Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Tesla tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my tires switched out at the service center last week (replaced the old 5-spoke 19" with some slipstreams). They put the old tires in my trunk and now that I've had them sitting at home the past few days I realize......I have absolutely no use for them what so ever.

They're not in particularly good shape (plenty of scrapes) so I can't imagine they're worth any meaningful amount of money to anyone. Tire recycling services I've found in my area either require some amount of scheduling or driving out further than I realistically can during the work day and I'd love to just be rid of them.

If I take these back to the SC will they just...take them from me? Is there any other reason I should keep these? Is there a market for old Model S tires out there?

Is there any local tire store nearby? They may ask for a disposal fee though.

I called a few nearby and they all said they'd only take them if I were buying tires from them specifically :/ I am sure I would eventually find one it's just an annoying process. I'm thinking of just driving up to the SC and asking them to take them and seeing what happens...

Well good news is I drove up to the SC and luckily got there when they were almost empty (usually its a mob scene there). They came out and asked what I needed, and so I asked very nicely if they'd take the tires from me.

They couldn't be nicer, and actually told me that they themselves have no idea what to do with all the old tires they have. They said the referral program tires (arachnids right?) have resulted in them having TONS of old tires and they have no idea what to do about it lol. That said, he helped me get everything valuable off them and rolled them away. Problem solved!

Wait, did you have tires or a whole wheel set?

If you had wheels you could have sold those.

Wheels but they were old, dingy, badly scraped up, and not very desirable. I've seen BRAND NEW version of the same wheel set going for $150-200 on craigslist here so it didn't feel like there was really much value to them. I also just didn't have anywhere to store them in the meantime.

Wheels but they were old, dingy, badly scraped up, and not very desirable. I've seen BRAND NEW version of the same wheel set going for $150-200 on craigslist here so it didn't feel like there was really much value to them. I also just didn't have anywhere to store them in the meantime.

Are you sure it wasn't $150/wheel and not for the set?

I guess if you don't find it worth the hassle to sell it's easier to just give them to the SC.