Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m with @Webeevdrivers : I don’t use a weight distribution hitch, nor do I think it’s necessary for a 3000 lb trailer. I know several have replaced the stock hitch with the Draw Tite - I prefer to stay stock but there are some good arguments for the Draw Tite. I took this picture 2 weeks ago at the Mt Shasta supercharger.
FC013106-CDC5-4E2C-BF21-554610D8DF4F.jpeg

I didn't realize that we'd need a brake controller with the trailer brakes and trailer mode in the car.
Without a brake controller, when you brake your X or when it slows using regen, the Bambi trailer brakes do not activate, as far as I know. Which is dangerous, and also illegal in most states.

See this thread for a discussion of the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller and how to install it. It’s not difficult.

I didn't realize that we'd need a brake controller with the trailer brakes and trailer mode in the car.
Just to expand on what @ecarfan posted above, without a brake controller, your Bambi brakes won't engage, which likely explains your "clunking" issues. The weight of the trailer is jamming into the car every time you slow down. A brake controller has an accelerometer in it, and should provide proportional braking signal to the trailer brakes so that the effect on the vehicle is minimal. It's also adjustable so you can turn it up or down depending on how much assistance is needed.

The link that @ecarfan provided is worthwhile reading. The installation isn't difficult. Personally, for your situation, I'd get a brake controller before replacing the hitch and/or adding weight distribution. See how that affects the driving dynamics; you may find that $150 gets you where you need to be.

Just to expand on what @ecarfan posted above, without a brake controller, your Bambi brakes won't engage, which likely explains your "clunking" issues. The weight of the trailer is jamming into the car every time you slow down. A brake controller has an accelerometer in it, and should provide proportional braking signal to the trailer brakes so that the effect on the vehicle is minimal. It's also adjustable so you can turn it up or down depending on how much assistance is needed.

The link that @ecarfan provided is worthwhile reading. The installation isn't difficult. Personally, for your situation, I'd get a brake controller before replacing the hitch and/or adding weight distribution. See how that affects the driving dynamics; you may find that $150 gets you where you need to be.
Oh, wow. Thanks, for the link, @ecarfan, and for the follow up, @ohmman. This is so interesting. The family member's truck that we had been borrowing to tow, until our X arrived, had a "tow mode" with incorporated brake control settings. After hooking up the trailer, we just had to fine tune the intensity of the trailer brake gain for our specific trailer. I guess I just assumed that since the '23 X came standard with the tow package, that braking was also part of the set up. Are you all telling me that is not the case? Why would a tow package and tow setting not include trailer braking? It has wiring and the hitch, and a trailer tow setting, but no trailer braking? That seems so strange and like a major oversight on Tesla's part if that's in fact the case.

I spent a good portion of yesterday on the phone with Tesla technical support, trying to get answers about the hitch height discrepancy (no more than .75in rise recommended vs ~3.5-4in rise needed for an Airstream). The person I talked to didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about, put me on hold multiple times to consult with supervisors, and said they would call me back this week. I'll be sure to let you all know what they say if they do call me back. Eventually, I ended up speaking with a Tesla service center in Nevada (ours in Oregon are closed on weekends), per Tesla support's recommendation, who said it's fine to go with a higher rise and that they've never seen a problem with it. But the whole ordeal did not instill confidence in that answer.

We grabbed a shorter rise basic hitch yesterday and are now perfectly level, which seems to have helped with some of the rattling we were feeling. At least it's something serviceable for now. We will likely be making more tweaks as we figure out the braking and other related towing with Tesla details.

Without a brake controller, when you brake your X or when it slows using regen, the Bambi trailer brakes do not activate, as far as I know. Which is dangerous, and also illegal in most states.

See this thread for a discussion of the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller and how to install it. It’s not difficult.
This is very helpful, thank you. I'm astonished that a towing package wouldn't automatically do this. The truck we were borrowing had a built in tow package that offered brake assistance, so it didn't even cross my mind that Tesla wouldn't have this as part of their set up.

Are you all telling me that is not the case? Why would a tow package and tow setting not include trailer braking? It has wiring and the hitch, and a trailer tow setting, but no trailer braking? That seems so strange and like a major oversight on Tesla's part if that's in fact the case.
It has the wiring to support a trailer brake controller, but you have to supply the actual brake controller that you want to use. (That is common with pickup trucks as well, though I think more are starting to factory install a brake controller.)

