Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ohlins R&T - rear rubber isolator (debate on leaving on or remove?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Ohlins R&T manual states to NOT use the rear upper rubber isolator. I've had it on and off and do notice that it's slightly harsher without it. (since metal to metal contact).
Just wondering why Ohlins insists on removing it (for Model Y it stays on) and curious if anyone knows? It does add a little bit of ride height (about 3-5mm)

Thanks,
Steve

I can’t come up with a GOOD reason to not use it on the 3, but use it on the Y. I could understand if they said to leave it off both vehicles, but to keep it on one and not the other is odd to me. I decided to keep it anyway and am happy I did. I was still able to achieve a 1.25” drop, while retaining the isolator, on my M3P.

242B9ACD-5CFF-42A0-90B7-8BB3491B2879.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: yjypm
The only reason not to use the isolator is to avoid re-aligning. The isolator decompresses once removed, and then takes a a week or two to compress again by a few mm.
if that's true then why would ohlins recommend it for the model Y? I personally don't think it takes long for the rubber to compress with a 2 ton car. :)

if you look at most aftermarket sport kit setups (MPP, UPP, Redwood) they ALL retain the upper rubber isolator. Some even use the bottom one as well.

I'm going to call Ohlins and find out what the story is myself... will report back.

Reactions: SBD47
Ok I called Ohlins, and the tech support told me that there's nothing wrong with using the upper rubber isolator on the model 3.
They said Ohlins assumed model 3 owners would rather have the maximum lowering ability compared to model y owners so that's why they recommend
removing it. He did say it would add noise if you removed it.
That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming. I'm running 0mm preload(rear) and sitting 1.25" lower in the back, while retaining the spring isolator.

I personally don't think it takes long for the rubber to compress with a 2 ton car.
I just cited pretty much verbatim what Redwood told me - the rubber will compress a couple mm over a week or two, resulting in ~3mm ride height change and a meaningful toe change, requiring realignment.
Not sure what springs come with this Ohlins kit, those might settle some as well, requiring a realignment anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry did you say 0mm preload? Wouldn't it bottom out all the time when hit slight higher bump? The manual recommend 25mm for M3 and 20mm for MY
Yes, I did. No it doesn’t bottom out all the time with 12K springs in the rear. In fact, I don’t recall it bottoming out at all over the past few weeks it has been installed. Keep in mind, I am utilizing the upper spring isolator, which adds a little bit of height. I’m also running at 7 Clicks from full stiff. So that is probably helping as well. My settings net a 1.25” drop. That isn’t very extreme.