Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeezerSquid

Still a Geezer & Still A Squid
Jun 17, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
Had my new Ohlins Coilover Kit from Redwood Motorsports installed earlier this week. I decided to replace the Unplugged Performance kit that I had installed earlier this year. The UPP coilovers did provide a better ride quality than the stock suspension. But as soon as I found out the Ohlins Kit was available for the Model Y LR AWD I ordered it. I have owned a few BMW motorcycles through the years and most of them were Oilheads with the wishbone front suspension. I put Ohlins on all of them front and back immediately. Those shocks simply transformed those bikes into very cushy straight line machine and yet still held things together extremely well in the curves. Loved them.

The UPP kit did take a lot of the harshness out of the ride. And BTW, the folks at UPP could not have been nicer, friendlier or more knowledgeable during all our interactions!! But I was willing to bet the Ohlins would be better. And they are. Of course they should be better as they were about $1200 more than the UPP kit. I've been playing around getting them adjusted to my liking. This morning I reached the sweet spot (for me) of 8 clicks up from the softest setting. Happy guy now. Oh yeah, on a whim I had them setup 10mm above stock height.

BTW, I will be putting the UPP kit up for sale and a really good price. The kit has about 3,000 miles on it.

Had my new Ohlins Coilover Kit from Redwood Motorsports installed earlier this week. I decided to replace the Unplugged Performance kit that I had installed earlier this year. The UPP coilovers did provide a better ride quality than the stock suspension. But as soon as I found out the Ohlins Kit was available for the Model Y LR AWD I ordered it. I have owned a few BMW motorcycles through the years and most of them were Oilheads with the wishbone front suspension. I put Ohlins on all of them front and back immediately. Those shocks simply transformed those bikes into very cushy straight line machine and yet still held things together extremely well in the curves. Loved them.

The UPP kit did take a lot of the harshness out of the ride. And BTW, the folks at UPP could not have been nicer, friendlier or more knowledgeable during all our interactions!! But I was willing to bet the Ohlins would be better. And they are. Of course they should be better as they were about $1200 more than the UPP kit. I've been playing around getting them adjusted to my liking. This morning I reached the sweet spot (for me) of 8 clicks up from the softest setting. Happy guy now. Oh yeah, on a whim I had them setup 10mm above stock height.

BTW, I will be putting the UPP kit up for sale and a really good price. The kit has about 3,000 miles on it.
Did you get the sport kit or the GT kit? I have the GT kit on order and there’s been precious little feedback on them. I’m not on the fence about them at all but just wondering if you have any additional impressions?

I got the GT kit. They are way better than the UPP kit. There's a local road that has two massive bumps. In the right lane there an asphalt repair that was obviously done with a shovel without first leveling the concrete underneath the repair. It had two large broken section of concrete. So the repair is as rough or rougher than the original bump. I used to slow down to 45 or so before going over that bump. I can now take those bumps at the speed limit of 55. The Model Y now takes those bumps as good as my wife's LS430. Now on very small bumps the LS430 still gets the nod easily. But never the less, I now go out and spent a day running about doing various errands and not once all day do I have very negative thoughts about my car's suspension. I'm very, very pleased with the Ohlin's. This car now rides and handles like it should have from the factory (IMHO). Oh, and I did try the full range of adjustments all the way from full soft up to full stiff. At full soft it handle minor bumps really well, but the bad bumps were not fun. I basically tried everything in between and ended up back at 8 clicks as my favorite.

AND I love that I can adjust the rear shocks without having to jack the car up. The adjuster is on the bottom of shock.

I got the GT kit. They are way better than the UPP kit. There's a local road that has two massive bumps. In the right lane there an asphalt repair that was obviously done with a shovel without first leveling the concrete underneath the repair. It had two large broken section of concrete. So the repair is as rough or rougher than the original bump. I used to slow down to 45 or so before going over that bump. I can now take those bumps at the speed limit of 55. The Model Y now takes those bumps as good as my wife's LS430. Now on very small bumps the LS430 still gets the nod easily. But never the less, I now go out and spent a day running about doing various errands and not once all day do I have very negative thoughts about my car's suspension. I'm very, very pleased with the Ohlin's. This car now rides and handles like it should have from the factory (IMHO). Oh, and I did try the full range of adjustments all the way from full soft up to full stiff. At full soft it handle minor bumps really well, but the bad bumps were not fun. I basically tried everything in between and ended up back at 8 clicks as my favorite.