This is very helpful, thank you. I'm astonished that a towing package wouldn't automatically do this. The truck we were borrowing had a built in tow package that offered brake assistance, so it didn't even cross my mind that Tesla wouldn't have this as part of their set up.
Many vehicles don’t have a built in brake controller, especially SUV’s. It also allows you to choose from a wide variety of brake controllers. Your tesla is all set up for it. You will need the harness that came with your model x. If you lost it I’ll give you the part number. It’s 5 bucks.

I recommend the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. It’s an easy 20 minute install in a model X or Y as it’s all pre-wired. When it comes time to install it you can consult threads on this board or just PM me and I’ll walk you thru it, although I installed on a model Y, not an X. We installed it to the left of the steering wheel. You can see it thru the wheel in this pic.

4F789DA7-FB61-48B0-A397-CC5D99952FBA.jpeg

I spent a good portion of yesterday on the phone with Tesla technical support, trying to get answers about the hitch height discrepancy (no more than .75in rise recommended vs ~3.5-4in rise needed for an Airstream). The person I talked to didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about, put me on hold multiple times to consult with supervisors, and said they would call me back this week. I'll be sure to let you all know what they say if they do call me back.
My experience has been that Tesla has very little guidance on towing with their vehicles. They made them towing capable, but their expertise pales in comparison to information you can find online. I provided them with my old tow bar and hitch receiver that failed so that they could do diagnostics (per their request), and they never followed up at all. I'm pretty certain they scratched their heads and threw it in the scrap pile.

Many vehicles don’t have a built in brake controller, especially SUV’s. It also allows you to choose from a wide variety of brake controllers. Your tesla is all set up for it. You will need the harness that came with your model x. If you lost it I’ll give you the part number. It’s 5 bucks.

I recommend the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. It’s an easy 20 minute install in a model X or Y as it’s all pre-wired. When it comes time to install it you can consult threads on this board or just PM me and I’ll walk you thru it, although I installed on a model Y, not an X. We installed it to the left of the steering wheel. You can see it thru the wheel in this pic.

View attachment 893755
Okay! I have ordered this brake controller and it should be here on Thursday night (just in time for our previously scheduled weekend trip with the new set up)! Woo! I would really appreciate it if you could walk me through what to do. Thank you for being so helpful to this towing newbie.

Okay! I have ordered this brake controller and it should be here on Thursday night (just in time for our previously scheduled weekend trip with the new set up)! Woo! I would really appreciate it if you could walk me through what to do. Thank you for being so helpful to this towing newbie.
Alrighty then. First question. Do you have the little harness that came with the X?

Have you reviewed the Trailer Brakes section of the manual: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

1673287377421.png

It sounds like the required pigtail is no longer included in the vehicle and you have to order it from Tesla. (I think it is part number 1072586-00-A.)

Reactions: 2022S-LR and ohmman
Which is shocking for a +$100,000 automobile that is promoted as being able to tow up to 5,000 lbs.
My guess is a small fraction of people use it, and many of them misplaced it by the time they needed it. I have mine (2018 X), but I infrequently tow a small utility trailer with no brakes. Most of the time the hitch is off the car and in the frunk...with the harness.

Alrighty then. First question. Do you have the little harness that came with the X?
I explained my issue about the trailer brake controller to my brother-in-law early today, and he apparently knew exactly what to do! This afternoon I was able to pick up the brake controller you recommended and get a pigtail connecter from my local Tesla. Then my brother-in-law got it all installed tonight! It made such a difference when we were driving around testing things out this evening! The ride was smooth, quiet, and the brakes worked great. I am so, so grateful to you all for bringing all of these issues to my attention, and for pointing me in the right direction. Now we get to go on our first electric airstream adventure this weekend! This is such a nice community and a helpful resource. I don't know what I would have done without this page! Our weekend trip certainly wouldn't have happened, that's for sure. Thank you x1000!

