Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG car fire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's because, on average, there are something like 150,000 vehicle fires in the US per year. The common place isn't news...

Unless it was a Tesla, then it would be national news.

That was exactly my point, I guess the sarcasm didn't fully get across with the emojis :)

I've seen articles talk about a Tesla that caught fire in a crash, but the crash was at something stupid like 150 km/h into a concrete wall. Pretty much any car hitting at that speed will turn into a fireball....but it was because it was a Tesla that it caught fire :confused:

That was exactly my point, I guess the sarcasm didn't fully get across with the emojis :)

I've seen articles talk about a Tesla that caught fire in a crash, but the crash was at something stupid like 150 km/h into a concrete wall. Pretty much any car hitting at that speed will turn into a fireball....but it was because it was a Tesla that it caught fire :confused:

Nah, I got the sarcasm. It's just I've become brain damaged smacking my head against the wall of ignorance and misinformation from all the folks who tell me they're impractical, useless, too expensive, likely to fail, doesn't the battery die?, there isn't a charging station near my house, useless in the winter, etc. etc.

Which usually comes about 30 seconds after I tell them we've been driving a BEV for 5 years, 450km a week, frequently charging 60% twice a day in all weather conditions, never run out of juice and our battery is still at 95% capacity.

So running out the guns is virtually autonomic at this point.

Why would anyone let facts help inform their position? ;)

Get over it.
If a Buggatti lit up it would be news even though those are evil ICE.

Tesla is new and interesting.
Battery fires are hard to put out, can start later can restart once put out characteristics that make them stand out from ICE fires.

Everyone has a lithium battery in their pocket nobody thinks twice about till a very few start catching fire then we all heard about it, big news. It isn't the big anti-Tesla conspiracy the wannabe victims make it out to be.

If a Buggatti lit up it would be news even though those are evil ICE.
Many/most car fires get covered by local news. A car fire involving an "exotic" car will, in addition, probably make regional news. Tesla car fires make local, regional, national, and international news. They make the 24-hour Cable TV news shows and get discussed with guest panels, not just as an odd item of interest or a curio. They get widespread coverage in various media focusing on the car industry. And they are hyper covered by social media. Almost none of that beyond the regional news is likely to happen with car fires from other makes unless there's something very special about the owner/driver (e.g. a celebrity), some truly spectacular video of the incident, or some extra human interest involvement to the story that will pique viewer/consumer interest (e.g. heroic actions from a bystander to save an occupant).

But I agree it's mostly not as a result of the Anti-Tesla conspiracy. Just that the numbers of people who are interested in Tesla-related stuff and are willing to click on Tesla headlines or stay on that channel for Tesla stories is higher than for other makes. Just look at the number of Youtube vloggers whose content is tied to Tesla compared to those dedicated to other cars. It's clear that one brand drives a highly outsized "clicking interest" compared to the number of their vehicle owners.

Business Insider frequently seems to be a shill for the short camp

Could be disgruntled employees feeding FUD after being fired.

6/7 cell = good is 85%. Okay on a math test but terrible on a high volume manufacturing line. If they actually looked at the shift data by lot/time of production, they can pin point the lines and shifts that are ****ing up. I highly doubt such a high volume operation doesn't have RFID tags on skids to track vs a taped piece of paper.

This is the Japanese we're talking about, they took the assembly line and made it 97% efficient.

While there are very few tesla fires in the grand scheme of things, there are also very few Teslas on the road.

What if Teslas are 5x more likely to catch fire than any other brand? Would be a bit 'egg on face' if that was the case and someone was arguing that a few tesla fires aren't a big deal, as in this thread. Maybe it's a very big deal. Without those numbers, we have no idea.

While there are very few tesla fires in the grand scheme of things, there are also very few Teslas on the road.

What if Teslas are 5x more likely to catch fire than any other brand? Would be a bit 'egg on face' if that was the case and someone was arguing that a few tesla fires aren't a big deal, as in this thread. Maybe it's a very big deal. Without those numbers, we have no idea.

Those numbers are available...

• Helpful
Reactions: Doctor X

Remind me; how many people died in the GM ignition switch scandal?

Now, how many people have died starting their tesla?

