Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins R&T Coilovers with Swift Springs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All these comments of R/T kit being too stiff is making me nervous. I get mine installed next month. I’m hoping it will be like My Evo X Ohlins setup. I ended up getting stiffer Swift springs..I believe it was 10k front and like 11 rear, stiffer than OEM but I loved the ride and it was a daily. I hope I don’t have to change anything out.
They likely came from a different platform or just like softer rides in general. It is a Road & Track kit, not a street comfort kit. For those looking for street comfort, Swift springs of lower rates can be used.
IMG_4176.jpg

I haven’t installed the 10k springs yet. During the past week I’ve been debating whether I should install them because I drove my friend’s car with standard 11k/12k springs and I don’t think there’s a huge difference to my car, especially the rear end.
It sounds like you notice more of a difference in the front with the 3k difference in spring rate versus the rear, which only has a 1k difference, which makes sense. If you feel like another 1k drop isn't going to make much difference, maybe going to 9k rear would be more worthwhile?

It sounds like you notice more of a difference in the front with the 3k difference in spring rate versus the rear, which only has a 1k difference, which makes sense. If you feel like another 1k drop isn't going to make much difference, maybe going to 9k rear would be more worthwhile?
As I stated why I didn’t go for 9k springs, I didn’t want to go beyond 20% softer springs without revalving the shocks. I don’t mind the stiffness, the reason I wanted to lower the rear spring rates is because I felt the rears being noticeably stiffer than the fronts. As I’m getting used to the coilovers, guess what, I don’t feel it that way anymore lol.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
As I stated why I didn’t go for 9k springs, I didn’t want to go beyond 20% softer springs without revalving the shocks. I don’t mind the stiffness, the reason I wanted to lower the rear spring rates is because I felt the rears being noticeably stiffer than the fronts. As I’m getting used to the coilovers, guess what, I don’t feel it that way anymore lol.
I swear my Redwood Ohlins got smoother as they wore in over the first couple hundred miles or even couple thousand miles. Like there was stiction when brand new which is gone now. Maybe I just got used to them but I think it's more than that. At first they felt firmer over small stuff than I expected (based on experiencing Ohlins DFV in a Polestar 2 Performance). Now they're every bit as smooth as I'd hoped given that it's the "Performance Sport" version (not the soft GT kit).

I haven't found anything official about a wear-in / break-in period in the Ohlins or Redwood documentation. It's just what I've felt. Maybe it's all in my head. 🤷‍♂️ The car has a top notch ride/handling tradeoff now, aimed more at handling of course, but the ride is totally good. It's firm and sporty yes, yet not the slightest bit harsh, really does soak up the bumps and rough stuff well.

Edit: The one situation where my Ohlins DFV doesn't ride well, compared to stock, is wavy pavement. The Ohlins don't want to float over it at all, instead the car really follows the waves up and down. That's probably good for handling, keeps the weight planted better, but it is a ride quality sacrifice in that situation.

Regular rough, bumpy pavement it rides better than stock though at any significant speed. Go real slow, like driving in an urban city, and the firmer springs are just firmer of course, no getting around that, but get some speed going and it's truly smoother than stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: yjypm
Ride quality improved significantly, with little to no distinguishable difference in the vehicle's level of stability. Naturally on a track or for really aggressive street driving (on good roads), the standard 11/12K Ohlins springs would prevail, but the softer 8/9K Swift springs IMO offer a much more balanced level of performance and comfort for everyday street use. I also found that the dampening adjustments with the softer Swift springs are much more prevalent, and the 20 click range offered by the R&T kit is adequate to keep the car street friendly, while still offering a respectful level of "track-ability" at the firmer end of the adjustments.
With these softer springs and the dampers at full soft, is there still less body roll and better control of the car then stock? What setting are you typically keeping the dampers now for street use?

You can go 30% according to Ohlins USA.

You can go 30% according to Ohlins USA.
I’d rather stay as close to standard as possible. Yes in theory I might be able to go 30% either way but by doing that I lose useable adjustments on the shocks. Now I’m getting used to the rear spring rates I don’t see the need to go softer. Considering redwood performance and mpp sport spring rates are about the same as what I’m running right now, changing the rear springs might not be the best idea for optimum handling either.