I explained my issue about the trailer brake controller to my brother-in-law early today, and he apparently knew exactly what to do! This afternoon I was able to pick up the brake controller you recommended and get a pigtail connecter from my local Tesla. Then my brother-in-law got it all installed tonight! It made such a difference when we were driving around testing things out this evening! The ride was smooth, quiet, and the brakes worked great. I am so, so grateful to you all for bringing all of these issues to my attention, and for pointing me in the right direction. Now we get to go on our first electric airstream adventure this weekend! This is such a nice community and a helpful resource. I don't know what I would have done without this page! Our weekend trip certainly wouldn't have happened, that's for sure. Thank you x1000!
Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy your camping trip. Feel free to post reviews of the airstream. Especially the liveability from the sleeping point of view.

Reactions: pdxjess
Happy to hear your issue was easily resolved!

I would suggest that you start a new thread about your towing and camping experiences with your Bambi. I’m sure many would be interested to hear about it and it deserves its own thread, as your 16 ft Airstream is very different from Ohmman’s bigger rig. Thanks.

Happy to hear your issue was easily resolved!

I would suggest that you start a new thread about your towing and camping experiences with your Bambi. I’m sure many would be interested to hear about it and it deserves its own thread, as your 16 ft Airstream is very different from Ohmman’s bigger rig. Thanks.
That's a good suggestion! I have an instagram set up for our rig (https://www.instagram.com/electricairstream) but a message board would be a great way to share the less glamorous details. ;-)

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
It's been over 7 years since I started this thread and I'm somewhat sad to report that we plan to sell our Airstream. We decided to trade in our Model X after some continued suspension issues and an overall desire for a smaller everyday car. I had already replaced my S with a Y, and Wohmman kept "stealing" it as she preferred it strongly. So now we have two Ys, and neither are rated to tow the Airstream.

There are a few other factors - our kids are 17 and 14 and aren't really coming along with us on trips these days. We also purchased a second home in the mountains a couple of years ago and it provides us a lot of access to the things we often do while camping. That said, our days of being in a camper are unlikely to be over. Once the kids are out of the house, I can definitely see us getting back to the road again. I've been eyeballing the new Bowlus Rivet, which we could tow with a Model Y, and would be a perfect fit for two.

I can say unequivocally that the trips we took with our Model X and Airstream rank at the very top of the things we've done as a family. I will always remember what we were able to see and do, and the time we were able to spend together. I'd have never made this choice if my tow vehicle was an ICE, so for that I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Model X. I also really enjoyed geeking out about the whole towing thing.

Life moves on!

IMG_4106.JPG
IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_0980.jpeg
IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_0884.jpeg
IMG_4134.JPG

Last edited:
A fine travelogue this has been. We know you will want to share your new adventures; if you wish, instead of creating a new one why don’t you consider changing the thread’s title when “Airstream “ no longer is appropriate? I think you have Mod powers to do so.

Reactions: ohmman
It's been over 7 years since I started this thread and I'm somewhat sad to report that we plan to sell our Airstream. We decided to trade in our Model X after some continued suspension issues and an overall desire for a smaller everyday car. I had already replaced my S with a Y, and Wohmman kept "stealing" it as she preferred it strongly. So now we have two Ys, and neither are rated to tow the Airstream.

There are a few other factors - our kids are 17 and 14 and aren't really coming along with us on trips these days. We also purchased a second home in the mountains a couple of years ago and it provides us a lot of access to the things we often do while camping. That said, our days of being in a camper are unlikely to be over. Once the kids are out of the house, I can definitely see us getting back to the road again. I've been eyeballing the new Bowlus Rivet, which we could tow with a Model Y, and would be a perfect fit for two.

I can say unequivocally that the trips we took with our Model X and Airstream rank at the very top of the things we've done as a family. I will always remember what we were able to see and do, and the time we were able to spend together. I'd have never made this choice if my tow vehicle was an ICE, so for that I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Model X. I also really enjoyed geeking out about the whole towing thing.

Life moves on!

View attachment 1038387View attachment 1038388
View attachment 1038389View attachment 1038390

View attachment 1038391View attachment 1038392View attachment 1038386
Thanks for sharing your Airstream + X adventures with us! I am curious about your suspension problems since I have a 2020 X. Can you say more about the issues and any fixes or lack there of? Enjoy the Ys!