Oh, right.....

It is true that if an EV does catch fire (no one is disputing that this happens) it can be very dangerous. But, how many fires are associated with ICE cars that we never hear about? It has nothing to do with the number on the road, it's just simply not 'sexy' news ...and that's kind of the point, is to call out that bias.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Remind me; how many people died in the GM ignition switch scandal?
Now, how many people have died starting their tesla?
Oh, right.....

It is true that if an EV does catch fire (no one is disputing that this happens) it can be very dangerous. But, how many fires are associated with ICE cars that we never hear about? It has nothing to do with the number on the road, it's just simply not 'sexy' news ...and that's kind of the point, is to call out that bias.
All I said was that the car fire stories might have merit if teslas are far more likely to catch fire than regular cars. Shouldn't facts be important? Let's see what the facts are on that first...if Teslas are 5x more likely to catch fire than the rest of the industry, I'd say that would be interesting. I agree the stories are anti-Tesla largely but I also think it's a poor way to argue saying 'OH THIS IS JUST SENSATIONALISM ALL CARS CATCH FIRE!' when you might be embarrassed to find out that while they do, no car catches fire as often as a Tesla.

That line of defense (all cars catch fire so tesla fires are no big deal) is similar to what the Pit Bull lobby does, arguing that 'all dogs bite' therefore pit bull attacks are no big deal. While all dogs bite, pit bulls, which make up only 3% of the dog population in north america, are responsible for over 50% of dog attacks that require hospitalization and for a whopping 60% of the dog attacks that kill people. So while all dogs bite, Pit Bulls are far more dangerous than any other dog and writing off their attacks as no big deal is ignorant and dangerous. If all cars catch fire, what if Teslas are more prone to catch fire than any other brand?

Relating this to the GM ignition switch recall is funny...we're talking about car fires...not ignition switches (which had nothing to do with fires). Starting the car wasn't the problem with the GM recall. It was that the car could be accidentally turned off rather easily if you had big key chain for example and bumped it with your knee while driving, causing a loss to power aids like steering and braking. But hey, why confuse the issue with facts? Pretending the GM cars killed people when they turned the ignition like a mob hit blowing someone up is much more sensational right? Ironic...see what you did there?

Last edited:
All I said was that the car fire stories might have merit if teslas are far more likely to catch fire than regular cars. Shouldn't facts be important? Let's see what the facts are on that first...if Teslas are 5x more likely to catch fire than the rest of the industry, I'd say that would be interesting. I agree the stories are anti-Tesla largely but I also think it's a poor way to argue saying 'OH THIS IS JUST SENSATIONALISM ALL CARS CATCH FIRE!' when you might be embarrassed to find out that while they do, no car catches fire as often as a Tesla.

That line of defense (all cars catch fire so tesla fires are no big deal) is similar to what the Pit Bull lobby does, arguing that 'all dogs bite' therefore pit bull attacks are no big deal. While all dogs bite, pit bulls, which make up only 3% of the dog population in north america, are responsible for over 50% of dog attacks that require hospitalization and for a whopping 60% of the dog attacks that kill people. So while all dogs bite, Pit Bulls are far more dangerous than any other dog and writing off their attacks as no big deal is ignorant and dangerous. If all cars catch fire, what if Teslas are more prone to catch fire than any other brand?

Relating this to the GM ignition switch recall is funny...we're talking about car fires...not ignition switches (which had nothing to do with fires). Starting the car wasn't the problem with the GM recall. It was that the car could be accidentally turned off rather easily if you had big key chain for example and bumped it with your knee while driving, causing a loss to power aids like steering and braking. But hey, why confuse the issue with facts? Pretending the GM cars killed people when they turned the ignition like a mob hit blowing someone up is much more sensational right? Ironic...see what you did there?
At no point did I pretend GM cars exploded like some mob hit, but I see how you can assume my words suggest that. I was referring to something that happened which garnered 'some' media attention, but then was brushed under the rug....GM avoided much of the responsibility of the ignition scandal by 're branding' as 'New GM' and claiming 'New GM' cant be responsible for the actions of 'Old GM' or something ridiculous like that....not exactly the same situation I agree, but its an example of the double standard in today's oil driven society with these companies deemed 'too big to fail'.

