Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins GT on MYAWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just Had these installed at Redwood Motorsports in Freemont, Initial impressions, there is a bigger difference in ride when loaded or with just 1 or 2 people in the car vs. the stock comfort suspension at least at the setting that they have it on (around 23 to 25 clicks from firm I was told) When coming home we had a 154 lb. bag of green coffee beans in the back on the folded seats and another 100 to 150 lbs. of luggage, wine and trinkets some of which we picked up along the way, When loaded like this at the softer settings the car was so much more comfortable and the travel of the suspension was very noticeable, I would not say it was floaty but it was not a one and done over bumps, man was it super comfy though! great for long road trips.

After unloading all the weight and driving it myself the next morning it was night and day difference, closer to the stock comfort suspension but still a bit better for sure, I took it over some familiar roads, some pretty bad stuff with waves in the roads that were almost like jumps for some cars and it was super composed with nice damping and here again I could tell how much extra travel the suspension has (probably due mostly to not having the giant foam bump stops i'm guessing)

I will play around with adjustments over the next few days and see the differences.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 115
Thanks. I’m interested in doing this in my model Y LR. I keep in sport mode all the time, so looking for both a more comfortable and tighter ride if that’s possible and would also love to further increases cornering and just the joy factor.

Would you recommend? And what did you pay?

Thanks. I’m interested in doing this in my model Y LR. I keep in sport mode all the time, so looking for both a more comfortable and tighter ride if that’s possible and would also love to further increases cornering and just the joy factor.

Redwood Motor Sports has a web page here which has prices of various kits. You can contact them for install quotes and if you are not near them they can tell you who might be able to install in your area.

There is always a trade off for better handling, softer springs and valving gives you more comfort, stiffer springs and valving better handling, I chose the comfort and have not played with adjustments as of yet so not sure what they are capable of, others on this forum have installed the performance version with the stiffer springs and valving for handling, you should go on the Redwoodsmotorsports.com site to look at the options and talk to the owners there as they have the knowledge.

Reactions: tm1v2
Having now put a few hundred miles on these since I returned from my trip, I found after my first adjustment that Redwood Motorsports had them set up and 22 clicks from full stiff or 10 clicks from full soft, I played around with 2 different adjustments, first was to see what stiffer felt like so I set them up about 17 from softest or almost in the middle of the 32 click range, handling was great while still being better than stock on the ride quality the cornering was flat and predictable, I then tried 5 clicks from full soft and have left it there ever since, I do feel more body roll but its not bad, what is great is how compliant this set up is while still maintaining great handling, I highly recommend these for anyone looking for the most comfortable ride.

I see that on Redwoods site they now offer a 3rd version of their in house FPX line that is called GT heavy duty, after driving home with a heavy load in the car for 500 miles I can see this option is going to be good for the people who want the compliant ride but tow or carry more weight often, I'm guessing they increased the spring rate in the rear or both rear and front you would have to ask, for me who runs around over 90 percent of the time with 2 passengers and an occasional Costco run the lighter Swift springs on the Ohlins GT kit is perfect.

I will be going on a few hundred mile road trip with 4 of us and luggage soon, I will probably dial in the dampers to the mid point and see if that changes anything for a heavy loaded trip, I know its not the same as increasing spring rates obviously but maybe a little more damping is all that is needed when loaded a little heavier than normal.

The Redwood Motorsports FPX GT coilovers might be a really good compromise. I'm normally loaded up with 3 rapidly growing pre-teens and the wife in the car. I absolutely hate the ride of the MYLR7. I've never had such a crashy, noisy, non-compliant suspension. $2500 + install would be a lot more bearable than $5500.

Well, it's been awhile and had a chance to drive it with many settings.

I had it at 15 clicks from softest for a few days and while the handling was sharp the ride was a bit stiff.

Drove with it at 5 clicks from softest and handling is slightly compromised in the hardest cornering but overall much more comfortable.

Set it at about 8 clicks from softest when 4 of us and luggage went for a 1,200 mile road trip, still was a little rougher than I expected what with all of the weight we had, I think we may have hit the bump stops more than expected on some dips as the passengers in the rear seem to really notice it, not so much in the front though.

Then just for the hell of it I went fully to the softest settings thinking it was going to be sloppy handling but it was not, still composed and man is it really comfy now! HUGE difference even from 5 clicks, a little more lean in the corners but still handles just fine as I have no problems hitting 45 to 50 in a 25 mph 270 off ramp (just for testing mind you!) I think thats where it will live 90 percent or more of the time, if you want the most compliant ride out of these then to me this is where they shine on the comfort side.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2