Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the Fence- To FSD or Not to FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see an option button to remove FSD from my reservation but haven't tried it yet. Is this button new where it will remove the FSD and the 10,000? I want to remove it and save the 10k but not at the risk of paying 11K more because I locked in the payment 6 months ago and it would revert back to the current base price for the car. I tried to make a different change on my reservation and it changed to the new pricing and I quickly exited back out of that one.
Hey- just used that button! It takes a second but all totals on both the app and the website both take the 10k off the top with no issues. It even updated to documents! You should be fine unless you have already paid for in full. I'd contact a Tesla rep if that is the case.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Thank you to everyone who has dropped an opinion in here over the past day- I elected to remove FSD from my build. It was fast an easy! Thanks again for helping me break my mental stalemate. Don't let my decision hold you back from dropping a comment in here however- It might help somebody in my position clear up their own quarrel!

• Informative
Reactions: hellocar
As others have said, definitely NOT worth the money. You can always try it for $200 and see for yourself. If you do have $10,000 burning a hole in your pocket, buy TSLA. I was debating whether or not to buy FSD at $8K just before the last price increase or invest that money in stock. I chose poorly and bought FSD. The stock would be worth $24K now and FSD is mostly worthless.

Love my Tesla, love using AP on highway (I am a 2018 buyer with EAP). Lifesaver in highway stop&go traffic.
Use it a bit on well-marked, double-yellow divided local roads a bit too.
It continues to get better and better, for sure.. but it is like Zeno's paradox.
I'm not ever sure it "gets there" for FSD.

What FSD offers vs what I actually use / the car is good at, is a different question.

I got FSD when it was like $2k.
It is nowhere near being worth $10k.
Maybe they finally nail true FSD at some point but odds its with existing HW configuration and before you upgrade to a new car are under 50%.
Even the non-FSD features wrapped into FSD package are basically unreliable toys.

Self parking is a joke.
It's slower than me, and pickier as the what spots it "sees".
In NYC tight parallel parking, it ignores about 80% of open spots.
For the 20% it "sees" it parks slower than me, and bails out asking for me to complete the parking about 40% of the time.
Outside the city in luxuriously wide open spots it's hit rate is inverted - it "sees" 80% of the spots, and succeeds in 60% of attempts.
My most recent use it curb-rashed my rims in a perfectly wide open spot.
My rims are already pretty rough from NYC driving, so I am not super protective of them anymore so I didn't stop the car from continuing to re-adjust itself into the curb.
A few months back one of the updates turned the self-park experience into an erratic wheel-jerking fest, so I stopped using it a few months to prevent scaring nearby bystanders.

Summon is a novelty.
I tried using Summon recently for fun in a huge (multi-acre), well-marked, wide open (95% empty) beach parking lot.
The car kind of started moving at about 3mph then disconnected a bit, stuttered and gave up after barely moving half way out of its parking lot.
Further attempts repeatedly failed with a few different messages in the app.

I'm sure this will elicit a barrage of "works on my box" and "you're holding it wrong" responses.
Look I love the car, I'm gonna buy another soon, but honestly FSD is not worth $10k, it was barely worth $2k.

Note even the people saying "I love FSD, I use it on the highway", if you read between the lines they are really talking about AP or EAP features. The only FSD specific features are the automatic lane changes and on/off ramp handling.. which are to be honest the worst performing parts of the on-highway experience. I LOVE AP on the highway, and the lane changes are *pretty pretty good* 50% of the time. I do not let the car handle ramps as it frequently aggressively drops the speed immediately on exit ramp, doesn't speed up enough on the on-ramp, or can't handle the tight curves.

Last edited:
I paid $5K in June 2019 and generally I have enjoyed using it where applicable, especially for long interstate drives where NoA kicks in fully with auto lane change, taking exits, etc. This feature allows me to make much longer drives with far less driving fatigue and navigates well, so I am satisfied. Realistically I never expected the car to fully drive itself, I knew what I was buying at $5k.

