Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, I admit it, I was wrong.........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Yes boys and girls, you heard it here first. I am saying I was wrong.

About the paint color!

One of my bigger complaints on the 3 was not only having to pay $1000 to get away from the ugly black paint, but having to take Pearl White instead of Solid White. I was thinking that the pearl white was some off-white color, with a yellowish haze to it that could not be eliminated. That is where I was wrong.

I was out in my '11 Challenger R/T today, doing some things, breaking the speed limit, etc, and decided to cruise by the Tesla Service Center 15 miles away. In the parking lot, there were 5 Model S's and X's in Pearl White.

Since no one was around, I took my time, walking around them, looking from all angles. Some of them were clean, some were dusty, the sun was out, the sun was behind clouds, etc.

And I've got to say, the pearl white isn't bad. It is not the WHITE white I wanted, but it is a whole lot closer to it than I thought it would be. So I deem it to be acceptable for my 3.

But I still don't like Tesla's highway robbery $1000 price (get it? car? highway?). $500 or $600 would be reasonable, but there should be a no-cost paint option other than black. That is just plain wrong.

While I was there, I saw something odd. Somebody had ordered a Model X 75D, and had pimped it up with options to $153,250!!! Its VIN is XXXXX. It had all the goodies. Full autopilot, 22 inch rims, everything except the most important option, the P100D! Or at least the 100D! Someone with more money than brains, probably some trust fund baby, ordered this thing. How could they not get the big battery astounds me.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was there, I saw something odd. Somebody had ordered a Model X 75D, and had pimped it up with options to $153,250!!! Its VIN is XXXXXX. It had all the goodies. Full autopilot, 22 inch rims, everything except the most important option, the P100D! Or at least the 100D! Someone with more money than brains, probably some trust fund baby, ordered this thing. How could they not get the big battery astounds me.

Some of us used our brains to earn the money to pay for exactly what we wanted. Like me. Hope that's okay with you.

About the paint color!

One of my bigger complaints on the 3 was not only having to pay $1000 to get away from the ugly black paint, but having to take Pearl White instead of Solid White. I was thinking that the pearl white was some off-white color, with a yellowish haze to it that could not be eliminated. That is where I was wrong.

I was out in my '11 Challenger R/T today, doing some things, breaking the speed limit, etc, and decided to cruise by the Tesla Service Center 15 miles away. In the parking lot, there were 5 Model S's and X's in Pearl White.

Since no one was around, I took my time, walking around them, looking from all angles. Some of them were clean, some were dusty, the sun was out, the sun was behind clouds, etc.

And I've got to say, the pearl white isn't bad. It is not the WHITE white I wanted, but it is a whole lot closer to it than I thought it would be. So I deem it to be acceptable for my 3.

But I still don't like Tesla's highway robbery $1000 price (get it? car? highway?). $500 or $600 would be reasonable, but there should be a no-cost paint option other than black. That is just plain wrong.

While I was there, I saw something odd. Somebody had ordered a Model X 75D, and had pimped it up with options to $153,250!!! Its VIN is XXXXXX. It had all the goodies. Full autopilot, 22 inch rims, everything except the most important option, the P100D! Or at least the 100D! Someone with more money than brains, probably some trust fund baby, ordered this thing. How could they not get the big battery astounds me.

You must have been in Wexford. I stopped there on Thursday.

While I was there, I saw something odd. Somebody had ordered a Model X 75D, and had pimped it up with options to $153,250!!! Its VIN is 051232. It had all the goodies. Full autopilot, 22 inch rims, everything except the most important option, the P100D! Or at least the 100D! Someone with more money than brains, probably some trust fund baby, ordered this thing. How could they not get the big battery astounds me.
Currently on the Tesla website, an X 75D with every possible option comes to $107,050.

I think you misinterpreted what you were seeing.

And as to someone ordering a Tesla the way they wanted it, I see no reason to vent about it publicly or stereotype them. If someone doesn't need the greater range, or can't afford it, why does that bother you so much?

About the paint color!

Tesla has the whitest pearl-white I've seen of all car manufacturers. The other guys look yellowish when parked next to a white car. That said, the pearl white does pick up colors from its surroundings. We have 2 Tesla's, one solid white and one pearl-white (was just as annoyed to not be able to get solid white, even waited a few months to see if they'd bring it back). When parked out is the sun, they both look white. When in the garage, pearl-white reflects the beige wall colors, so compared to the solid white next to it, it always looks like it needs a wash, even if both are freshly washed. :(

As for optioning out 75D, well, obviously someone made a different choice than you would, but it doesn't make them stupid. They obviously can afford a higher priced car than you can, so maybe it makes you feel better to think that they must have just been handed money, but the truth is, they may have a lot of brains, make a ton of cash, and simply spend that cash the way they feel like spending it.

If this is a thread to offer repentance for our wrong predictions:

1. I was wrong about free Supercharging on the Model 3 (I soothe myself by predicting idle fees).

2. I was also wrong about the HUD on the Model 3. (still on #teamHUD, but maybe refreshed S/X).

EDIT: after reading further replies, I see this is not the thread for that. But I wish to keep this post.

Currently on the Tesla website, an X 75D with every possible option comes to $107,050.

I thought $153K was awfully expensive, but the window sticker was right there on the dash, I was reading it. It said the car was $111K by itself, 7100 for autopilot, etc.

Maybe there are differences between the window sticker prices and online prices, but why would that be? I don't know, maybe I am confused, there was a P100D X there also. Maybe I pwned myself on this one.

And yes trm2, I was at the Wexford service center.

Are you a trust fund baby?

Not that it matters, but somehow it does - for purposes of sweeping stereotypical generalizations of your entire existence.
I wish! My adoptive dad was an artist & my adoptive mom didn't work outside the home. They quit helping me with homework when I hit long division. Zero inheritance.

I thought $153K was awfully expensive, but the window sticker was right there on the dash, I was reading it. It said the car was $111K by itself, 7100 for autopilot, etc.

Maybe there are differences between the window sticker prices and online prices, but why would that be? I don't know, maybe I am confused, there was a P100D X there also. Maybe I pwned myself on this one.

And yes trm2, I was at the Wexford service center.
7100 for autopilot? You are in Pittsburg, PA, USA? Right? Not Wexford, UK? :D Because Autopilot (EAP) is $5,000. FSD is $3,000. So, color me confused. Never mind your other prices off that sticker.

Enhanced Auto Pilot is $5,000, not "7100".

An X P100D with every possible option is $163,000.

Tesla only has one price, and it's on the website for the X at Order a Model X and the sticker on the car will match that price.

I am suggesting that you are confused about what you think you saw.

Reactions: Kacey Green

And as to someone ordering a Tesla the way they wanted it, I see no reason to vent about it publicly or stereotype them. If someone doesn't need the greater range, or can't afford it, why does that bother you so much?
$110,050 - you might have forgotten to up the wheels or picked a cheaper seating arrangement.

Maybe it had the extendend warranty on there for 8 yrs too $4000? But yes, no way to get near 150K without the P version

Thanks for the self-correction... perhaps making assumptions about other Tesla owner and/or their aesthetics could be re-evaluated too.
T.

About the paint color!

While I was there, I saw something odd. Somebody had ordered a Model X 75D, and had pimped it up with options to $153,250!!! Its VIN is 051232. It had all the goodies. Full autopilot, 22 inch rims, everything except the most important option, the P100D! Or at least the 100D! Someone with more money than brains, probably some trust fund baby, ordered this thing. How could they not get the big battery astounds me.