Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I am planning to upgrade to LR+. I recognize there could be an imminent announcement on battery day about some major changes to the X, but unfortunately the timing doesn't work. I've planned a camping trip for the month of October to Utah and Arizona, having the kids work remotely, and my route requires the extra range. I'm waiting for the possibility of an end-of-quarter inventory promo with free Supercharging, but I'll have to pull the trigger at some point either way.

I see. Can totally appreciate wanting those extra few miles.

When you think about how much other SUVs can tow, like the Cayenne or X7 for instance, it's not ludicrous to expect Tesla to bump up the X's specs and, hopefully, get rid of the Bosal hitch receiver in the process. While they're at it, they could throw in some more towing-specific software features like minimizing dynamic air suspension when towing, trip planning that takes into account the towed weight, etc.

Last edited:
When I installed my True Tow hitch, the top of the ball on the head assembly was 18". Trailer was perfectly level. Last week, I noticed the trailer has a bit of a grade to it. Measured and sure enough the top of the ball on the hitch is now 19". I readjusted the hitch and it's all good but it got me wondering if a software update would have played with heights (before 28.6 which has tweaked High and Very High settings from what I understand).
I have not noticed any change in the attitude of my trailer while towing since I got my rig in early 2018. However, I have not made any measurements so perhaps I missed it.

I suggest you search TMC for posts about SAS height changes after software updates. I don’t have a Raven X so can’t comment on that version’s suspension capabilities.

I have not noticed any change in the attitude of my trailer while towing since I got my rig in early 2018. However, I have not made any measurements so perhaps I missed it.

I suggest you search TMC for posts about SAS height changes after software updates. I don’t have a Raven X so can’t comment on that version’s suspension capabilities.

So far, I’ve found no evidence of this being a thing in my searches here on the forum and the web in general.

I seem to remember reading about a software update to address the half shaft issue. Maybe that included height adjustment.

At any rate, adjusted the hitch. I’ll monitor to see if it changes again.

Not on Raven either by the way. This is on the old suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Don't want to hijack thread, but I'll probably get the right answer here.

Considering purchasing used MX and small travel trailer to replace Ford F250/Montana 5th wheel. Trying to decide between 90D or 100D

From what I'm able to determine, both have 4,960 pound towing capacity, maximum 500 pound tongue weight. 90D has 1391 pound payload; 257 mi range , 100D has 1237 pound payload; 295 mile range.

Is it worth giving up range for payload? Concerned about supercharger spacing and having enough range to make it.

Looking at Gulf Stream 19CSK, loaded to about 4100 pounds, 410 pound hitch weight. Probably going to need weight distributing hitch.

Don't want to hijack thread, but I'll probably get the right answer here.

Considering purchasing used MX and small travel trailer to replace Ford F250/Montana 5th wheel. Trying to decide between 90D or 100D

From what I'm able to determine, both have 4,960 pound towing capacity, maximum 500 pound tongue weight. 90D has 1391 pound payload; 257 mi range , 100D has 1237 pound payload; 295 mile range.

Is it worth giving up range for payload? Concerned about supercharger spacing and having enough range to make it.

Looking at Gulf Stream 19CSK, loaded to about 4100 pounds, 410 pound hitch weight. Probably going to need weight distributing hitch.

I would always favor range personally so 100D with no hesitation. In fact, if you can find a used one, I'd go for a LR+.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
100 kWh battery is always the better choice. Newer technology, cooling and range. Loss of payload is most likely due to the 100 kWh battery having more cells and thus heavier.

Also consider buying brand new. Tesla has lowered their Long Range pricing, and at the same time added the fantastic Raven package with faster computer, adaptable suspension, faster Supercharging.

Worth a look.

Considering what I'm going through with my MCU (they just made me reschedule my appointment for September 1st), I really wish the Rivian R1S was available at this time. I'm not terribly thrilled about buying another vehicle from Tesla right now, but my choices are sadly limited.

That sucks.

Were you planning on selling the car on your own?

Otherwise, you could exchange it for the new one and let them deal with the repair.

Were you planning on selling the car on your own?
Yeah, I already have a buyer lined up (friend of mine). Tesla told me I'd have to get it fixed if I wanted to trade it in, then offered me a garbage trade-in value. If I'm going to give it away, I'd rather let a friend get the benefit, not Tesla.

Our 2017 MX lease expired in Feb. We placed an order for a 2020 Longrange+ with free supercharger. We were lucky to have gotten one of the last inventory vehicles with the price drop, before Elon took away the free SC. I have driven over 60 years and immediately noticed the newer MX felt and drove lighter, the seats/ride more comfortable and, in general, some improvements in 3 model years. After 400 miles the screen went blank while my wife was driving yesterday. It came back on a few miles later. Oops...Just sayin'...
I am writing to ask the forum about this hitch (Oris Bosal). Although it is European, will it fit our Bosal trailer receiver and will the ball substitute for a 2 inch ball. I will be towing a 18.5 ft Snoozy that probably weighs 5000 lbs loaded with tongue weight of approximately 250 lbs.. This hitch (if it works) will shorten the length of my current hitch and put the trailer closer to the rear bumper for more efficient towing. Plus it is a one piece hitch. Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bosal Oris.jpg
MX B4YZ #14.jpg

Our 2017 MX lease expired in Feb. We placed an order for a 2020 Longrange+ with free supercharger. We were lucky to have gotten one of the last inventory vehicles with the price drop, before Elon took away the free SC. I have driven over 60 years and immediately noticed the newer MX felt and drove lighter, the seats/ride more comfortable and, in general, some improvements in 3 model years. After 400 miles the screen went blank while my wife was driving yesterday. It came back on a few miles later. Oops...Just sayin'...
I am writing to ask the forum about this hitch (Oris Bosal). Although it is European, will it fit our Bosal trailer receiver and will the ball substitute for a 2 inch ball. I will be towing a 18.5 ft Snoozy that probably weighs 5000 lbs loaded with tongue weight of approximately 250 lbs.. This hitch (if it works) will shorten the length of my current hitch and put the trailer closer to the rear bumper for more efficient towing. Plus it is a one piece hitch. Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.View attachment 578224View attachment 578225
Congrats on the LR+. I'll be interested to hear how the efficiency changes while towing.

