Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my entire trip home. I tried to calibrate these through TeslaFi to match the trip app numbers on my IC. It's as close as I could get, as each drive varied.

Note: I edited this post to add the "Est. Capacity" which I calculated by dividing kWh Used by Battery % Used.

View attachment 608027
Thank you, great data!

You are showing a discharge capacity consistently of 91.8 kWh for your 3 longest drives. I have done 2 long drives not towing (but with 5 passengers) with an average of 94.3 kWh. Your drives are shorter, less efficient, and higher load. This seems to indicate there are not measurable phantom losses that are not captured by the energy meter, otherwise longer drives would be less efficient. Your data tells me that motor/ drivetrain efficiency is lower when towing, I guess that makes sense. My data screenshot below.

Attachments

• IMG_9181.jpg
    IMG_9181.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 87
I was told today that the class III receiver for my model x is out of stock at Draw-Tite due to production issues, perhaps Covid or material supply related. The Socal dealer/installer I spoke with said it would be Jan or later for my order. I will use the stock receiver on my new X this weekend to pull the 18’ Bambi Airstream that I rented for trip up to SLO. I will try to install the Prodigy P2 brake controller tonight, wish me luck! Wireless backup camera should arrive tomorrow. I am pretty excited, thanks for all the tips in this thread @ohmman and others

Reactions: ohmman
Can you post a photo of your Airstream with your Model X when you are on your way?
Yes will do. Right now I am trying to find a good hitch ball mount. Anyone have a recommendation? I don't remember seeing what @ohmman and @JimVandegriff are using. I like the Weigh Safe for the integrated tongue scale, but it won't arrive in time. What are other people using for X + AS?

Yes will do. Right now I am trying to find a good hitch ball mount. Anyone have a recommendation? I don't remember seeing what @ohmman and @JimVandegriff are using. I like the Weigh Safe for the integrated tongue scale, but it won't arrive in time. What are other people using for X + AS?
Jim and I both use a WD hitch (Equal-i-zer), which comes with its own ball mount integrated into the hitch. I have a second three-way ball hitch for utility purposes, but that's not what you're looking for. Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck on the trip!

Reactions: BM3B
Jim and I both use a WD hitch (Equal-i-zer), which comes with its own ball mount integrated into the hitch. I have a second three-way ball hitch for utility purposes, but that's not what you're looking for. Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck on the trip!
Thank you, I will wait for the Draw-Tite upgrade next year to use WD given the issues you and Jim had. For this first trip I will use a simple weight bearing hitch. I bought a straight triple ball utility hitch mount and a 2” drop. One of
these should work with the 19’ Bambi.

Towever 84173 inches Class III/IV Trailer Hitch Tri Ball Mount (Chrome Ball Tow Hitch, Hollow Shank) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DDOPYWI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_IyATFbYFPDKS4

CURT 45041 Trailer Hitch Mount with 2-5/16-Inch Ball & Pin, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 2-In Drop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QEM6HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_EuATFb9CX8HHS

I'm now using a Husky Centerline WD hitch. Prior to that, I used the Weigh Safe ball mount below. I was quite happy with it. Given you'll be close to the tongue weight specs, the built in scale will be useful to help you balance the rig.

Weigh Safe Drop Hitch

What's the Airstream you've rented? Bambi has 16', 19', 20' and 22' lengths. They don't have an 18'. Asking because only the 16' and 22' fall within (or barely) the 500 lbs X specs for hitch weight.

I'm now using a Husky Centerline WD hitch. Prior to that, I used the Weigh Safe ball mount below. I was quite happy with it. Given you'll be close to the tongue weight specs, the built in scale will be useful to help you balance the rig.

Weigh Safe Drop Hitch

What's the Airstream you've rented? Bambi has 16', 19', 20' and 22' lengths. They don't have an 18'. Asking because only the 16' and 22' fall within (or barely) the 500 lbs X specs for hitch weight.
19’ 2011 Bambi, see pic. I mistyped earlier. I think the max tongue weigh is a little over X spec at 525 lb, I think it will be ok. I will weigh it.

Attachments

• 7D306B95-C37A-44A2-B857-6A98774D2859.png
    7D306B95-C37A-44A2-B857-6A98774D2859.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
19’ 2008 Bambi, see pic. I mistyped earlier. I think the max tongue weigh is a little over X spec at 525 lb, I think it will be ok. I will weigh it.

Keep in mind that the ball mount offset cannot be more than 3/4 of an inch. Given your rig's specific tongue weight, I'd be tempted to use the straight ball mount so as to not put any additional stress on the removable receiver. Before purchasing my AS and installing the Draw Tite hitch you are looking at, I rented a trailer with a TW of 500 and use a straight, 3-way ball mount. Was a tad wobbly as the rig wasn't level but it was totally manageable.

Now, while many will tell you Airstream's weights are underestimated, my 22' Bambi with batteries and LP has always been pretty close to the published 500 lbs.

A few things you can do to reduce the tongue weight are only filling one LP tank at a time and limit what you store at the front of the trailer. Former will probably have more impact than the latter given the dinette is upfront on the model you've rented.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: BM3B and ohmman
A few things you can do to reduce the tongue weight are only filling one LP tank at a time and limit what you store at the front of the trailer. Former will probably have more impact than the latter given the dinette is upfront on the model you've rented.
Good tips here. A note to ensure you don't back weight the camper if you do this, however. You still want approximately 10% up on the tongue for stability. You can store some of your cargo over your axle to keep from getting too far off balance.

