Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes 30A should be 120V, which will work well for the Airstream so that I don’t need to bring my generator. I have the proper adapter plug, so I can grab some miles overnight. I think the AS should have a battery so I can keep the lights on, not sure about the heater. I will see tomorrow. I don’t need to charge, plenty of superchargers around the area (Temecula) or on the route home.

The furnace can run on battery power. The heat strip in the AC unit cannot.

Do I understand you’ll be using a WD hitch with the stock hitch receiver?

I resemble that remark. Really hurt having to break down and buy an ICE after 6 years of being ICE-free, but couldn’t take the COVID induced boredom any longer. Picked up a 27’ Flying Cloud and a RAM 1500 to pull it but I can’t wait to trade that in for the CT. Maybe I can jump the line if I camp at the front gate of GigaTexas. :)

lol

Will you remember how to fill up? ;-)

Considered the F150 Hybrid? I know the thought briefly crossed my mind when I saw a GT 27’ available at my local AS dealer.

The furnace can run on battery power. The heat strip in the AC unit cannot.

Do I understand you’ll be using a WD hitch with the stock hitch receiver?
Thanks for the info! And yes I am forced to use the WD hitch with my stock receiver. I know this combo is poor as the receiver will bend and loosen. But I am only driving 60x2 miles so it should be fine. I didn’t have time to purchase and install the draw-tite receiver. And this 19’ Bambi had a weight bearing hitch when I reserved it but the owner just upgraded last week to WD.

And this 19’ Bambi had a weight bearing hitch when I reserved it but the owner just upgraded last week to WD.

Normally, the part of the WD hitch installed on the trailer tongue would be brackets to receive bars and/or sway control mechanisms. You should still be able to use a weight bearing hitch even if the brackets are installed trailer-side, unless he’s installed something more involved like an Andersen hitch. Your decision of course.

Reactions: ohmman
Normally, the part of the WD hitch installed on the trailer tongue would be brackets to receive bars and/or sway control mechanisms. You should still be able to use a weight bearing hitch even if the brackets are installed trailer-side, unless he’s installed something more involved like an Andersen hitch. Your decision of course.
I am hooked up but my X won’t recognize the electrical connector. It looks like this Bambi has LED lights. I have a brand new X. Perhaps this is an issue with not enough current draw? Any ideas? The electrical cable was damaged and repaired, owner said it has been working fine for a month for other renters.

Thanks, I will order one just in case. But maybe it’s just the damaged wiring. I talked to Tesla roadside assistance, they looked at the logs and saw numerous errors for faulty right light. The owner is towing it for me 60 miles.
Here is what it looked like but I can’t tow today.

Attachments

• F907755D-7A39-428E-BBA7-10D953BD9630.jpeg
    F907755D-7A39-428E-BBA7-10D953BD9630.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 3AB3B20E-079A-41E4-AE4F-7A5AC7814261.jpeg
    3AB3B20E-079A-41E4-AE4F-7A5AC7814261.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 56
  • C65A4B88-5EBA-43C7-9103-E2BBAC80A0A2.jpeg
    C65A4B88-5EBA-43C7-9103-E2BBAC80A0A2.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 60
Thanks, I will order one just in case. But maybe it’s just the damaged wiring. I talked to Tesla roadside assistance, they looked at the logs and saw numerous errors for faulty right light. The owner is towing it for me 60 miles.
I require that adapter or I don’t get brake controller or lights. I believe everyone does with an X and a smaller LED lit trailer.

Made it! Owner towed the AS for me. I will try to get the adapter tomorrow from U-Haul to see if I can tow.

Attachments

• 52E94BE8-E056-42B2-9E46-174244A2E95D.jpeg
    52E94BE8-E056-42B2-9E46-174244A2E95D.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 39D903C5-FD05-4DBA-BE6D-FE4316267AF5.jpeg
    39D903C5-FD05-4DBA-BE6D-FE4316267AF5.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: ohmman
I wonder if it has to do with the Bambi relying more on 12 V than the Sport. The fridge is 12 vote only and so is the TV. Perhaps the trailer draws more making it easier for the Model X to pick it up. No clue. Just guessing.
I actually typed that exact same thing before remembering that I almost always run my absorption fridge on DC power while driving. And mine consumes a LOT more than a compression fridge when I do that. I don't have an easy answer..

I actually typed that exact same thing before remembering that I almost always run my absorption fridge on DC power while driving. And mine consumes a LOT more than a compression fridge when I do that. I don't have an easy answer..

Right. Absorption fridges are power hungry. Another hypothesis. Bambis have 2 batteries from the factory. Maybe the converter/charger setup is designed to draw more from power sources to keep them topped up.

Right. Absorption fridges are power hungry. Another hypothesis. Bambis have 2 batteries from the factory. Maybe the converter/charger setup is designed to draw more from power sources to keep them topped up.
This Bambi has two dry batteries that are full with upgraded solar. I think the tail lights run off just the towing electrical connector, so not sure why the fridge would be involved. The fridge runs off propane when not connected to electricity according to the owner.

This Bambi has two dry batteries that are full with upgraded solar. I think the tail lights run off just the towing electrical connector, so not sure why the fridge would be involved.
More pics because I love the AS so much! I have been tent camping since I was 2, first RV/trailer

Attachments

• 00E5D1AE-E99F-4E3D-88BE-C67B119E6FAE.jpeg
    00E5D1AE-E99F-4E3D-88BE-C67B119E6FAE.jpeg
    564.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 1622844E-EADF-4E1D-A112-070C35E6B7F3.jpeg
    1622844E-EADF-4E1D-A112-070C35E6B7F3.jpeg
    579.9 KB · Views: 57