I had seen those ball hitch attachments for the Bosal when I still had the original hitch. Yes, it will fit in the stock receiver. What would concern me is the weight rating. The first thing I see that looks wrong is that you're advertising a hitch weight that's only 5% of the trailer weight. You definitely want the hitch weight to be around 10%, and in the range of 9-15%. A low hitch weight will cause instability, and with any Bosal, you probably shouldn't be using weight distribution, so you'll definitely want a heavier tongue weight.

Given that, and the fact that everything I can find online about the swan neck limits its towing capacity to 1500 kg (3306 lbs), I would not recommend its use for your rig.

100 kWh battery is always the better choice. Newer technology, cooling and range. Loss of payload is most likely due to the 100 kWh battery having more cells and thus heavier.

Also consider buying brand new. Tesla has lowered their Long Range pricing, and at the same time added the fantastic Raven package with faster computer, adaptable suspension, faster Supercharging.

Worth a look.

Thanks for the head up. New ones have 351 mile range. With new inclusions and prce reductions, new ones are less than some used ones. Wonder what battery day will reveal.

Another question for the experts: MX max tow weight 4,960. Trailer I'm looking at will weigh 4,000 pounds loaded, 400 pound tongue weight. Will I need a weight distributing hitch and/or away control?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I will be towing a 18.5 ft Snoozy that probably weighs 5000 lbs loaded with tongue weight of approximately 250 lbs.
I see @ohmman already pointed out that your safe tongue weight will need to be much more than that. And I would not use an X to tow a 5,000 lb trailer. That’s at the limit.

Trailer I'm looking at will weigh 4,000 pounds loaded, 400 pound tongue weight. Will I need a weight distributing hitch and/or away control?
I think you will need a weight distribution hitch, which means not the stock Bosal. @ohmman uses a Draw-Tite and likes it. As for sway control, Tesla says the X Tow Mode software has that feature.

I think you will need a weight distribution hitch, which means not the stock Bosal. @ohmman uses a Draw-Tite and likes it. As for sway control, Tesla says the X Tow Mode software has that feature.

I'm using the True Tow WD hitch by Weigh Safe. On the heavy side but like how it helps precisely adjust your hitch for each towing session based on tongue weight. Of course, as you point out, it requires a hitch receiver. Went with the Draw-Tite as well.

I continue to be curious about Tesla's built in sway control. Towed on the ball before getting True Tow and never noticed it kicking in, nor have I been able to find anyone in these parts who's seen it activate. If I had more experience or insights on its operation, I may have gone for a WD hitch that's less focused on sway control and therefore less stiff/lighter.

I'm using the True Tow WD hitch by Weigh Safe. On the heavy side but like how it helps precisely adjust your hitch for each towing session based on tongue weight. Of course, as you point out, it requires a hitch receiver. Went with the Draw-Tite as well.

I continue to be curious about Tesla's built in sway control. Towed on the ball before getting True Tow and never noticed it kicking in, nor have I been able to find anyone in these parts who's seen it activate. If I had more experience or insights on its operation, I may have gone for a WD hitch that's less focused on sway control and therefore less stiff/lighter.

I'm a little confused. Factory tow package includes 2 inch hitch receiver. Do I need to replace that one with a Draw-Tite? Also would like to know more about Tesla's built in sway control. Would hate to buy standard WD hitch and than find out that I need sway control. Prefer to have WD hitch with built in sway control if I really need it.

I'm a little confused. Factory tow package includes 2 inch hitch receiver. Do I need to replace that one with a Draw-Tite? Also would like to know more about Tesla's built in sway control. Would hate to buy standard WD hitch and than find out that I need sway control. Prefer to have WD hitch with built in sway control if I really need it.

The stock hitch receiver is made by a company called Bosal and is removable meaning that you can remove it from the structure it attaches to on the car. It will not withstand a WD hitch as the force it applies on the receiver can deform it. Search for very informative posts from @ohmman and @JimVandegriff about their experiences with the Bosal receiver and WD. They paved the way for the rest of us. I'd also be worried frankly about the extra weight of your WD hitch making the receiver detach. So, if you go WD, you have to replace the stock hitch receiver with one that isn't removable.

As for WD, I'd personally recommend a hitch that does both. As stated in my post, while it is an advertised feature in the X manual, I have yet to see evidence of that sway control in operation. Not saying it doesn't exist, just don't know how it works precisely and how efficient it is. And all it would be, I believe, is brakes being applied on the car (and not the trailer which is the reverse of what you want in a sway event). It will not prevent sway. It'll just possibly minimize it once it has started.

What I got for my X:

New hitch receiver:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Tesla/Model+X/2017/76143.html

Weight distribution with sway control (there are other simpler and lighter options such as Equalizer or Blue Ox):

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/

Reactions: JimVandegriff
As stated in my post, while it is an advertised feature in the X manual, I have yet to see evidence of that sway control in operation. Not saying it doesn't exist, just don't know how it works precisely and how efficient it is. And all it would be, I believe, is brakes being applied on the car (and not the trailer which is the reverse of what you want in a sway event). It will not prevent sway. It'll just possibly minimize it once it has started.
Until you get into a situation where your trailer is swaying significantly I would think the Tesla sway control will not activate. That could explain why you have yet to experience it.