer have those violent bumps as we get in LA roads often.
Darn. I was there in Manhattan Beach this past weekend to visit my nephew. Manhattan Beach is a beautiful place, by the way. Thanks for the offer.

By the way I’ve been working with a wheel fabricator in China, had them build me a Volk Racing replica😊, 20x9.5, +35mm offset, forged. My son has a genuine Volk 37 wheels and laughed when I told him what I was doing.

Darn. I was there in Manhattan Beach this past weekend to visit my nephew. Manhattan Beach is a beautiful place, by the way. Thanks for the offer.

By the way I’ve been working with a wheel fabricator in China, had them build me a Volk Racing replica😊, 20x9.5, +35mm offset, forged. My son has a genuine Volk 37 wheels and laughed when I told him what I was doing.
Pics? I'm looking at getting rims as well. |Do they have others rims? How is shipping ?

Pics? I'm looking at getting rims as well. |Do they have others rims? How is shipping ?
Here you go. Picture of the wheel before shipping to a customer, which happens to be the design I was going after (Volk Racing replica:)). The design spec included below.
Image 11-27-21 at 6.54 AM.jpg
IMG_0235.JPG

Question for you, is your suspension making any noise over low speed bumps? Like going up a driveway or speed bumps? Mine is making a squeaking or heaving sound seemingly all around. Not sure if that’s normal or not.

I’m also not getting the smoothness I expected from reviews here. I also changed the wheels and tires when I got the suspension installed but I downsized to 18s. Granted they are wider (265/40R18) Potenza Sports but could the tire really make it that much worse than the stock 20s with PZ4? Did I accidentally get the sport springs? 😅
Installed RW GTs on M3 last month and am getting a noise that sounds like what you describe. Has your noise gone away, or did you figure out what the cause was?

Please let me know what their explanation is. I’ll be contacting them soon about this. When I re-torqued everything last week I noticed the same sound when I let the jack down a little faster than I normally would. Jacked it up again and let it down and got the same sound. Definitely sounds like the damper when it’s subjected to sudden compression, as would happen going in or out of a driveway or over a speed bump. It’s happening on front and rear, though not sure if on all 4 wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: EdEV and tm1v2
No, but I am taking it back to Redwood to investigate next month. Doesn’t seem to have caused any
This afternoon I decided to adjust my front damper settings. I set them at 28 on installation. Loved the ride but was getting that squishy sound. So I went full firm just to see the difference. Going in and out of the driveway, where the sound was most pronounced, that squishy noise seems to have gone away. Same at 16. I’ll give it a few hundred miles at 16 to see if it returns, and see if I’m as happy with the ride. Although it seems the ride comfort has more to do with the springs than the dampers.🤞
Haven’t changed the rears yet, but will if this is successful.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2