Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OLD MX 6-seat rear center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla won't sell me their new center console for the 6-seater 2nd row, I came up with a solution on my own. Doesn't look as good, and isn't as wide or tall. However, it's easily removable (not bolted down) and reasonably stable.

I started with a black Wolf console from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Wolf 38602000 Black Floor Console: Automotive
(Note that the picture on Amazon is white, but the description was accurate.)

upload_2017-6-26_17-25-51.png

I added some rubber footings, which screwed into the bottom. (I have rubber mats in the car, so the cloth bottom of the Wolf console tended to slide around a bit.)
QY 12PCS Black Color Square Shape Rubber Non Slip Non Skid Feet Pad for Table Desk Chair and Sofa - - Amazon.com

Then I attached steel brackets to both sides (with wood screws) to keep it from tipping during turns (since it's much narrower than the opening).
Amazon.com: Cafe Industrial Support Bracket - Federal Brace - Proudly Made in America (10", Grey): Home Improvement

For those interested, I used these screws, which turned out to be the perfect length.
Amazon.com: Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973291518 Phillips Flat TwinFast Wood Screws, 8 x 3/4-Inch, 100-Piece: Home Improvement

I also stuck some self-adhesive neoprene to the bottom of the brackets to keep them from sliding on the rubber.
Sponge Neoprene With Adhesive 1/16" Thick X 54" Wide X 1' Long - Raw Fabric And Textiles - Amazon.com

upload_2017-6-26_17-28-57.png

Note that these particular steel brackets only have holes on ONE of the arms, so you would have to drill holes in the other arm if you intended to bolt them to the floor.

So far the console stays put under reasonably hard braking, (as hard as I've needed to), ludicrous acceleration, and reasonably hard turns. No doubt it would slide around if you went crazy, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Especially since it can just be lifted out whenever I don't want it there.