Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On my 5th HVAC failure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

See my post about the previous failures in the link above.

It’s 39deg/f out and my 2020 MYP has a climate system requires service message and won’t heat… urgh! Now at 87k miles.

Service has been notified and waiting to schedule. I’m so glad I still have a aftermarket warranty.

Anyone think it’s time to trade in?

It’s 39deg/f out and my 2020 MYP has a climate system requires service message and won’t heat… urgh! Now at 87k miles.

Service has been notified and waiting to schedule. I’m so glad I still have a aftermarket warranty.

I am interested to learn more about the aftermarket warranty....please share your experience.

If you have had 5 failures something else is wrong that is causing it to fail prematurely.

The aftermarket warranty is good for 120k and cost about $4k.

I’m going to ask them to explain the repeated failures and see if their engineers want to buy it from me so they can analyze it and make improvements..😂

I suppose I was out to prove these cars are reliable and was planning to keep it for 200k. How am I doing so far?

BTW VCFRONT_a447 FTW!

I like your amused approach to this, but of course you should strenuously press for a real solution to this repeated failure of a high-dollar system.

What could possibly be going wrong, except incompetence of the techs doing the repairs? Have the repairs been done at the same SC, with the same techs? If so, maybe it's time they are asked to seek employment elsewhere.

(My 12/2020 produced MYLR has an audible low-frequency rumble when the compressor cycles on. It's loud enough to wake me from my power naps, while recharging, when I'm on road trips. Does/did yours make this sound? I'm curious.)

Five failures in 200k miles would be unacceptable, but seriously, in 87k miles? Totally unacceptable.

Which aftermarket warranty? What was the cost of the HVAC repairs?

If you have had 5 failures something else is wrong that is causing it to fail prematurely.
Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Its fairly obvious that whatever the root cause actually is, Tesla has not been able to identify it as well.

Statistically, this seems highly improbable. Unless there is an independent root cause separate from whatever HVAC parts they are replacing. So, yeah, if I were you, I would no-brainer trade-in.

Electrical gremlins are some of the hardest ones to resolve. I would absolutely dump this car if this were my situation. Note that I would probably buy another Model Y to replace it, because I like the vehicle. If the OP is in that same boat (which I assume they are, or they would have dumped it already after time 3 or 4) I would still trade it in on a new one (or something else if you dont have faith in the platform any longer.

Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Its fairly obvious that whatever the root cause actually is, Tesla has not been able to identify it as well.

Electrical gremlins are some of the hardest ones to resolve. I would absolutely dump this car if this were my situation. Note that I would probably buy another Model Y to replace it, because I like the vehicle. If the OP is in that same boat (which I assume they are, or they would have dumped it already after time 3 or 4) I would still trade it in on a new one (or something else if you dont have faith in the platform any longer.
VIN for a 7 seater was assigned yesterday...

"God, just give me a sign."

I thought about this. The problem could be electrical or the system could be contaminated. If the system is contaminated it could fail quickly and repeatedly. On your previous repairs what does your invoice say was replaced?

This is not Tesla specific but gives you a general idea of how contamination can wreak havoc on the system. They need to check other parts of the system for contamination and replace parts if nescessary.

Trading it in doesn't solve the problem and right now is a really bad time to trade any vehicle. Plus, you don't want to pass off this problem to some unfortunate new Tesla owner. Start by taking a look at all your previous invoices and see what they did/didn't do.

Reactions: GSP and Pianewman
The compressor and super manifold have been replaced several times along with a couple refrigerant lines. They have not replaced any interior heat exchangers. I’m not sure if its refrigerant or coolant cooling the interior, but I bet it’s refrigerant.. I’ll ask.
Yeah that is a tough one for sure. It sounds like the compressor failure is the symptom and not the problem. The actual problem I would bet is causing premature compressor failure. This sucks...but you would think the warranty company would start to get more involved since they have to keep paying out. They have a vested interest in Tesla getting this fixed properly.

Couldn’t you invoke lemon law and get them to buy this back? Typically they have 3 chances to permanently fix the problem. With 5 HVAC failures, seems like you’d already qualify.
If its legally possible I don't think anyone could argue he hasn't given them a reasonable number of repair attempts. 5 failures and 87,000 miles. If the mileage doesn't disqualify then he might have a case if it is within the timeframe outlined in his state. I am not an attorney of course....but one might be able to argue he has been trying to resolve it since the first failure.

Where did you get the aftermarket warranty from? I am interested in one but not sure who sells them. Would yours be considered a lemon or is it too late?