Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller in a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller in my Model X. Takes about 45 minutes to do (the second time you do it). I've a 12 page "how to" complete with pictures and part numbers, but I don't want to publicly release it until someone else has installed one using my instructions. Obviously, your car must be equipped with the tow package.

If that's going to be you, PM me and I'll get you a copy. Buy a Prodigy P2 and send me a photograph of you holding it in your hand in front of your Model X.

Ken

• Love
Reactions: Rossy and TaylorJD
I've installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller in my Model X. Takes about 45 minutes to do (the second time you do it). I've a 12 page "how to" complete with pictures and part numbers, but I don't want to publicly release it until someone else has installed one using my instructions. Obviously, your car must be equipped with the tow package.

If that's going to be you, PM me and I'll get you a copy. Buy a Prodigy P2 and send me a photograph of you holding it in your hand in front of your Model X.

Ken

Do you have any tips for getting the hitch installed. I tried for an hour and just couldn't get it into place.

Do you have any tips for getting the hitch installed. I tried for an hour and just couldn't get it into place.

Hmm. Too cold to go outside and be sure, but from memory you need to be sure the key is unlocked and you can rotate the knob. I think you have to pull (or maybe it was push) the knob out, and then it rotates even further. It is only then that the locking balls are retracted enough to fully insert it into the vertical receiver hole. I recall this is covered in the online manual.

So no integrated controller? I'm guessing since it already has a 7 way on the back, it probably came with a pigtail for the controller. Any additional relays needed, or were they there already?

Loking forward to to seeing your guide once you get a tester. I have a P2 on my current TV and have used it on 3 other vehicles in the past so it will most likely go on a future X. Any more towing details would be very welcome. Still waiting for tongue weight and WD hitch info in another thread. Is there a light test mode? After that video with the three Xs and the dancing lights, a light test for checking trailer lights should be trivial.

Thanks for sharing. All the great X details we've been hearing have my wife and I really close to jumping in.

I was disappointed that the Model X didn't come with a 4 pin under the dash connector. That makes it a few minute job!

Autopilot and Towing - Page 3

To orient people:

Image: http://i.imgur.com/wXQ7CN1.png
wXQ7CN1.png

faq051_hh_500.jpg

Via: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch | etrailer.com

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I was disappointed that the Model X didn't come with a 4 pin under the dash connector. That makes it a few minute job!

It does. Go look under the dash on a Model X (or Model S) and you'll notice that there is a "Driver's Footwell Cover". My instructions show the steps required to safely remove this cover to access the under-dash connector. Doing this carefully is what takes most of the time. Also, the connector is safely secured during vehicle production where you won't be able to find it unless you know what you're looking for.

One issue is, like every other manufacture, they used their own proprietary connector. If the car is equipped with the tow package, it should come with a pigtail. You need to splice this into the pigtail that comes with the brake controller. Hint: Do not connect the wire colors to each other, that's wrong. I'm working with a vendor who sounds willing to manufacture a small number of these harnesses with both appropriate connectors ready-to-play.

My instructions are 12 pages long; I just want someone to validate them while doing their own installation before I publish them. If you're ready to install one, please contact me.

Note: The Tesla Service Centers will NOT install a brake controller for you since it is a non-Tesla part.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rossy and X-pilot
Hmm. Too cold to go outside and be sure, but from memory you need to be sure the key is unlocked and you can rotate the knob. I think you have to pull (or maybe it was push) the knob out, and then it rotates even further. It is only then that the locking balls are retracted enough to fully insert it into the vertical receiver hole. I recall this is covered in the online manual.

Thank you. I feel pretty stupid. I was missing the extra pull of the knob. It is actually quite easy when you know what you are doing.

It does. Go look under the dash on a Model X (or Model S) and you'll notice that there is a "Driver's Footwell Cover". My instructions show the steps required to safely remove this cover to access the under-dash connector. Doing this carefully is what takes most of the time. Also, the connector is safely secured during vehicle production where you won't be able to find it unless you know what you're looking for.

One issue is, like every other manufacture, they used their own proprietary connector. If the car is equipped with the tow package, it should come with a pigtail. You need to splice this into the pigtail that comes with the brake controller. Hint: Do not connect the wire colors to each other, that's wrong. I'm working with a vendor who sounds willing to manufacture a small number of these harnesses with both appropriate connectors ready-to-play.

My instructions are 12 pages long; I just want someone to validate them while doing their own installation before I publish them. If you're ready to install one, please contact me.

Note: The Tesla Service Centers will NOT install a brake controller for you since it is a non-Tesla part.
Ken,
It is excellent news that is at least wired (even if plug not same). Thanks so much for this effort and contribution to the Model X community! I don't have my Sig Model X yet but I have a brake controller that I took out of the Ford Expedition I'm selling.

I thought the tow package came with an integrated controller?
It does NOT. It comes with the car pre-wired for one. There is standard 7-pin connector at the rear of the car to provide lights, power, and brakes to the trailer, and a non-standard 4-pin connector under the dash that you connect the brake controller to.

- - - Updated - - -

Ken,
It is excellent news that is at least wired (even if plug not same). Thanks so much for this effort and contribution to the Model X community! I don't have my Sig Model X yet but I have a brake controller that I took out of the Ford Expedition I'm selling.

Not sure what you took out of the Ford, but I would stick with the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 for the Model X.

That's a interesting question! Does it activate only when you press the brake petal or when the regen goes past a certain kilowatt level?

For maximum energy recovery it would only activate when press the brake petal; for less driver effort it might activate when regen exceeds 30KW...

The Prodigy should activate some brake on deceleration of any sort, and it should be more aggressive when it sees a brake-light signal. I'm not sure if Tesla sends a brake-light signal to the brake controller harness on strong regen deceleration or just when you actually use the brake.

The Prodigy should activate some brake on deceleration of any sort, and it should be more aggressive when it sees a brake-light signal. I'm not sure if Tesla sends a brake-light signal to the brake controller harness on strong regen deceleration or just when you actually use the brake.

Well, the brake light definitely comes on during hard regen (per the manual), that light needs to be propagated to the trailer so people following behind actually see the brake light so it has to come through the harness too

Well, the brake light definitely comes on during hard regen (per the manual), that light needs to be propagated to the trailer so people following behind actually see the brake light so it has to come through the harness too

The brake light signal to the trailer could be a different signal than the "brake pedal activated" signal to the trailer brake controller.