• Informative
Keep in mind that the ball mount offset cannot be more than 3/4 of an inch. Given your rig's specific tongue weight, I'd be tempted to use the straight ball mount so as to not put any additional stress on the removable receiver. Before purchasing my AS and installing the Draw Tite hitch you are looking at, I rented a trailer with a TW of 500 and use a straight, 3-way ball mount. Was a tad wobbly as the rig wasn't level but it was totally manageable.

Now, while many will tell you Airstream's weights are underestimated, my 22' Bambi with batteries and LP has always been pretty close to the published 500 lbs.

And that’s the entirety of the reason I ordered the Draw-Tite. The hitch on my soon-to-be camper is 19” above ground when dead level so I definitely need more than a 3/4” rise. Have the Draw-Tite on the way (it was due in January but just shipped from eTrailer yesterday!) plus a Patriot adjustable receiver in hand. Using a Weigh-Safe universal ball on it to keep an eye on tongue weight.

Jealous of you Airstream gents - that’s always been my dream. Ordered a lowly Surveyor instead as we do want the extra room from the slide out.

Jealous of you Airstream gents - that’s always been my dream. Ordered a lowly Surveyor instead as we do want the extra room from the slide out.

Ah! We're all jealous of someone... I envy those folks I run into at campgrounds sporting their 27' Globetrotter or 30' Classic Airstreams (though not the ICE truck that comes with it ;-)).

Didn't know Draw Tite hitches were so hard to come by now. Got mine last year and the dealer sourced the part in a day. I guess I'll hang on to it should I upgrade my X. I'm holding out for the Cybertruck or Rivian R1T, whichever comes first, but I'm still hoping Tesla will release an X with even better range (perhaps using the 3's cells) and boosted towing specs... For the power of that SUV, they are a bit of a pitty those specs. Look at what the German luxury SUVs can tow. Over 7000 lbs! The X is a much more capable vehicle for towing and should be outfitted to pull more OEM.

Reactions: dmurphy and BM3B

Thank you both, great advice. The straight ball hitch doesn’t come with a pin (WTF?) so I kept my 2” drop order (comes with a pin) just in case I need to raise or lower the tongue by 2”. I ordered a tongue scale that will arrive in time so I can balance the rig. Bambi 19’ is only 3,600 dry, so I will shoot for 400 lb TW. We won’t have much of anything extra in The AS, the X has great cargo space. I can’t wait to hit the road (at or below 55 mph), at least speeds are slower on the 101 than the 5.

What else does a rookie need to know?
I have read all the threads I can. I am concerned about the unhitching/rehitching to charge. I have the brand new X LR++ 20” just like @ohmman, I am planning to charge at Goleta (or Buellton if I can make it from LA) and Pismo. I will have to unhook for both I think.

Last edited:
Trip update: due to a change to my wife's work schedule we have to stay closer to home. So I booked a KOA in Temecula, CA that is 2 hours from our house. I will leave home at 90%, pick up the Airstream Bambi 19' with new WD hitch that the owner installed, and continue to the campground that has 30A hookup, arriving with an estimated 40% SOC.

I installed the Prodigy P2 controller without a problem, tomorrow I will be able to test it. I also bought a 2,000 lb tongue weight scale, I should have gone with the 1,000 pound version that is easier to read and cheaper. Live and learn.

I have 3 kids so it will be cramped but one of them is 1 YO and will be in a pack in play by our bed. The older 2 (5 and 8) are very excited. I'll post pictures and a trip report when I can. One of my friends already asked if we can buy a new AS and share it. Let's see how this first trip goes.

Reactions: KJD and ohmman
I envy those folks I run into at campgrounds sporting their 27' Globetrotter or ...

I resemble that remark. Really hurt having to break down and buy an ICE after 6 years of being ICE-free, but couldn’t take the COVID induced boredom any longer. Picked up a 27’ Flying Cloud and a RAM 1500 to pull it but I can’t wait to trade that in for the CT. Maybe I can jump the line if I camp at the front gate of GigaTexas. :)

Trip update: due to a change to my wife's work schedule we have to stay closer to home. So I booked a KOA in Temecula, CA that is 2 hours from our house. I will leave home at 90%, pick up the Airstream Bambi 19' with new WD hitch that the owner installed, and continue to the campground that has 30A hookup, arriving with an estimated 40% SOC.

I installed the Prodigy P2 controller without a problem, tomorrow I will be able to test it. I also bought a 2,000 lb tongue weight scale, I should have gone with the 1,000 pound version that is easier to read and cheaper. Live and learn.

I have 3 kids so it will be cramped but one of them is 1 YO and will be in a pack in play by our bed. The older 2 (5 and 8) are very excited. I'll post pictures and a trip report when I can. One of my friends already asked if we can buy a new AS and share it. Let's see how this first trip goes.

That 30 amp outlet might be only 110 volt. Well, 120. Anyway you might want to check that out.

• Helpful
It will, likely. The 30A at campgrounds aren't 240V. They'll charge at about twice a wall outlet speed, though, which can often be enough when you're parked for a while.
Yes 30A should be 120V, which will work well for the Airstream so that I don’t need to bring my generator. I have the proper adapter plug, so I can grab some miles overnight. I think the AS should have a battery so I can keep the lights on, not sure about the heater. I will see tomorrow. I don’t need to charge, plenty of superchargers around the area (Temecula) or on the route home.