AND I love that I can adjust the rear shocks without having to jack the car up. The adjuster is on the bottom of shock.
Thanks for the feedback, I’m looking forward to getting mine installed! I’ve heard that it does add a kind of sophistication to the damping that is missing stock. My M3P is actually a bit more comfortable than I expected, but it has plenty of room for improvement. That combined with 18 inch wheels should help

Thanks for the feedback, I’m looking forward to getting mine installed! I’ve heard that it does add a kind of sophistication to the damping that is missing stock. My M3P is actually a bit more comfortable than I expected, but it has plenty of room for improvement. That combined with 18 inch wheels should help
Are the Michelins in your sig then ones you plan on running (Michelin PS4S 265/40R18)? Will those be within specs enough that the speedo will be accurate?

I have been looking at going with 18's and the Martians to save some weight even on my MY LR. The stock ones are supposedly 29.5 pounds.

Are the Michelins in your sig then ones you plan on running (Michelin PS4S 265/40R18)? Will those be within specs enough that the speedo will be accurate?

I have been looking at going with 18's and the Martians to save some weight even on my MY LR. The stock ones are supposedly 29.5 pounds.
It’s about 0.5% smaller circumference than the 235/35R20 on the M3P, so the speedo will read faster than the actual speed but only just. (It’s about 0.8 mph at top speed for example, and less pronounced at lower speeds)

Reactions: DayTrippin
My comprehension is fine. I started out my DM to you "When you do go to sell them how much do you think you will want to get out of them? ..." I think that would demonstrate a sufficient level of comprehension as well as a question I think anyone else interested in these would have as well.

You could have messaged when I texted you the time frame of when you were ready to sell rather than not responding. The one text you did respond to was somewhat incoherent but I chalked that up to maybe being busy but based on your response here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

So rather than insulting a potential buyer in an open forum, you could have replied to the message. I learned a long time ago if communication isn't good before the transaction, it never gets better afterward, especially if any issues. Others can read the exchange here now, draw their own conclusions, and see if they would be interested in doing business with you. I withdraw my interest. The words associated with PT Barnum are echoing in my head as I type this "There is a sucker ..."

GWLS whenever you get around to it.

Gee
I said in the op that I would be putting them up for sale. I did not say they are for sale. You may need to brush up on your reading comprehension!
let le know when you will be putting those for sale! As i said in the PM, you can email me directly. Will wait for yours news and if you can let me know when you think you’ll be putting those for sale it could be great!

wow, didn't hear about these. was looking at the UPP and the mountain pass coilover.
how much are they? did you have to get the sway bars etc for alignment? I wanted to lower my Y by about 1" but really am after a softer ride. would I be able to go to 20" rims and still have a soft ride? or stick with the 19"

Redwood has them. Obviously tire choice has an impact but the 19's should be better than the 20's as they have more sidewall.

https://redwoodmotorsports.com/collections/model-y/products/model-y-ohlins-dfv-coilovers-engineered-by-redwood-motorsports-™

Not a lot more money compared to the other options for top quality stuff. At this pricepoint I'd spend the extra $1300 or so and go with the Ohlins. Especially when you factor in the lifetime warranty.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Alas, the Ohlins do not offer a lift.

After earlier being a little snarky and telling someone they perhaps needed to brush up on their reading comprehension, I sure hope you are referring to being able to raise the car's ride height by adjusting the shocks!

I have my Ohlins set at 10mm higher than stock. Redwood told me I could easily go up to 1" if I wanted.

My comprehension is fine. I started out my DM to you "When you do go to sell them how much do you think you will want to get out of them? ..." I think that would demonstrate a sufficient level of comprehension as well as a question I think anyone else interested in these would have as well.

You could have messaged when I texted you the time frame of when you were ready to sell rather than not responding. The one text you did respond to was somewhat incoherent but I chalked that up to maybe being busy but based on your response here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

So rather than insulting a potential buyer in an open forum, you could have replied to the message. I learned a long time ago if communication isn't good before the transaction, it never gets better afterward, especially if any issues. Others can read the exchange here now, draw their own conclusions, and see if they would be interested in doing business with you. I withdraw my interest. The words associated with PT Barnum are echoing in my head as I type this "There is a sucker ..."

GWLS whenever you get around to it.
You are 100% correct. I was having one of my "Dark" days. I have those 2 or 3 times per month ever since my wife of 54 year, 11 months and 17 days passed away on 5-17-2020. I should not have posted that. My comprehension is also ok, but I did stop reading the emails I get when someone DM's me. So I never even saw your message. Again, sorry for being a dick. I'm normally just an old fun loving hippy who loves cars, motorcycle, boats, bicycles and lawnmowers!!