Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coeur d'Alene parking job to leave all other locations open... second time I haven't felt the need to unhitch.

IMG_3793.JPG

Yesterday was a long day. I won't bother with the segment breakdown, but here are the daily stats from TeslaFi:

391.15 miles
620Wh/mi
8 hours 14 minutes driving
2 hours 43 minutes Supercharging (3 chargers)

We had a change of plans due to heavy rain in the forecast for today. We decided to make it to Polson, MT and charge at an RV camp. That allowed us to make it to Glacier today without worry about range in the rain.

The rain came heavy all day, but we were able to see a few things in the park. We are here for a couple of nights and the forecast is dry and sunny. I'll update as we progress. I have more granular data for anyone that's interested.

A couple of nights on this side of the park and a couple of nights on the east side, then we're headed north into Canada.

The rain came heavy all day, but we were able to see a few things in the park. We are here for a couple of nights and the forecast is dry and sunny. I'll update as we progress. I have more granular data for anyone that's interested.

A couple of nights on this side of the park and a couple of nights on the east side, then we're headed north into Canada.

The hike to Avalanche Lake is a *must* do.

Also, I am incredibly jealous you are taking this route into Canada. So much wanted to do that last year...

How much of the days 391 miles was in the rain? Any significant elevation gain?

620Wh/mi doesn't seem bad for inclement weather.

Where are you staying at Glacier?
I think you misunderstood. The long day was in good weather, anticipating yesterday's short drive in inclement weather.

We are staying at the West Glacier KOA. It is very nice. We have a patio site with grill and fire pit. On the east side, we will also be staying at a KOA in St. Mary. These are the only two KOAs we have scheduled on our trip.
IMG_3822.JPG

I think you misunderstood. The long day was in good weather, anticipating yesterday's short drive in inclement weather.

We are staying at the West Glacier KOA. It is very nice. We have a patio site with grill and fire pit. On the east side, we will also be staying at a KOA in St. Mary. These are the only two KOAs we have scheduled on our trip.
View attachment 231362
How can you be driving on this kind of trip and still have a perfectly clean vehicle, you must be like me very OCD. Love the pictures very beautiful country.

Update on my project installing a Tesla camera on the rear of the Airstream: Tonight, with help from @Akikiki and @HankLloydRight in another thread, I was able to get a camera working. It is extended all the way through the Airstream (indoors) with a connection at the A-frame where hitching occurs. I have not yet permanently mounted the camera through the chassis, as I was unsure if this would work. It does indeed work, but it required that I use my 2014 Model S backup camera, and install the newer, high resolution camera in its place on the Model S. More disassembling than I'd have preferred, but the good news is that I should have a live rear view out of the back of the Airstream while driving and backing up.

I'll post photos of the completed project soon. I hope to complete it this weekend.

In other news, we will be leaving next week on our 3500 mile trip through Glacier NP and Banff, then back west and down the coast. I'll be updating this thread or a new one with as much telemetry as possible.
We did a similar loop two years ago and there was a Supercharger gap going between Banff and Glacier to I90. We Supercharged in Golden and found useful charging in Fernie, BC (at the Town Hall) and RV parks in West Glacier (San-Suz-Ed RV park) and Duck Lake RV park (East Glacier).
Have a great time. It's a beautiful trip.

Reactions: Rossy and dhrivnak
That is a great picture Ohmman.

I think airstream should pay you for an ad campaign. :)
Thanks. I had to scale some rocks across the street to get the angle. And at the time, I had range concerns about making it to St. Mary. I think it was worth it.

Yesterday in Two Medicine, my wife rolled her ankle pretty badly. She is out of commission today and can't bear weight on it. We are hoping for improvement considering the road ahead.

I took the kids out for some rainy hiking early today and will go over to Many Glacier this afternoon. Tomorrow we plan to make the stretch to Banff in a single day, going through Fort MacLeod and Calgary to charge. We will spend four nights there.

Thanks. I had to scale some rocks across the street to get the angle. And at the time, I had range concerns about making it to St. Mary. I think it was worth it.

Yesterday in Two Medicine, my wife rolled her ankle pretty badly. She is out of commission today and can't bear weight on it. We are hoping for improvement considering the road ahead.

I took the kids out for some rainy hiking early today and will go over to Many Glacier this afternoon. Tomorrow we plan to make the stretch to Banff in a single day, going through Fort MacLeod and Calgary to charge. We will spend four nights there.

Be well Mrs. Ohmman! She must be a real trooper (or as my father would say 'a good egg') to participate in this trip.;)