BUT having the Beta since 10.3.1 and letting the car drive everywhere is far different, and seems to cause me more stress than it relieves. While it is impressive in some ways I would never pay $10k for what is being pushed with the current beta 10.5. Most especially cars that require the cabin camera (my MS does not thankfully) and steering wheel tension - absolutely irritating and not worth anywhere near $10K. If I have to be monitored that closely for what is supposedly Full Self Driving then I do not want it at all, not even for free. Just my opinion.

Thank you to everyone who has dropped an opinion in here over the past day- I elected to remove FSD from my build. It was fast an easy! Thanks again for helping me break my mental stalemate. Don't let my decision hold you back from dropping a comment in here however- It might help somebody in my position clear up their own quarrel!
If anything, just Subscribe to FSD Beta. At $200 a month, you would have to go 4.2 Years to get to the $10,000.00, the pay in full amount. And you can cancel at any time, and then it's good to the end of that 30 day period you had subscribed to. Fair chance is you won't even own that car in 4.2 years? Just a thought.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Interesting that of the18 replies only 2 people said FSD is worth the money.
My son who owns a Model Y asked me the same question and I told him no.
If they offered a less expensive option for just the highway he would consider that.

No, its not surprising at all. I have said this before, but almost anyone who actually likes FSD is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over having that discussion, especially in this subforum, so all you have left are people who dont like it, or a couple of holdouts who enjoy arguing with people online.

This question will always get this response in this subforum, at these levels, and I doubt it actually reflects what "everyone" thinks. Just the most vocal people who hate it.

With that being said, I dont think I would pay 10k for it, even though I have it on my model 3 and am pretty happy with what I paid for it and what I have gotten out of it so far. I was considering getting a model Y for my wife to replace her X3 and would not have added it to that order. "Autopilot" as it stands is perfectly acceptable.

In my own case, purchasing FSD got me the "FSD computer" and I got FSD tacked onto what I paid for EAP for 2k during the firesale. I got it at the time simply to get the new computer, not for any features I was missing, which is likely why I am happy with the purchase. I personally DID get something (a new computer) for the 2k purchase price, and the new computer was worth 2k to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fernand
Well, FWIW, as someone who got EAP 3 years ago and then upgraded to FSD, my honest summary is
-- Auto-park is just useful in a few situations, like backing up into Superchargers and some parallel spots.
-- Summon I've used twice. Meh. Who cares.
-- NOA, driving to a destination with auto-lane changes and freeway interchanges, I wouldn't enjoy driving without it now.
With changes in the software NOA has sometimes "regressed", where briefly taking over manually is advisable at times. So what.

-- FSD Beta adds unprotected highways to the NOA, so it's like NOA+. I'm becoming dependent on it too.

-- FSD Beta on city streets is a mixed bag. On cleanly laid out roads it's quite good, it's an extension of NOA, I love it.
In crowded areas, or where the streets are narrow, it's impressive, but as of 10.5 it's still for the Beta testers at heart.

Personally, I don't have money to burn, but NOA's been worth every dime, and I would never buy (another) Tesla without the full package. I don't like the basic autopilot that requires disengaging to change lanes.

The "FSD" package is not autonomous Level 5 operation. This is entirely different from robotaxis that operate in limited zones. It's a driver assist that works on all roads and is of great value once you learn how best to use it. I'm nervous about blind spots. Changing lanes and freeways used to be quite stressful. Getting around has been much more enjoyable sitting in the cockpit and attentively letting the machine do the busy work. For me, NOA is great. Judging by the rate of progress on the FSD beta, the extension of NOA to non-freeway highways and boulevards should be available to non-beta tester "FSD" owners pretty soon, like by mid 2022.

If you can afford it, of course I think you should buy it, why get half a Tesla -- unless you're a fast driver with great reflexes who enjoys driving like a bat out of hell, and wouldn't stoop to using traditional cruise control. You know who I mean.

Last edited: