Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On board charger issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S is at the service center. I had a problem in August with supercharging (Would not take a charge)
so I made an appt. and 2 months was the earliest I could get.
So my car has been at the SC since Friday morning and it took the weekend to find the issue. Received a voicemail call today and the problem was the "on-board charger" which is on order and should be replaced by Wednesday. Not a firmware issue.
I am confused though as my understanding is the on board charger is used only with 110v, 14-50 charging etc........ The supercharger is it's own charger and bypasses the on board charger, right? I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I could not find a thread with this info. My normal everyday plug-in worked just fine. It was only a supercharger problem.

But the onboard charger is in the circuit and if it has a current leak or something in it that might prevent the safety checks that the Supercharger does from passing.

I'm guessing that he will have more details once he gets the service invoice when he picks the car up.

Doesn't the SpC bypass the onboard charger?

Pretty much but my understanding is that the Supercharger powers the DC bus that is attached to the on-board charger. So a fault in the on-board charger can cause Supercharging to fail. (Though most of the on-board charger faults we have seen prevent AC charging but still allow Supercharging, so this would be a new one.)

I am picking up the car today :) I am going to ask for a decent explanation if only for my own curiosity and will update the forum. I don't doubt the diagnosis, after all wth do I know? SC passed it on to the "engineering dep't" when it was deemed not a firmware issue.
Thanks for the responses.

I have actually enjoyed driving the loaner since it is an original. It is marked as a 2012 and the VIN# 1272 is just over the first thousand made. o_O

So, I picked my car up from the service center. I must say I am more than happy with the service and the staff in Syosset, NY.
The on-board charger was replaced and I asked about why, how etc....
I was told this problem has not been seen before o_Obut they will be looking into it for the future.
Confirmed for me that yes, the SPC bypasses the on-board but for some reason was unable to. It works just fine with the new one.
My experience with my first Tesla service appt. was very positive. Other than the 2 month wait for an appt. I have no complaints. Very friendly staff and were patient with my questions. I like to know "why" :) things happen.
The car was delivered with a good cleaning.
Dropped off the loaner and I was on my way.:)

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
We are in the middle of a trip and are heading home. At 2 different Superchargers the car would sit with “Charging will start momentarily” for 10 minutes. Tried the scroll wheel reboot and other stations. After 15 minutes or so would finally start charging. Called Tesla Service and took it into Tyson’s Corner. They gave us a Yukon loaner :-(. Called this morning and diagnosed the problem as the on board charger. The explanation was the communication section of the board that talks to the DC was faulty. $2200 plus Virginia sales tax.