I am merely pointing out (as you admit above) these stories are anti-Tesla (actually anti-EV, but since Tesla's are the most popular EV and this is a Tesla forum I referenced that brand)

I do want to keep this a fruitful debate, and focus on the facts, but I also dont want to have this turn into a rabbit hole so will try and state my position a bit more clearly with some facts (and admittedly, some personal bias since I'm sure I will be accused of that as well).

To start I want to address something you've mentioned twice now; multiple times you ask "what if Tesla's are 5x more likely to catch fire?" I find it odd how you ask an open question like that, then go on to use that statement as some sort of fact to prove your point. I've never seen any proof that Teslas catch fire 5x more often than an ICE car...in fact its this sort of statement that proves my point about the fear mongering of EVs....

If indeed Tesla's are 5x more likely to catch fire than ice cars, I agree that it would be a problem. But I seriously question that statement....so lets look at some numbers:

1. There are about 268 million cars on the road in the US (source): https://www.quora.com/How-many-cars-are-there-in-the-US
2. From 2014-2016 there was an average of 171,500 car vehicle fires per year (source): https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v19i2.pdf

So, thats a ratio of around 0.064% (171,500/268,000,000)

3. I could also hedge bets and add in refuelling related vehicle fires (those that occur at the gas pump), which amount to an additional 5,020 fires per year on average, but I wont do that (source): NFPA Journal - New Fuels, New Fueling, May June 2017

4. By Q1 2019 Tesla has produced 603,858 cars worldwide (not just delivered in the US). Tesla, Inc. - Wikipedia
5. In the same link it is mentioned that 182,400 Teslas were sold in the US last year

So IF Tesla cars were 5x more likely to catch fire than ICE cars, we should be seeing around 0.06% * 5 = 0.32% of the total number of Teslas go up in smoke, right? Except the problem with that is I haven't seen any evidence that 0.32% * 603,858 = 1,932 Teslas have gone up in flames since they started producing cars?

Also, lets take even last year of sales in the US: if 0.32% of them catch fire, then 0.32% * 182,400 = 584 of the teslas sold last year should catch fire this year.....and I just dont believe we are seeing almost 2 teslas/day in the US catching fire, am I?

Maybe there is an error in my logic because I did this on the fly, so if there is please let me know. But in my opinion this demonstrates that if nothing else EVs are MUCH less likely to pose a fire risk vs ICE vehicles.

As I said above, I do definitely agree that an EV fire can be much more difficult to deal with, but that's not the point I was trying to make.

I dont intend my post to come off as argumentative, but its difficult to have a debate on the interwebs without someone taking offence. Lets try and keep the debate civil and stick to the facts.

Even if my math above is off by an order of magnitude, that would mean we should be seeing 50-60 Tesla fires/year in the US...that's 1/week for an entire year. If that happened the media would be having a feeding frenzy. As it is, 1 happens in China with no real back story, and its front page news everywhere :confused:

let's look at them. Where would you get them?
all I found was this...a clickbait site that claims the model S is the most fire prone car. The site name is fitting lol.

These 20 Cars Have The Highest Chances Of Catching On Fire!
Really? All I can say is wow. What's the point of even posting this ridiculousness?

They have the Chevy Volt as the #14 most fire prone car, and their evidence to that fact is 2 (ONLY 2....) volts that were involved in a fire...and they go on to say the fire inspectors said the volt in each case had nothing to do with the fire, yet they say to 'keep an extinguisher handy'....wow.

And the #1 car, the model S has evidence in the amount of 3 burned after crashing in 2013, 1 in Norway in 2016 and 1 in France in the same year. Wow, that's crazy unsafe.....hide your kids, hide your wife.....

To top it all off....they have the Ford Pinto as #6, yet admit it had a design flaw that could cause it to burst into flames when in a rear collision. 6 People died this way, hundreds more injured....but there are 5 cars more prone to car fire than this one?

Again, I'll ask the question: what would happen if 8/11 Tesla's that underwent crash testing 'exploded' like the Pinto's apparently did...and this is a car that was apparently produced for 9 years in volume? Sheesh!